no more cable boxes.

R

rcbridge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 22, 2003
Limerick Pa
Interesting article, but let's see how it pans out and will Sony share the technology?
Remember Betamax!!

riffjim4069

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
I thought Tru2way was nothing more than OpenCable? If so, isn't this technology owned and licensed by CableLabs (aka Comcast, Time Warner, etc.) and Consumer Electronics manufacturers such as Sony, Samsung, LG, etc., will have to pay CableLabs to use it with their products.

Overall I see this as a win-win-win...Cable gets out of the STB business (but still gets a share of the pie since they license the technology), CE makers get to market new technologies, and consumers get more choices since this technology can be licences in just about anything that can run a JAVA.

As far as Betamax...what does that or Blu-Ray have to do with a CableLabs two-way digital standard for CE?

Anyway, we shall see how well this works for consumers.

jegrant

jegrant

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 5, 2005
My only problem with this is that it seems like another convenient way for the networks and movie studios to "enforce" various copyrights and restrictions. Can I build my own open source HTPC with this technology? I should have the right, if I so choose.