No Pac 12 for DIRECTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Seeking Alpha is reporting that the leader in Sports (DIRECTV) will not be carrying the PAC 12 network this season. It is being reported that Pac 12 is now telling fans to "drop DirecTV and switch to one of the providers that carry it."

That stinks for Pac-12 fans but on the other hand, if they keep asking for unreasonable terms, then I'd understand why Directv is not interested in carrying it.

That stinks for Pac-12 fans but on the other hand, if they keep asking for unreasonable terms, then I'd understand why Directv is not interested in carrying it.
This assumes that somehow DIRECTV isn't getting "most favored nation status" and that seems unlikely. I suspect it has more to do with DIRECTV having reached the point beyond which they're going to have to split off some sports programming that's currently free or they're going to have to apply their much maligned RSN fee to even more customers. The PAC12 covers a relatively large geographic area.

For my West Coast friends with DIRECTV, I hope the news isn't true. It was a tough cross to bear towards the end of hoops season and football is arguably a bigger deal for many.

Broadcast rights-wise, this could be a real problem since the top PAC12 team is ranked in the mid 30's so national coverage may be diminished.

The Pac 12 has been on D* for many years now in the Sports Package ... any given Saturday you could watch a half dozen games.

Now suddenly they won't be in the Sports package ?
What will the RSN do to fill all that air time all day Saturdays every week in the fall ?

The Pac 12 has been on D* for many years now in the Sports Package ... any given Saturday you could watch a half dozen games.

What will the RSN do to fill all that air time all day Saturdays every week in the fall ?

infomercials, pick up the rsn national feed of something, or show repeats of some other sports programming they have.

This is the problem with the individual team and conference nets now. Its not just the Pac 12 Net itself, but the 6 regional Pac 12 nets too. There is not enough space and profit to carry every rsn, conference and individual team net and make a profit while pleasing all their customers. If these channels want to go Ala Carte I'm sure a deal can be made, but asking for carriage in the basic packages isn't going to work anymore.

The sports channel market is now oversaturated and over priced for anyone other than the die hard fans. The programming for these channels is more diluted than the programming for regular entertainment channels.

Directv is no longer the Sports Leader. They might still have the most sports, but there is clearly no definite leader.

Looking at the local Time Warner Cable listings, they have added significant sports since I left. There was the highly publicized NFL Network additions... but, they have many more sports channels in HD that we do, including Fox Deportes, ESPN Deportes, other Spanish channels, GolTV, and some the animal killing channels. Of course, they have Pac 12 Network. They recently added out of market RSNs in HD (NESN, YES, TWCSN, TWCD) and Fox Soccer Plus is in the Sports Pack. Universal Sports HD is supposedly coming, too.

They are still lacking in these areas:
TWC does not offer the local RSNs (SportSouth and Fox Sports South) properly. It's annoying that the part time channels are patched over the full time channels.
TWC does not carry MASN or FSN-Cin here, which are local RSNs.
TWC does not have ANY OTA integration (there are sports on subchannels here, notably preempted CBS and Fox NCAA football and Durham Bulls baseball).
No Sunday Ticket!

There are a few other minor channels that D* has and a few that TWC has, too, and vice versa but would only matter to the extreme fans of that sport. Their equipment is primitive and just plain is not user friendly. The additions of all of the new stuff has jacked up prices, too, which were already higher than D*. However, when looking at it from a strictly CONTENT perspective...

The following sentence might be the most painful statement I make related to TV in my life.

At the current rate, Time Warner Cable could pass Directv and become the sports leader if they were able to change some of the things above. How sickening is that.

The PAC12 Network has been around just shy of one year and has not been, nor will it be any time soon (if you believe the recent news), part of any DIRECTV package (sports or otherwise).

Whether or not the individual PAC12 teams get significant national coverage this year is dependent on how well they do as the polls currently don't place them very highly.

Directv is no longer the Sports Leader. They might still have the most sports, but there is clearly no definite leader.

Looking at the local Time Warner Cable listings, they have added significant sports since I left. There was the highly publicized NFL Network additions... but, they have many more sports channels in HD that we do, including Fox Deportes, ESPN Deportes, other Spanish channels, GolTV, and some the animal killing channels. Of course, they have Pac 12 Network. They recently added out of market RSNs in HD (NESN, YES, TWCSN, TWCD) and Fox Soccer Plus is in the Sports Pack. Universal Sports HD is supposedly coming, too.

They are still lacking in these areas:
TWC does not offer the local RSNs (SportSouth and Fox Sports South) properly. It's annoying that the part time channels are patched over the full time channels.
TWC does not carry MASN or FSN-Cin here, which are local RSNs.
TWC does not have ANY OTA integration (there are sports on subchannels here, notably preempted CBS and Fox NCAA football and Durham Bulls baseball).
No Sunday Ticket!

There are a few other minor channels that D* has and a few that TWC has, too, and vice versa but would only matter to the extreme fans of that sport. Their equipment is primitive and just plain is not user friendly. The additions of all of the new stuff has jacked up prices, too, which were already higher than D*. However, when looking at it from a strictly CONTENT perspective...

