No More HBO in Dolby Digital?!?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jsternth

Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Over the past few months i have noticed that nothing on HBO from Cablevision in Stamford, CT is coming through in Dolby Digital? Just crappy pro-logic. Has anyone else noticed this? Other stations like Starz & Encore still come through ok, but we miss our Sopranos in Dolby!!:mad:

Are you talking the HD channels? I never watch the SD movie channels, but all the HD channels come through in 5.1 :) (well mostly 5.1)

I've also noticed the last few weeks I get no DD 5.1 for (SD) HBO on the Sopranos and recent movies. Usually all the speaker on indicators light up but now I only see L & R (front) and S. The only change to the cable setup has been an amp that was added by Cablevision to the beginning of the line.
I did a test with a 5.1 DVD and the reciever is working fine.

I am speaking referring to the SD channels as well. DD is no more. What happened?!? I called cablevision and got the standard its not us reply.

If the digital (SD) feeds are being sent directly to Cablevision as digital feeds and simply being passed on then it may not be Cablevision's problem.

Someone in another form suggested that when HBO started it's HD feed they may have dropped support for DD 5.1 on the SD feed to save bandwith.

The HBO FAQ says, "Dolby Digital 5.1/AC3 stereo availability -- Can I receive Dolby Digital 5.1 audio on HBO/Cinemax?

HBO Dolby Digital 5.1 audio is available on our HBO Eastern and Pacific digital feeds.

HBO's commitment to Dolby Digital 5.1 is significant. 70% of titles, representing major theatrical premieres are shown in Dolby Digital 5.1."

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)