No more HD Distant Networks?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Isn't there supposed to be some Dish people on this group to provide answers? Sort of odd they are so quiet. Especially would like to know about grandfathering since the Sobongo(AAD NPS) / Dish fiasco
surrounding this is not any of our doing.

If history prevails, doubtful they even know. Dish rarely announces anything (even to reps) until it is in play.

Isn't there supposed to be some Dish people on this group to provide answers? Sort of odd they are so quiet. Especially would like to know about grandfathering since the Sobongo(AAD NPS) / Dish fiasco
surrounding this is not any of our doing.

Not at all odd to me. It should tell you they do not know, or not allowed to talk about it until something concrete is set.

I really doubt that you will be "Grandfathered." There is nothing to be grandfathered, Dish was not offering distants, a different provider was. It would be like telling Direct TV you are grandfathered because you had distants with AAD. Not going to happen. Not to mention you can not be served by Dish with locals even if you are in a white zone. Again, RV owners and TT drivers would be the ones to benefit if Dish provides distants. If a third party does it, as I suspect is really possible, that would make it far more available. But even then, you won't be grandfathered. You will need to qualify under whatever rules presently exist, just as we did with AAD. And for many, those rules were different than with dish.

Grandfathered,typically means you are getting distants from a provider, and conditions (really meaning rules) change to where the provider can no longer offer that distant. You, being grandfathered, would still be allowed to keep them unless you drop them. Not the other way around if Dish drops them......The provider is not required to offer distants.

Last edited:
Usually you need to supply a receipt or invoice from the previous supplier. Many of us are using the AAD SD feeds that are still available. That may be able to get one in. Hopefully such a test can happen soon because I doubt that AAD in any of its incarnations is long for this world. You may be correct but this is then an injustice that the FCC and your congressional representatives should be made very aware of. Denial of information from distant stations which may differ greatly from local affiliates does interfere strongly with our ability to make correct decisions. From the standpoint of equal treatment there is no reason
a RV owner or Truck-driver should have these privileges and a homeowner or tenant should not.
It is unfortunate that what you say about DISH reps. is most likely true because that makes them superfluous to any interests here and I see no good reason to bring in Direct or anyone else since the action is moot.

I would like to know what is going on. Why does Dish just leave the AAD HD subscribers hanging? At least tell us what is going on. Anything else is just a poor way to treat the customer.

Scott said the DNS service would be started soon, but that was a few weeks ago. Is there any further update?

Keep in mind that AAD is NOT Dish, they are a completely different company. Dish is not leaving customers hanging. They have no requirement to supply distant networks. When they decide they have a market for it, including a real market, not the market that most are from :), they will turn them on.

I would like to know what is going on. Why does Dish just leave the AAD HD subscribers hanging? At least tell us what is going on. Anything else is just a poor way to treat the customer.

Scott said the DNS service would be started soon, but that was a few weeks ago. Is there any further update?

Scott never said DNS would be started. He just mentioned that Dish has 2 sets of HD locals on the CONUS TP that was vacated by AAD. The fact that Dish would bother to set up a transponder with an east and west ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC in HD on CONUS implies they might be thinking about it.

Maybe it will not be Dish that offers these distants. Perhaps they are working out a deal with a different company that will pay Dish more money to lease the transponder.

Another company offering distants would make a lot more people happy since those in white areas could get distants, something Dish would not be able to deliver since they carry the locals in every markets. Grandfathering is useless with Dish since they would be entering the market as a new company status. Dish would only be able to offer the service to RV type customers.

Scott never said DNS would be started. He just mentioned that Dish has 2 sets of HD locals on the CONUS TP that was vacated by AAD. The fact that Dish would bother to set up a transponder with an east and west ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC in HD on CONUS implies they might be thinking about it.

Maybe it will not be Dish that offers these distants. Perhaps they are working out a deal with a different company that will pay Dish more money to lease the transponder.

Another company offering distants would make a lot more people happy since those in white areas could get distants, something Dish would not be able to deliver since they carry the locals in every markets. Grandfathering is useless with Dish since they would be entering the market as a new company status. Dish would only be able to offer the service to RV type customers.

What I had based my statement on was post #59 in this thread and post #9 in the Jan. 26 uplink report.

Another company offering distants would make more subscribers eligible, but there might be another fiasco like the current AAD fiasco if that company discontinues service. Dish carries locals in every market, but can still offer distants in short markets. In fact, with neighboring distants, that is what Dish is currently doing in short markets. The law allows up to two distants per network per day, so Dish could sell an additional distant per network in each short market.

Keep in mind that AAD is NOT Dish, they are a completely different company. Dish is not leaving customers hanging. They have no requirement to supply distant networks. When they decide they have a market for it, including a real market, not the market that most are from :), they will turn them on.
The only reason i stayed with dish was the fact that AAD was going to have networks in HD. My original contract was long expired and i even talked to DirecTV about changing.
Now I have 2 DVR's, a contract and no networks in HD. In fact, it was not until January that Dish offered me out of area network stations in SD.

Since I can get NYC locals in the USVI, if I use my New York address, but lose all my HD spot beam channels or I can use my USVI address and get HD programing but lose my NYC networks just goes to show how screwed up Dish is. If they all ready have NYC and CA locals on the 119 in SD on ConUS. why can they just make them available for all in HD

Enough already Dish

Dish & AAD were working together on this HD effort. I am another one who wanted Chicago HD very much for personal reasons. The deal fell apart for undisclosed reasons. That makes both of them responsible to the customers involved. Without Dish AAD would have to do its own uplink on C band to the much reduced 4DTV market. Not financially viable. They are both to be held responsible to make this right.

Dish & AAD were working together on this HD effort. I am another one who wanted Chicago HD very much for personal reasons. The deal fell apart for undisclosed reasons. That makes both of them responsible to the customers involved. Without Dish AAD would have to do its own uplink on C band to the much reduced 4DTV market. Not financially viable. They are both to be held responsible to make this right.

Simply not true. AAD is a completely separate company, buying transponder space, selling a product. Dish made it very clear - both in legal offerings to the court and in real practice that they had nothing at all to do with the distants being offered. Do you remember the challenge made to this by the networks and I think Direct TV? Dish proved in a very contentious (towards Dish) court that the service was indeed very separate from Dishnetwork.
You were qualified and had your distants turned on by AAD, not Dish. AAD has (still does) direct access to their leased transponders to turn on people's service. In fact, you do not have to have any packages from Dish to get the AAD distants.

That doesn't mean I don't feel bad for anyone who does not have access to locals in HD either by antenna or by Dish who lost theirs. Fact is, at this point you can still have locals if not by antenna or Dish then by AAD, but not in HD. I fully suspect for someone who is not served by Dish with HD networks, they will fill that void. The fact that it is taking time, and that there has been no announcement makes me think this was not known too far in advance by Dish that it was going to happen.

Last edited:
Simply not true. AAD is a completely separate company, buying transponder space, selling a product. Dish made it very clear - both in legal offerings to the court and in real practice that they had nothing at all to do with the distants being offered. Do you remember the challenge made to this by the networks and I think Direct TV? Dish proved in a very contentious (towards Dish) court that the service was indeed very separate from Dishnetwork.
You were qualified and had your distants turned on by AAD, not Dish. AAD has (still does) direct access to their leased transponders to turn on people's service. In fact, you do not have to have any packages from Dish to get the AAD distants.

I was qualified by Superstar Connection. When they dropped out of the business it was transferred to NPS another separate company. NPS is also AAD. When NPS dropped out of C Band it was transferred partly to AAD and partly toSR. With the collapse of Motorola involvement in 4DTV the SR Denver networks were lost. These may be returned later because Comcast operates a separate 4DTV service. Dish did not have to sell Transponder space to AAD or anyone else. Things are a bit complicated to say the least. Talking with some important individuals at AAD they say it was a bolt from the blue, totally unexpected. Apparently now it appears Dish has the same opinion.

P.S. I note that part of the quote got deleted. I don't know why, it was there when I posted it.

I would have never signed up with DISH in 2001 if they did not offer me the networks.
At that time both Dish and Direct offered NY to people in my zip code and Direct still does and now does it in HD.
I will never understand why both Dish and DirecTV were not challenged as to DNS.
During the analog days we could get an ABC station OTA.
Dish would not allow me to have NY's ABC station, because of that.
BUT, DirecTV gave my neighbor ABC from NY.
In my area, Dish played by the rules and Direct did not.

Does anyone have any information on whether HD distants will be available? We had heard that they would be coming soon, but then everything has gone silent. I know that the channels are still uplinked, but getting any information on what, if anything, is going on is pretty much impossible.

I'm with you Runner....I sincerely hope this is not like "Local on the 8s" and we'll fast forward to 2016 and still be here asking when we'll be seeing HD distant nets.

I'm with you Runner....I sincerely hope this is not like "Local on the 8s" and we'll fast forward to 2016 and still be here asking when we'll be seeing HD distant nets.

I understand 100% wanting these, but this is exactly why I keep harping on the fact everything we are talking about it rumor.
Dish not only said but had press releases about a "Locals on the 8's" or a new weather channel.

They have never said they will be providing distants in regard to the end of HD distants by AAD. There are or have been many channels uplinked that never saw the light of day. When someone writes they heard they would be providing them, now nothing, that's because it was us who said they might be. Dish has yet to speak on the issue.

Not only is hope eternal.... I do believe in some form they will have networks available at the least for RV's and truckers, and even to to fill in short markets if they don't use neighboring DMA's. What we are most hoping for is a third party to deliver them....

ivi.tv is pretty good, but they won't be around for long. They say they're ready to add Philly, Antenna TV and go HD, but they're waiting on "external events". We know what that means.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)