No NBC or MNT in Austin Market...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Support Forum' started by TheTechGuru, Jul 4, 2019.

1. TheTechGuru

TheTechGuru Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro

I wish cable/sat would allow customers to "opt-out" of local channels letting customers get them via OTA if they wish.

I actually prefer to get them via OTA when possible, that way when I'm watching a tornado warning it don't cut out from the rain...

2. Ziptied

Ziptied SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

I know of one SatCo that has given you that option for quite a while.

ncted likes this.
  3. ncted

ncted SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

I wish DirecTV, Cable, Hulu Live, YTTV, and PS Vue would allow customers to opt out of local channels like Dish does.

4. slice1900

slice1900 SatelliteGuys Pro

Based on advertisements for the LCC in the Vegas market last year, Directv may well be going the same route. They were showing $10 off for customers who opt out of locals and get the LCC instead. Though even $10 is less than they spend on locals these days - it would be better IMHO if they broke out the cost of locals like my cable company does and let people drop that cost. That would also reduce the increases in 'package' pricing each year since some of that would go into the locals instead.

Never understood why Directv didn't do that years ago, as it would be really instructive for customers to see charges of $1-$2 5 years ago and $12+ today. They might blame Directv a bit less for the price increases if they knew locals were a good chunk of it.

ncted and jamesjimcie like this.
  5. Claude Greiner

Claude Greiner SatelliteGuys Master Supporting Founder

The providers should start putting up antennas for everyone.

Then only turn on the locals that don’t come in with the antenna.

If directv gets enough subscribers on an antenna the network stations have less negotiating

ncted likes this.
  6. rad

rad Supporting Founder Supporting Founder Lifetime Supporter

That works as long as you can use OTA with the STB DVR for most folks, no DVR not a good option.

7. slice1900

Except they want to get away from installer work, not create more work for them. If they broke out the cost of the locals on people's bills and they could see how much they'd save they'd have incentive to put up an antenna themselves, or pay someone to do it if they were going to be around for a while. The $15/month I pay for locals on Mediacom would be $360 if I was with Directv and had a two year commitment. That would more than pay for a high end outdoor antenna and for someone to come install it on my roof.

People who can pick up their locals with an indoor antenna are the easy cream to skim, that's who they're going to target the LCC at. If people with more difficult reception want to do it that's fine, but they aren't going to want to be responsible for that - it is quite possible to set up an antenna that works perfectly when it is installed and then stops working once the trees get leaves. Or in certain weather conditions like thermal inversions. They don't want to be responsible for that.

Compared to OTA reception, satellite reception is super simple - just aim the dish and other than rain or trees growing in the way it will work forever. OTA reception has a lot more variables.

8. Claude Greiner

Claude Greiner SatelliteGuys Master Supporting Founder

The problem is people won’t pay to put up an antenna on their own.

9. slice1900

If they were able to save a couple hundred dollars a year I'll bet some would. Though like I said I think Directv is targeting this mostly at the "easy" ones who can pick up their channels with an indoor antenna. That's probably at least half their customers. The ones who are too far away and would need a rooftop antenna, or can't pick them up at all would be too much trouble. But that doesn't matter, they could improve their leverage in negotiations if they knew only half their customers in a given market would be affected during a dispute instead of all of them like today.

10. ncted

11. Don in CT

Don in CT SatelliteGuys Pro

12. slice1900

Why would they fine AT&T? They aren't under any obligation to carry locals at any price, nor to give negotiating leverage away by allowing extensions. Because only a fool would think that Nexstar will allow extensions forever while they negotiate. No, what they really want is to allow extensions until right before football season and the new fall schedule, and then say "sorry we've given you 60 days of extensions but that's enough" and put maximum pain on the customers. AT&T was smart not to fall for that tactic.

13. ncted

Please correct me if I am wrong, as I have not studied this in depth, but I thought must carry (or is it carry one, carry all?) made the decision to remove the stations entirely the purview of the station owners. If AT&T pulls the stations without the station owners' consent or direction, wouldn't AT&T be in violation of SHVIA?

14. slice1900

Must carry only applies to stations that don't charge. If they elect to charge a fee MVPDs are not obligated to carry them.

15. texasbrit

texasbrit SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

What the press release does NOT say is anything about the "terms" of Nexstar's proposed extension. In fact "on the current contract terms" is noticeably absent from the release. Note also this is a Nexstar press release, NOT a story from a journalist.

16. ncted

Again, not a legal expert here, but, if there is no retransmission contract (i.e. it has expired), doesn't it revert to must carry on the part of the MVPD?

17. slice1900

No, stations have to elect "must carry" status, and it applies to all providers over a three year period. Even if they could change that status at a whim for a single provider, then Directv would be obligated to carry the station but the station couldn't charge Directv for it. I'm sure Directv wouldn't mind that one bit, but it seems unlikely :)

I believe there have been a few cases where a station forgot to re-elect must carry status and got dropped by Directv since they were no longer required to carry them.

ncted likes this.
  18. ncted

Thanks. In any case, AT&T is clearly claiming Nexstar pulled the channels:

https://www.multichannel.com/news/at-t-nexstar-pushes-retrans-meeting-to-saturday

“AT&T has been ready to negotiate since Nexstar removed its stations more than a week ago,”

19. TheTechGuru

TheTechGuru Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro

This one sure is going on a long time, Nexstar must be really greedy fockers. Luckally there isn't anything I watch on NBC...

Now if this were happening to my CBS I would have "moved" my service to another market right away.

20. ncted

Most of the station owners are either greedy or short on cash due to commitments to the Networks or both. There are a few exceptions of course. Either way, this is why I am intent on adding OTA, whether to my Hopper or as a separate thing.

jamesjimcie likes this.

Separate names with a comma.

More...