No OTA guide info without local subscription

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This is such crap that i'm quoting my post from the other site!!

Amazing.

Unbelieveable.

Stupid.

Deceitful.

And many more I can think of. Why is it that it's ok for the 811 to get the local EPG without a subscription, but buyers of a higher-end receiver get screwed? :no Absolutely a stunningly stupid move, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT WAS STATED THAT YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO BE A SUBSCRIBER TO GET THE EPG INFO!

We all know that they can do it, because the 811 owners can get it without a subscription!

Gaaaaah! @#$#$%@#$%%$ing idiots!

I guess this is their way of trying to get more money out of the subscribers. Why oh why on God's green earth would I want to subscribe and pay $5.99/mo for 15 channels, when I can get TWENTY THREE DIGITAL CHANNELS FOR FREE! There is no way I'm going to subscribe to locals when I can already get them perfectly. Pretty much all this is going to do is piss people off.

I wish I could put about 4,000 thumbs down on this post because that's what it deserves!

absolutely befuddled,
Michael

Does this REALLY surprise anyone? This is Dish Network we are talking about.

Let the emails to CEO@ECHOSTAR.COM flow.

There is no reason why you should have to pay for channels which you get for free off the antenna.

The 921 is the most ridiculous bargaining chip they have. Now I gotta hold firm and not get one of these things. Because you may think you're getting a bargain paying $489 and up. But they get you by throwing all these other charges in your face it's ridiculous.

$4.99 mirroring fee
$4.98 video on demand (of course the worst scam of all)
and now $5.99/$5.00 for local guide data

geez I really feel bad for the folks that paid $1000 dollars for these. They should never have to pay any of those fees for the money they've put down.

My 921's have worked just fine without "guide data". I guess that they will continue to do so.

My 921 will be on Ebay as soon as the HD-Tivo becomes a little more reasonable.

n0qcu said:
My 921's have worked just fine without "guide data". I guess that they will continue to do so.

Here is my letter:

I have just been told that I have to keep my Birmingham, AL local package to have guide data on my 921 (which I paid $1000 for 2 months before you cut the price to $549). Even though you do not have to have locals for data on the 811.

Wow what a way to stick it to your "high-end customers".

1st a DVR "fee"
Now a locals "fee"

From someone who gives you around $120 per month, you have just given me a reason to look at other alternatives.

Stupid, short-sighted move on your part.

Why not earn goodwill by saying the guide data will be included as part of the DVR fee?

Thanks for listening,

my letter:

I am writing to express my displeasure with Dish’s decision to require me to subscribe to your Local Channel Package in order to receive the OTA program information on my 921. I am/was getting this same information in my 811’s guide. Just what am I paying the $5 DVR fee for if I can’t get this data without paying an additional amount? It is free (included) on the 811!!!

I have been with Dish since 1997-98, and this is the first issue that really had me mad and wondering “What the hell is Dish thinking?” I have put up with owning some equipment (6000, 811 and now 921) that hasn’t had the best track record in terms of ‘ease of use’. I figure some oversight in design can be forgiven, even after taking a year to get the software working somewhere near the required reliability that is should have had at launch.

But this is riding the edge of being too much.

Thank you,

Despite my handle, I've been pretty patient waiting for improvements in the 921 software. But this pushed me over the edge. Sent my first email of complaint to Charlie today, and urge others to do the same.

Wow...this is bad news. I live in a "remote" area near Austin, and subscribe to the Dallas locals but had planned on pulling in the OTA Digital Austin stations with my new 921. Guess I still can, but i won't have EPG data...which sux.

I guess Dish does not want customers who intend to upgrade their current PVRs to a new 921 to cancel their subscriptions to locals.

I had the 811 and added the 721 later. I had to add my locals to be able to fully use the new PVR. They do not want me to cancel my locals when I replace my 721 with 921.

I was about to make a trip to get the 921. Now I'm not sure.

-Mar
k

They should just add the locals free for everyone who has a hd 921 dvr. This would be like the no dvr fee if you sub to AEP. In fact that is the way they could sell it. IF you sub to AEP then No dvr fee and NO fee on the locals. This would certainly help sell subs on the value of subbing to AEP. A big advantage over Directv too. They could still turn this around if they worked at it. It is all a matter of changing the way they bill it.

But I think the best way to deal with the ota guide information is to go back to using the psip data that comes with the ota channels and treat the 921 the same as the 811. This would be a fair and consistent way to approach the hd subscribers , instead of penalizing the hd dvr users over the 811 users.

Come on Dish , the ball is in your court. Do the right thing for once! :rolleyes:

I don't think they should provide a guide for something not bought from them. For the Digital OTA's though, I think they should pass and show the PSIP information that the FCC is requiring every digital station to use shortly.

Barry Erick said:
I don't think they should provide a guide for something not bought from them. For the Digital OTA's though, I think they should pass and show the PSIP information that the FCC is requiring every digital station to use shortly.
Once the stations have a 9-day PSIP guide, I'll agree with you.

Of course, that's not gonna happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)