The following sentence might be the most painful statement I make related to TV in my life.

At the current rate, Time Warner Cable could pass Directv and become the sports leader if they were able to change some of the things above. How sickening is that.

Most DTV users dont really care about having Fox Deportes, ESPN Deportes, and other Spanish channels.

They do care about having NFLST and MLBEI oh and Regional Fox Sports channels in HD 24/7 unlike the other satellite provider that has part time HD.

No Pac12.. no sweat !!!
Especially when we have what others dont and wish they did.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I would assume the same thing they did last year, show games from other conferences.

The PAC12 Network has been around just shy of one year and has not been, nor will it be any time soon (if you believe the recent news), part of any DIRECTV package (sports or otherwise).

Whether or not the individual PAC12 teams get significant national coverage this year is dependent on how well they do as the polls currently don't place them very highly.

You missed my point ...

If I was a Pac 12 fan, I'd be pissed ...
Use to get PAC 12 football thru D* in the 600's weekly, now they can't.

The Pac 12/10/8 have been on the Sports pac since way back.

Most DTV users dont really care about having Fox Deportes, ESPN Deportes, and other Spanish channels.

They do care about having NFLST and MLBEI oh and Regional Fox Sports channels in HD 24/7 unlike the other satellite provider that has part time HD.

No Pac12.. no sweat !!!
Especially when we have what others dont and wish they did.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I agree here, Fwiw, if the Pac 12 teams are in the Top 10 or there about, your not gonna see them on the Pac 12 channels anyways, IF they are that high (Like Oregon) they will be on the National channels.

IF it works anything like the Big 10/12 network is, the Big Boys will play on the channel 2-3 times a year, usually the fluff games to fulfill thier commitment and then be on the larger networks.

If I lived in Philly and was a die-heard Phillies fan, Comcast would be the sports leader. I wouldn't even put Directv in the discussion. Same with Portland, Houston, etc. And the same goes for Pac12 fans. I understand what you all are saying about NFL ST, etc, but if the rumors are true, that won't be exclusive much longer. Sunday Ticket is all that is keeping me with Directv. The Genie has been the biggest disappointment due to its slowness and constant need to reboot. With OTA scanning gone, it's just a broken HR24 to me. I can't watch many Saturday Red Sox games cuz my local Fox channels show garbage, but they're only in SD on Fox Deportes. Fox holds all of these games hostage on Saturdays, MLB EI is useless on Saturdays if your team is on Fox and you're not a Braves fan. That's not Directv's fault, I know, but it's still a flaw.

Where is Directv's competitive edge that they had for years and lured me to them? It's just irritating that there isn't 1 provider that carries all the sports channels like Directv used to be/claims to be. If there was, they would be the sports leader. You can have the most and not be a leader.

This discussion asserts my belief that the right provider for you is the one that has the most channels that you want to watch. No one is likely to have all of them, so pick the one with the most you want. Although this is about sports, it holds true for all of the channels.

I wonder if that anything to do with the SEC network and the newish contract with ESPN that I vaguely remember reading about coming soon. Maybe they needed space and went with the hot market or perhaps where they have more subs?

Sorry to those fans that lost their channels. I know I'd be pissed if it were me.

The other side of the coin is that the old RSNs are devalued. DIRECTV can't very well drop Root, but it is arguably a lot less interesting now that PAC12 Network is around.

If I lived in Philly and was a die-heard Phillies fan, Comcast would be the sports leader. I wouldn't even put Directv in the discussion. Same with Portland, Houston, etc. And the same goes for Pac12 fans. I understand what you all are saying about NFL ST, etc, but if the rumors are true, that won't be exclusive much longer. Sunday Ticket is all that is keeping me with Directv. The Genie has been the biggest disappointment due to its slowness and constant need to reboot. With OTA scanning gone, it's just a broken HR24 to me. I can't watch many Saturday Red Sox games cuz my local Fox channels show garbage, but they're only in SD on Fox Deportes. Fox holds all of these games hostage on Saturdays, MLB EI is useless on Saturdays if your team is on Fox and you're not a Braves fan. That's not Directv's fault, I know, but it's still a flaw.

Where is Directv's competitive edge that they had for years and lured me to them? It's just irritating that there isn't 1 provider that carries all the sports channels like Directv used to be/claims to be. If there was, they would be the sports leader. You can have the most and not be a leader.

I'll believe it when I see it...

They have been saying the same thing before each time the contract has come up and it continues to stay with D*.

I'll believe it when I see it...

They have been saying the same thing before each time the contract has come up and it continues to stay with D*.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/06/directv-could-pull-plug-on-nfl-sunday-ticket/

One thing is certain,the price for ST will increase.If dtv is balking at Pac12 net,and adding rsn surcharges,the chances that they go non exclusive for ST,are pretty high.Unless dtv wants to possibly double the current $4 billion they are paying,ST will be offered to all major providers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts