No OTA because of FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My Kenwood transmitter caused interference a few times back in NC. o_O Funny how it did that when we were gone on vacation,or I wasn't on-air.Even once when I hadn't been on-air in months.I started telling the neighbors to phone me or come by the house whenever it happened and we'd do some testing.
One persistent complainer had to visit the house and view the coaxes unhooked to finally believe it wasn't me.Imagine her shock when we found the RF was coming from HER son-in-law 2 houses away. :nana

Sometimes you have to stick their nose into it before they know where the smell comes from.lol

I think I have a plan. This neighbor has been pilfering my wi-fi access for 6 months. Mostly his kid playing with an old xbox 360. He got the password from his aunt who I let use it on her cellphone three years ago when she was up her for her father's funeral. She was here again for mom's funeral 6 months ago.
So I'll ask him if he thinks maybe changing the password on my wi-fi access point or turning it off will improve his TV reception? ;)

You should set up a new wireless network with the old password and change the password on your current one. Install this software that flips or blurs all of the images on any web pages he loads.
http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html

Then let the hilarity ensue.

Have you tried turning off the satellite tracker beam. It may be crowding out the signals from OTA channels---especially ones that end in 6.

Reactions: KE4EST
My cranky neighbor downstairs claimed my dish was interfering with the lower number cable channels on her TV that she has to PAY for. I promptly ignored her note on my door.

Also hope that he doesn't have ignorant friends in high places. Recently I read a complaint from someone who had had a policeman show up at his door because his neighbor claimed that since she was allergic to microwaves, his smart electric meter violated her rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act. (Even if we were to assume that microwave allergies are anything other than schizophrenia, the ADA doesn't apply to private individuals or private conduct, and enforcing it in any case is NOT the job of the police!)

Funny stuff! I probably would have one in a little different direction for my response. I would have told the neighbor that I was 'in the know' too. Then offered to help them resolve the real problem they were having. A lot of people are 'cutting the cord' these days. A lot of them just don't have a clue how to do it right. After I got them their OTA signals I'd then take the opportunity to properly introduce them to FTA. Then I'd sit back and watch the dishes sprout up in THEIR yard.;)

Back in 1983 when I got my Ham License, I put up a 40' tower at my Parents House (a Mobile Home). Within hours the Manager
came over and said that he'd received numerous complaints of interference from my Station. I told him, "That's impossible"! Take
a look at the tower, there are no antennas on it yet! :coco

Funny stuff! I probably would have one in a little different direction for my response. I would have told the neighbor that I was 'in the know' too. Then offered to help them resolve the real problem they were having. A lot of people are 'cutting the cord' these days. A lot of them just don't have a clue how to do it right. After I got them their OTA signals I'd then take the opportunity to properly introduce them to FTA. Then I'd sit back and watch the dishes sprout up in THEIR yard.;)
I have done just that before. But when you think about it, not a good idea. I just came from a persons house I set up with an FTA system. The complaint :" It doesn't work" Couldn't tell me any more than that. They will never learn how to use it. I tried to talk them out of it. I told them they will never be happy with it. But No! they got to have that one channel. I found there to be more slop in the actuator and just had to bump it few clicks to get signal. But they won't learn to do that stuff. I got another guy into it and he can't learn to use the stuff either. Not what I was thinking when I wanted to share my FTA hobby.

Hey Magic the simplest solution would be to just help the technologically challenged neighbour with his OTA setup. This would make the neighbour happy and it would break the ice between you two. Who knows maybe this would lead to lasting friendship. The neighbour would come over daily for more technical advice. Sounds like fun?

Reactions: hank123
Hey Magic the simplest solution would be to just help the technologically challenged neighbour with his OTA setup. This would make the neighbour happy and it would break the ice between you two. Who knows maybe this would lead to lasting friendship. The neighbour would come over daily for more technical advice. Sounds like fun?
Good idea. A roof antenna could go a long way towards neighborly peace.

Alternatively, tell the neighbor its 'receive only' and does not emit radio frequency signals. If they don't believe that then disconnect the cable to the dish and ask them to see if they can get those OTA stations they want.
.....Then again, logic may not apply with this neighbor. :facepalm

The neighbor will be gone shortly. The bank owns the property in a reverse mortgage deal. His grandparents who lived there died recently, he moved in and he and I are waiting for the bank to evict him and bulldoze the place. The house isn't worth the bare property. I had a great relationship with the grandparents, very good neighbors for the last 18 years.I could be more neighborly but he needs to get out!! I don't want to delay him ;)

I have done just that before. But when you think about it, not a good idea. I just came from a persons house I set up with an FTA system. The complaint :" It doesn't work" Couldn't tell me any more than that. They will never learn how to use it. I tried to talk them out of it. I told them they will never be happy with it. But No! they got to have that one channel. I found there to be more slop in the actuator and just had to bump it few clicks to get signal. But they won't learn to do that stuff. I got another guy into it and he can't learn to use the stuff either. Not what I was thinking when I wanted to share my FTA hobby.

I know what you mean. For us its a hobby. Others just want it to work. Which is why I typically recommend a fixed dish to start. I've helped quite a few people with Glorystar channels on 97w. PBS junkies can have a lot of fun on 125w. Newshounds 91w. Etc. Introducing a motor into the system requires interest in learning the basics of the Clark belt.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts