Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
Sioux Gone

I read a tweet last night from a wheel at MidCo stating that there will be NO FTA satellite feed for North Dakota Hockey for the 2012-13 season. This MidCo contract is for 5 years. Hopfully this will change in the future, but I doubt it :( :mad: :rant:.

I fired off an email to Lunski, Jamie - Media Controller - jamiel[at]theralph.com
(email publicly available on the contacts page of theralph.com)
"I've seen a tweet by MidcoSportsNet that there will be NO satellite feed for Sioux sports in the 2012-13 season.
Please, Tell me this isn't true."

since Midco is doing all the production now and not WDAZ its probably true ;)

Midco might make it available to other cable companies but that just screams scrambling

Last edited:
Might see a few where the opposition is hosting and televising. Hate to lose the hockey games, even though I didn't watch them much last year. They had become a fixture . FTA Lesson#1 : Take no channel for granted!!!

It is now offical, North Dakota sporting events will be produced by MidCo for FOX College sports network with NO FTA satellite feeds.

This is from Jayson Hajdu, UND fourm:

Happy Friday, everyone. Please bear with me on this lengthy post. Hopefully it will address the various questions regarding broadcast viewing.

Please note that the football game against Montana will be broadcast by Root Sports, not MidcoSN.

MidcoSN does not yet have a deal in place with DirecTV.

All home and conference road games for football, volleyball and men’s and women’s basketball can be viewed for free on Big Sky TV at BigSkyConf.com. Men’s and women’s hockey can be viewed live or on-demand on UND Insider at UNDSports.com. UND Insider is also your ticket to live video and audio streams of exclusive events such as women’s soccer, baseball and softball not available anywhere else.

At this point, Fox College Sports is only picking up men’s hockey. All home men’s hockey games will be broadcast on Fox College Sports for 2012-13 only. Once UND joins the National Collegiate Hockey Conference in 2013-14, CBS Sports Network holds national broadcast rights to all NCHC games. Thus, UND cannot broadcast nationally on another network, even if CBS Sports Network is not showing that particular game.

Midco will not be making programming available via FTA, as is their right. I believe Midco addressed this via Twitter earlier this week.

Is this ideal for UND as an individual institution? Of course not. In college athletics, there is a cost to doing business. Sometimes concessions have to be made for the best interests of the league(s). Now, this doesn’t preclude us from attempting to regain that national footprint in the future. We are well aware of how many loyal fans we have nationwide and we will make every effort to make sure we reach as many as possible, in as many ways as possible.

In the meantime, fans outside of the MidcoSN viewing area will still have the opportunity to view home men’s hockey games via UNDInsider webcasts. We like to think we already offer high-quality webcasts – we pull the feed directly from the television broadcast – but we are still making significant upgrades for the upcoming season.

Specifically, we are upgrading in terms of quality (to near-HD), video player (better streaming for your connection speed) and accessibility (iPad, etc.). Once MidcoSN makes the conversion to HD in 2014-15, our webcasts will also be available in full HD.

With the upgrade to near-HD – and eventually full HD – you’ll still be able to enjoy UND men’s hockey games on your television screen by connecting your computer. It will essentially be the same quality you previously enjoyed, albeit with an extra step involved.

Our goal is to provide our programming to as many fans possible through as many platforms as possible. We’ve come an awful long ways since the days of one or two games per year being broadcast on local network television. In 2012-13, every home game will be available to watch on television, webcasts and mobile devices.

The recent exposure we’ve had with the Fox College Sports deal is quite an anomaly in today’s world of college athletics. An increasing number of conferences are now dictating the terms of national television rights. As I mentioned earlier, that is a cost of doing business when seeking affiliation with elite-level conferences. But, as I also mentioned, we’ll continue to attempt to regain at least some of that national footprint going forward. When that will happen, I don’t yet know, but these things are fluid. The situation as it stands today could be quite different down the road.

But in the meantime, I urge you to utilize our other platforms for viewing our events. The world of technology is ever-evolving, and we’re doing our best to keep up while still trying to balance the needs of those who view through traditional platforms like television. That’s the positive in a technology-driven world – you are no longer restricted to viewing solely through your television. I’ve mentioned this before in Twitter discussions on the same topic: in 2012, if there is a game you want to watch, chances are you’ll be able to find it. You just may have to do so through non-traditional means.

Hopefully this answered your many questions. If I missed anything, please feel free to ask.

I don't know if this is coincidence, but I said a couple of years ago when FOX got their greedy little paws in the pie and FSSN was going to be broadcast on FOX College Sports that it would be the begining of the end for FSSN as we know it. Well low and behold look what has happened. You know FOX's motto, "don't give anybody anything for free." This is my opinion only, but I am willing to bet if the Sioux games were being porduced for MidCo only there would be FTA. Any time FOX get in on something you can kiss it good bye.

Last edited:
Sounds like charlie won't be getting that one, lol. Everybody wants to be paid for something these days, it seems.

I don't know if this is coincidence, but I said a couple of years ago when FOX got their greedy little paws in the pie and FSSN was going to be broadcast on FOX College Sports that it would be the begining of the end for FSSN as we know it. Well low and behold look what has happened. You know FOX's motto, "don't give anybody anything for free." This is my opinion only, but I am willing to bet if the Sioux games were being porduced for MidCo only there would be FTA. Any time FOX get in on something you can kiss it good bye.

it has NOTHING to do with it...I think you are confused Jim
Midco is the one producing the games...no longer is WDAZ doing it. Midco got the contract. Midco now has all 4 D-1 teams on cable (NoDak, NDSU, SDSU, South Dakota) on cable since Midco is the dominant cable company in ND/SD

Midco is the one who decided to withhold the games from everyone else (other cable companies as example). NOT FOX. FCS just grabbed whatever team they could. They have shown plenty of other teams and all those games were on FTA.

This is a Midco decision and no one elses

But my theory is this...oh well life goes on. There will still be plenty of other games to watch

Last edited:
Tried to watch the UND/SD School of Mines football via the Big Sky Network feed. The jitter or flicker of the internet feed in combination with the medication for my disability makes me ill. Only a few minutes and I have to turn the damn thing off. FTA was a perfect picture and I didn't have to try to go out of my home. Watching it never made me ill. My boys had purchased me the UND Premium package two years ago, it always made me sick! I'm more restricted now then ever. The concept of how the Comcast FTA feed helped the disabled and older fans wasn't even thought of by those in charge. They tossed us aside in the name of money.
Being on a fixed income, I will not be watching UND until FTA returns. Of course, I will be dead before that happens.

Midco had a KU uplink of the UND/SD game last Thursday, don't want to post the cords due to rules, but if you need them I can PM them to you, maybe they will be there next time.

I actually believe the fact FOX is picking up the ND Hockey games is actually going to be a blessing, they need to get the game from North Dakota to Texas (Where FSN/FCS is) some how, I would be shocked if it was not on satellite, I highly doubt it will be encrypted either.

It is possible Midco does not want to advertise that the games are up there, that is how most networks actually do feel, ND being so open about it is rare when it comes to these media companies these days.

On another note: There may not be any NHL hockey this season, or at least a regular start to the season. News article I saw on yahoo news reporting possible lockout due to the league's big losses over the past several seasons. The owners want players to take immediate pay cuts, players just want to concede to smaller 'raises' in the future.

I'm going to miss these broadcasts. :( Hate paying for FCS or web feeds when I have the FTA dish all setup from the past few years.

They're still on FTA.....because there are cable companies outside of Midco that carry the games

I watched the VB game last night here in Minneapolis on FTA. Seen the FB games too...even a SD Coyotes game this past Saturday

PM me if you want more info

Attachments

• S30A0117.jpg
    S30A0117.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 192
  • S30A0118.jpg
    S30A0118.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Don't everybody start throwing out your dishes, there will be some games to watch, I'm sure of it. Hang in there!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)