Status
Please reply by conversation.

schulmeia

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2010
Mililani, HI
Looking forward to the kick off of the 2010 NFL season. Have the NFL Sunday ticket and find out that I cannot watch the opening game between Minn and N.O. in high def. In fact cannot watch any NBC programing in high def even though I have the premium package with NFL Sunday Ticket. Apparently anyone in my area who has local channels (which I have in SD) cannot get the 392 or 393 NBC HD channels. The 392 and 393 channels are only for those who cannot get local channels. Who is the brain at D* behind this programing snafu!! Now after spending all this money and time for the best package D* has to offer, I can just imagine the crap I am about to receive from the wife when she notices that the opening game of the season we will watch this Thursday is not in high def!! Bumber!!

Sunday Ticket is only for games on Sunday afternoon. If a game is broadcast on your local channel you will have to watch it on that channel, and not on a Sunday Ticket channel. The NFL sets the rules and DirecTV has to follow them and it's not DirecTV's fault.

The issue is the local NBC is holding NBC HD hostage from Directv (they dont have an agreement)...unfortunately that knocks out the distant version too as again the local NBC has the right in your area.

I just looked it up and KHNL does broadcast in HD. Are terrain or buildings problem? Otherwise just watch in on antenna. I know it may take a second or 2 to switch to another input on the TV, but isn't that better than watching a football game in SD?

Yea, you have to invest in an antenna with a pre-amp & distribution amp for just such an occasion. It's not that expensive & it certainly covers all your bases; throw in the AM-21 & you don't even have to switch inputs. :D

To the OP. Mililani is only 6 miles from the tower. A coat hanger antenna should work great.

The issue is the local NBC is holding NBC HD hostage from Directv (they dont have an agreement)...unfortunately that knocks out the distant version too as again the local NBC has the right in your area.

I live in the Clarksburg, WV market. A market that Directv does not carry local channels, yet I receive all the New York HD distants. How is Directv allowed to give me those channels if there are local affiliates of ABC,FOX,NBC and CBS in this area but not give the OP the one they are missing?

I live in the Clarksburg, WV market. A market that Directv does not carry local channels, yet I receive all the New York HD distants. How is Directv allowed to give me those channels if there are local affiliates of ABC,FOX,NBC and CBS in this area but not give the OP the one they are missing?

The local stations all approved waivers, or you had them before the laws got stricter on distant networks and are considered grandfathered.

Getting distant networks today is difficult.

I still have West coast feeds of all 4 nets in HD for no charge, plus locals in HD... basically if you could get all 4 (I didn't need waivers for 3, got waiver from Fox in 1999) distant between the time they launched locals, and the time they added HD locals, you can keep both... I used to get both east & west HD for free, but something in the law changed which made those no longer grandfathered.

I actually dropped the SD E & W distants last year since you have to pay for those and I get the LA ones in HD free... I decided I wanted the East coast SD ones back--they told me I had to apply for waivers and probably couldn't get em back (but could keep HD) so they did anyway--and I got back East SD NBC and FOX since they approved the waivers... so I get East coast NBC & FOX SD for $2.50 each, West coast LA 4 nets in HD free, plus locals... not bad!

I've been wanting to see if they could throw me in for CW waivers since the owners of the FOX (who approved them recently even with locals offered) are the same for CW here... but don't want to mess anything up if I get a CSR who doesn't know what grandfathered means lol It'd be nice to get a DC and San Diego station though since I like whatever local news from around the US I can get.

--Nat

D*Customer service indicated that if my Zip didn't receive local channels then I could get the distant HD NBC. Rediculous. However they did submit a waiver forme but that could take several weeks. Oh well!

D* doesn't have a choice in this. They have to follow federal regulations and it's against the rules to turn on a distant network without all the players agreeing. That means the local channel and the government have to say ok, then D* can turn it on.

Do you think a small indoor antenna might work if the tower is only 6 miles away??
Of course
I was with DISH with no HD locals. The antenna farm is 22 miles away. I am using the my Vanna antenna in this pic.
finalDesign.jpg

D* doesn't have a choice in this. They have to follow federal regulations and it's against the rules to turn on a distant network without all the players agreeing. That means the local channel and the government have to say ok, then D* can turn it on.

The federal regulations are unfair. Since the STELA is now law. I think those greedy people at the NAB won the battle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts