No more DNS?

I've had AAD for a few months now and was getting ready to switch to DISH DNS just for the HD on west coast feeds and less money overall. Literally had the paperwork filled out and ready to put in the mail. Bummer.

Guess it comes down to a b/width issue.With all the AMC channels coming back plus the PAC12 and alternates they could be very strapped for b/width.I really don't see how they would be losing any money by offering DNS.Even one set of DNS in HD would be better than none though.

The problem with DIRECTV is the cost of the dance card to get into HD being pretty high as you can't use just any old dish (tripod users don't need to fret). Truckers typically can't use tripods.

What is so expensive about getting hd from Directv?

What is so expensive about getting HD from DirecTV?
If you had an RV with a roof dome dish, you would have to get a Winegard Trav'ler to receive DirecTV HD as DirecTV choose to use a different frequency LNBF for HD. Likewise, you have to use a fairy new tripod dish for DirecTV HD.

Whereas Dish stayed with the same frequency LNBF, existing roof domes can be used (if the satellites can be programmed in). You can use a DPP 500, DPP 1000, DPP 1000.2 or a DPP 1000.4 dish for Dish HD..

I have a question.

Now I understand people that want the distant locals for varrious reasons. Not the basis of my question.

Just aimed at RVers, and other moble applications (inland barges, truckers, marine, etc). Legitimate users not using the RV loophole, but legitimate users.

I've never owned an RV. But I travel a lot, and part of traveling is seeing the local TV. Different perspectives on the news. Local weather. Goofy local commercials. And so on.

So, since 95% of the country has locals, if there was a system where the box knew (or was told via some entry on a keypad) where it was and installed the true local channels for you to watch while in that local area, why would that not be far preferable?

And I just had a Winegard Trav'ler 1000 installed on my RV. I hope they will still let us have the local spotbeams if we are somewhere for a while. Had I known this in August, it would have been GOODBYE DISH. And DISH still has some spotbeam areas with no HD service. I have always kept AAD just so I would have something in route. Sure wish they would let them go back to HD.

No one is stopping them from providing HD.

I have a question.

Now I understand people that want the distant locals for varrious reasons. Not the basis of my question.

Just aimed at RVers, and other moble applications (inland barges, truckers, marine, etc). Legitimate users not using the RV loophole, but legitimate users.

I've never owned an RV. But I travel a lot, and part of traveling is seeing the local TV. Different perspectives on the news. Local weather. Goofy local commercials. And so on.

So, since 95% of the country has locals, if there was a system where the box knew (or was told via some entry on a keypad) where it was and installed the true local channels for you to watch while in that local area, why would that not be far preferable?

For some you would be correct. And in some cases you can still do that. (minus the memory keyboard) If you have a an account that includes locals you can call Dish and have them turn on the locals where you are. I don't know if that works out if you are calling everyday, but it works if you have a vacation home for example.

For others however they like a familiar channel. An example might be satellite radio. They might rather listen to channels from there when traveling.

So, since 95% of the country has locals, ..........................?

That might be 95% of the population, but certainly not 95% of the country, especially if you consider the limited range of RV antennas. We go a number of places where we have no local OTA TV. Since things went digital, we find that about 30 miles is our maximum range. At my stick built home, in a city of 4,700, we can only get decent reception of one ABC station with a good outside antenna. And that depends on your location in town. antennaweb.org says we have no stations available. One location we have gone to for over 10 years to is 178 miles, as the crow flies, from the nearest TV station. When you get away from the big cities, there is very little to be found. And where a hotel you stay at might have cable tv, that does not indicate any of the RV parks in the same city do.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm confused. I just got off the phone, speaking with Havier in Dish customer service, and he says their system has no record of distant network locals going away. I explained to him that I had received an email from Dish saying that DNS would be provided by All American Direct in the future. He says he can find no record of that email ever being sent.

Anybody know what's up?

I'm living and traveling in my RV and would really like to continue receiving LA and NY stations.

Are we being scammed?

Update... I went to Dish.com to the forums and found an answer from Dish that says this is true, they are dropping DNS as of 11-15-12. I guess Dish Customer Service is in the dark in this one.

I have a contact inside Dish and DNS is going away on the 15th, So it is back to AAD with NY and SF.

I wonder if there had been no AAD for a fall-back, would Dish have dropped the DNS market. I don't think so.

Ok, I'm confused. I just got off the phone, speaking with Havier in Dish customer service, and he says their system has no record of distant network locals going away. I explained to him that I had received an email from Dish saying that DNS would be provided by All American Direct in the future. He says he can find no record of that email ever being sent.

Anybody know what's up?

I'm living and traveling in my RV and would really like to continue receiving LA and NY stations.

Are we being scammed?

So you take the work of a Dish telephone CSR over Scott? I'd believe a hedgehog first. :)

I have the Winegard Traveler and javelin been getting DNS from Dish in HD and Sd. Now that we go to AAD is SD our only choice? Will there be any way to get Distant networks in our RV in HD?

At this time there are two possible ways to get the networks in HD. That can be from an OTA antennna, or having Dish turn on the locals for your location.
AAD is only SD. You can have both AAD,and have Dish turn on the locals and/or use an OTA antenna.

Last edited:
At this time there are two possible ways to get the networks in HD. That can be from an OTA antennna, or having Dish turn on the locals for your location.
AAD is only SD. You can have both AAD,and have Dish turn on the locals and/or use an OTA antenna.
The "locals", in HD will only work with your Trav'ler if the HD feeds are on 110, 119, or 129. A number of the newer spotbeams in our area use 77 for HD. The option would be to check out the spotbeam charts at http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=dishnetworkmarkets&sub=true and find the spotbeam maps and see if an overlapping spotbeam will work. Then you just give them a RV Park that would fall in the other spotbeam. For example, Hot Springs, Arkansas is in the Little Rock, AR, area but Little Rock HD is on Sat 77. Hot Springs also falls under the Memphis, TN spotbeam and they have the HD on Sat 129.

So if I tell Dish that my service address is in LA, will I get the current DNS nation-wide LA stations (KABC, KNBC, KCBS, KTTV) as my locals and would I still be able to get them "locally" nation-wide? and in HD?

I would lose the east coast SD DNS stations, but still have half of the old DNS stations as my locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)