No New HD This Week

give them a 211 (cost as much as a 311 or 301) and let them hook it up to a sd port

on Eastern Arc the 211 is the base receiver even if you have SD only. :)
So EA folks are already set

But WA folks may take a while. Heck I think of my family members who have Dish and they all have 301/311's :)

Heres an idea/// Ok alot of customers out there still have sd tvs and sd receivers.Heres what Dish should do.Get all customers hd boxes, since hd boxes do MPEG 4.Ok the customer could still get the programning it would just not be in hd until that customer buys an hdtv.This would free up some space because you would not be using Mpeg 2 .I realize on the eastern arc this wouldnt apply though, since it is already mpeg 4 on its sd channels and hd channels.This would help along the transition of getting everything mpeg4 and freeing up space.

Heres an idea/// Ok alot of customers out there still have sd tvs and sd receivers.Heres what Dish should do.Get all customers hd boxes, since hd boxes do MPEG 4.Ok the customer could still get the programning it would just not be in hd until that customer buys an hdtv.This would free up some space because you would not be using Mpeg 2 .I realize on the eastern arc this wouldnt apply though, since it is already mpeg 4 on its sd channels and hd channels.This would help along the transition of getting everything mpeg4 and freeing up space.

Great idea, but that would cost Dish LOTS of money, and charlie is way to cheap to do that.

Josh

Yea thats true. I was just thinking about all the local channels that Dish offers in sd in mpeg 2.Wow that could be alot of space cleared up.

Dish is doing exactly this, only taking their time with it.

Step 1 is getting rid of all older boxes that only do QPSK modulation, rather than 8PSK modulation.

Then they will start doing premiums and higher tiered channels, so that they get quick gains with a minimum of investment. It will be a long time before we see AT120/Family channels only in MPEG4.

Yeah, but there's a big difference (at least to me) when Scott says it, than when some random chuckle head says it.

I would be willing to bet it won't be that long. If I were to put $$ on it this will be done in less than 2 yrs. Closer to a 1 1/2 yrs. Space on sats in much more costly than the price of 211's. :D
Except it is a lot of 622s and 722s to replace 522s and 625s. Not to mention the cost of the service call.

Also, it makes sense for Dish to be incremental. Convert to 8PSK, you can ad a bit more HD. Convert premiums, some more HD space. Convert AT250 channels, and you get more space. Certainly enough to tide most people over. All the meanwhile, customers with 311s, 322s, 522s, and 625s will volunteer to pay money to upgrade to 211s, 222s, and 722s, rather than doing it for free.

I see by the end of the year, non 8PSK receivers like the 301 and 501/508/510 will be gone (the latter are mostly gone already due to Tivo). Probably in the following year, higher tier programming will go MPEG4. But I see 3 years before all programing is MPEG4. Just too many million 311/322/522/625s out there.

Anyway, to the larger point, I wonder if some of this delay isn't due to DirecTV's upcoming launches. No doubt, they want to steal their limelight when they launch a ton of new channels, but D12 is still a week away.

BTW, the HD channels in question were QVC, DIY and Investigation Discovery.

Don't forget Outdoor and RFD TV. Add in the 3 channels that reportedly went up to test this week and it's another nice little wave of additions.

What I can't figure out is whether these were set to release at all or if they were, but the transponder issue pushed them back.

I just checked and all the channels are up and running still....

Remember folks next week is DISH Networks Team Summit event in Texas. ;)

Cool, maybe you'll be able to throw us a bone. I swear after they launch this set of channels, you won't hear any more from me, I'll be set!....I promise!.....really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts