No NASCAR on XM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Trouthead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Rockies
I knew this was coming i.e. NASCAR switched to Sirius. It sucks. Need to have XM for baseball, and just can't justify having Sirius for NASCAR. I for one wish there was just one service provider.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02192007/business/heavenly_deal_business_peter_lauria.htm

From your lips to God's ear:
February 19, 2007 -- Satellite radio operators Sirius and XM are expected to announce their long-awaited merger today, according to a source familiar with the deal.

The two sides were locked in negotiations over the weekend trying to hammer out a final agreement with an eye toward going public with the merger today in Washington, D.C., where XM is based, this source said.

Talks were still going on at press time and the deal could fall apart at any time. With antitrust issues of paramount importance, this source said lawyers for both companies were working overtime to fine-tune the language of the agreement and frame the discussion around the deal itself and not regulatory concerns.

The transaction is expected to be structured as a merger of equals, but given Sirius' higher enterprise value, shareholders in the Mel Karmazin-led firm will likely come away with a larger percentage of a combined company.

According to the source, XM Chairman Gary Parsons will retain that title in the combined entity, with Karmazin likely taking the CEO role. It is unclear what role, if any, XM CEO Hugh Panero will play.

Combining Sirius and XM would result in a single satellite radio operator with more than 12 million total subscribers. A deal would also marry Sirius content, such as Howard Stern, Frank Sinatra and Nascar with XM's Oprah Winfrey, Bob Dylan and Major League Baseball.

More important, analysts widely predict that a deal would also save the two companies nearly $7 billion annually.

Karmazin and Parsons have been dropping hints since last summer about a possible tie-up, believing that competition from terrestrial radio, online radio and mobile music devices such as iPods have not only expanded the marketplace but also lowered the regulatory hurdles to a deal.

In a note on Friday, Bear Stearns analyst Robert Peck speculated that Sirius and XM needed to move quickly before their window of opportunity closed.

Gaining regulatory approval "could take up to 15 months; hence, we think any proposed deal needs to be announced by the end of March to close by mid-2008," Peck wrote.

On Friday, XM shares hit their lowest point since early November while Sirius shares were approaching 52-week lows. Shares in both companies did trade on heavy volume and ended the session higher, with Sirius gaining 10 cents to close at $3.70 and XM jumping a dollar to $13.98.

It would be nice if all parts of life were so easy. Complain and wish and it gets done!!! Hope this one comes off. The view that competition between the two providers would lead to lower prices and more choices is a fallacy. Signing up for two different services and buying two complete hardware setups saves me no money. Even if I have to pay a little more for the SIRIUS/XM combination I will have the works MLB, Howard, Nascar, and NFL. Now I hope they get it done and the fools in DC stay out of it.

I like to watch Nascar on the big screen but I switched to the Sirius feed on the drive home .....I just couldn't see the point.

I like to watch Nascar on the big screen but I switched to the Sirius feed on the drive home .....I just couldn't see the point.

I could. Listening to what Mark Martin said to his crew as Harvick was nosing him out was worth a year's subscription. From the SIRIUS driver/crew conversations, I knew before the TV audience did who was going to pit and what the strategies were. It was fun watching it play out on TV.

I could. Listening to what Mark Martin said to his crew as Harvick was nosing him out was worth a year's subscription. From the SIRIUS driver/crew conversations, I knew before the TV audience did who was going to pit and what the strategies were. It was fun watching it play out on TV.
I missed that. What all did Mark say. My trackpass locks up if I use the audio.

Everybody bashes NASCAR on the radio, but to me, there is nothing more exciting than those MRN guys screaming into their microphones for their 7 second spots. Sure you don't get replays and real time standings information, but man do you get good announcing!

Everybody bashes NASCAR on the radio, but to me, there is nothing more exciting than those MRN guys screaming into their microphones for their 7 second spots. Sure you don't get replays and real time standings information, but man do you get good announcing!
I know what you mean. I get pumped up when they start gettin all worked up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)