Nexstar Info

I just got a courtesy credit of 10.00 by clicking on the link at the bottom of the tvpromise.com site. Click where it says check your account status by signing into your account. As of now it just says courtesy credit charge 0.00 on my bill, we will see if the 10 bucks shows up.
Update the credit just showed up on my bill. It says 1 month dispute credit.

"There are no additional updates for your account at this time. Please check back at tvpromise.com for further updates." I'm not getting that...

This timing really sucks. Of the three 4th of July shows starting at 7PM, two of the three are on Nexstar channels NBC (Macy's 4th) and MNT (Freedom over Texas)...the only one I can watch is Capitol 4th on PBS...

"There are no additional updates for your account at this time. Please check back at tvpromise.com for further updates." I'm not getting that...
that page has changed since this morning when I got my credit. It just said in my browser tvpromise.com. Now it says tvpromise.att.com. I guess the evil bean counters at the Deathstar found out about it. It also says now that I lost my CBS station. I actually lost my NBC station which the page this morning correctly said.

For folks with HR54 or HR44 you should call in for a Local Channel Connector, even if you cannot use it. Someone had one listed on EBay for $99 and sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Found a way to stream any market on my PC via LoCast... (hint, use firefox and force a custom location)

Last edited:
WIVB 4 CBS Buffalo off. Running the same crawl urging DirecTV subs to call to get their channel back. Without OTA how might the subscriber see this message? Silly.

Are you sure about that?

Yes, that is how retransmission consent works:

Retransmission consent - Wikipedia

"Under the provision, a broadcast station (or its affiliated/parent broadcast network) can ask for monetary payment or other compensation, such as carriage of an additional channel. If the cable operator rejects the broadcaster's proposal, the station can prohibit the cable operator from retransmitting its signal."

Boston Pops Fireworks is on Bloomberg 353

I saw twice. In person of course on both the 3rd and 4th! Boston couldn’t have been lovelier. Those Navy singers were great and the fly over gave me goosebumps!

IMG_4512.JPG
IMG_4504.JPG
IMG_4503.JPG
IMG_4501.JPG

Boston Pops Fireworks is on Bloomberg 353

And locally on WHDH 7 (I am only two days late!)

The Burlington, VT market lost one of our Nexstar stations - WFFF Fox. They also own WVNY ABC, but is operated by another company due to ownership rules so we still have them. In southern VT, you still have Fox via Boston or Albany too.

Yes, that is how retransmission consent works:

Retransmission consent - Wikipedia

"Under the provision, a broadcast station (or its affiliated/parent broadcast network) can ask for monetary payment or other compensation, such as carriage of an additional channel. If the cable operator rejects the broadcaster's proposal, the station can prohibit the cable operator from retransmitting its signal."
Channels I can get over the air for free should not be allowed to charge for a signal.

Channels I can get over the air for free should not be allowed to charge for a signal.

Charging someone for extending your free signal to even more viewers has never made sense to me at all...

I wonder, would it come out cheaper for the cable/sat co's if OTA channels had to be left on unencrypted and free all the time even when there is no active pay service in exchange for there not being a charge from the OTA broadcasters?

Meaning you could plug a TV into the cable line and get the OTA channels without signing up. Or buy a DirecTV/Dish unit from Goodwill, hook it up yourself and get the OTA channels free without signing up.

Charging someone for extending your free signal to even more viewers has never made sense to me at all...

I wonder, would it come out cheaper for the cable/sat co's if OTA channels had to be left on unencrypted and free all the time even when there is no active pay service in exchange for there not being a charge from the OTA broadcasters?

Meaning you could plug a TV into the cable line and get the OTA channels without signing up. Or buy a DirecTV/Dish unit from Goodwill, hook it up yourself and get the OTA channels free without signing up.

The local affiliates charge a lot of money for them because the networks charge the local affiliates a lot of money. If they "give it away" to people who aren't paying they'll owe a lot more money without collecting any and be worse off.

Basically the networks rely on the fact that most people pay for TV via cable/satellite rather than pick up locals OTA. If they didn't, all the sports they carry would disappear. No more NFL, college football, NBA, MLB, NHL, NASCAR, PGA, etc. that would all go to ESPN/FS1/RSNs. Probably wouldn't affect the network programming, since they put on so much low budget reality crap the ad revenue probably pays for it.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
The local affiliates charge a lot of money for them because the networks charge the local affiliates a lot of money. If they "give it away" to people who aren't paying they'll owe a lot more money without collecting any and be worse off.

Basically the networks rely on the fact that most people pay for TV via cable/satellite rather than pick up locals OTA. If they didn't, all the sports they carry would disappear. No more NFL, college football, NBA, MLB, NHL, NASCAR, PGA, etc. that would all go to ESPN/FS1/RSNs. Probably wouldn't affect the network programming, since they put on so much low budget reality crap the ad revenue probably pays for it.

So, what you're saying is, if we, the paying public, didn't pay for local channels on cable/satellite, the stations wouldn't have the money to pay the networks, who spend all their money on huge sports contracts, which enriches team owners and [some] players....

If there is a more compelling argument for going OTA, I cannot imagine what it is.

Reactions: jamesjimcie

So why bother have broadcast networks anymore if they just want to become a paid service?

Reactions: TheTechGuru

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)