No Pac 12 for DIRECTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/06/directv-could-pull-plug-on-nfl-sunday-ticket/

One thing is certain,the price for ST will increase.If dtv is balking at Pac12 net,and adding rsn surcharges,the chances that they go non exclusive for ST,are pretty high.Unless dtv wants to possibly double the current $4 billion they are paying,ST will be offered to all major providers.

Anything could happen ...
Your article was speculating ... as is everyone else.
No one will know for sure till that time gets here.

Another thing to think about, IF D* does relinquish the Exclusivity of the ST, that doesn't mean every other provider will have it.
Many will balk at the price tag associated with it.
Yes the LARGER one probably will, Comcast, TWC probably a few others ... my local cable company Buckeye Cablesystem may or may not.

Another thing, if for example TW does get it, does that mean EVERY TW location will have it available to them, or will that be decided by TC as to which cities get and which don't.
TW is not the same in every city ... this goes for all providers not just TW.

Off hand, when is the ST package due to expire with D* ?

From the article (DirecTV CFO Pat Doyle said at a Wednesday investors conference that, if the price goes up too high when the current NFL Sunday Ticket deal expires after the 2014 season, DirecTV would consider “striking a non-exclusive deal with the NFL) also this part isn't speculation ( The fact that there’s no new deal only two seasons away from expiration of the current contract isn’t a good sign, given that the NFL usually extends these things years in advance) That to me is pretty telling.

From the article (DirecTV CFO Pat Doyle said at a Wednesday investors conference that, if the price goes up too high when the current NFL Sunday Ticket deal expires after the 2014 season, DirecTV would consider “striking a non-exclusive deal with the NFL) also this part isn't speculation ( The fact that there’s no new deal only two seasons away from expiration of the current contract isn’t a good sign, given that the NFL usually extends these things years in advance) That to me is pretty telling.

So your saying that they would have had an agreement done already two years ahead of time ?

If both sides agreed with everything, then yes, maybe.
If theres debates, NO, I can see many debates in this contract if the rest of the world wants in, I can see this one going down to the final hours if these are the issues.

So your saying that they would have had an agreement done already two years ahead of time ?

If both sides agreed with everything, then yes, maybe.
If theres debates, NO, I can see many debates in this contract if the rest of the world wants in, I can see this one going down to the final hours if these are the issues.

Not just me saying that.And yes,they usually do negotiate these types of contracts well in advance.I don't think DTV will drop ST,I do think they will opt out of an exclusive deal.The NFL will ask for a whole lot of dough,for an exclusive contract.They can generate more revenue by offering it to other cable and sat companies.

Not just me saying that.And yes,they usually do negotiate these types of contracts well in advance.I don't think DTV will drop ST,I do think they will opt out of an exclusive deal.The NFL will ask for a whole lot of dough,for an exclusive contract.They can generate more revenue by offering it to other cable and sat companies.

Oh, I agree, however, some were making it sound like D*was dropping the ST.
Thats not gonna happen, however, how many think that if they do open it up to all that the price will go down?
I am no one of them.

More than likely the others now know what the public is willing to pay and will price thier ST accordingly.

Afaik, the NFL doesnt dictate the price you have to ask for it.

Thats not gonna happen, however, how many think that if they do open it up to all that the price will go down?
I am no one of them.

More than likely the others now know what the public is willing to pay and will price thier ST accordingly.

On that I agree.Price will definitely not come down.

I am no one of them.

Well maybe can end up like canada where you have stuff like rogers sports sports pack and other system that 2 for deals with NFL ST and NHL CI.

glad DTV is taking a stand with Pac , they want DTV $ (ours really) and DTV will get Pac we just have to wait them out.

i want ALL sports channels i don't care what language it's in.Fox Deportes, ESPN Deportes ESPN UK etc
it's not like the ones i understand have a lot to say.

glad DTV is taking a stand with Pac , they want DTV $ (ours really) and DTV will get Pac we just have to wait them out.

i want ALL sports channels i don't care what language it's in.Fox Deportes, ESPN Deportes ESPN UK etc
it's not like the ones i understand have a lot to say.

Couldn't agree more. Fox Deportes UFC coverage is longer than the English Fox broadcast affiliates. They usually air a better Saturday baseball game than my local Fox stations. ESPN Deportes has some interesting soccer games. It would be great if they were HD on Directv. I wouldn't mind some TSN and especially RDS on Directv in the USA either...

Well if this is true I will dropping DirecTv. Hate to do it because I love the equipment but I hate going out to watch the Cats play.

If I was direct if u want u pay 4.99 a month or something like that

I think that is what D* is wanting to do... either standalone, or at least as your RSN in the areas they cover (probably with the $3 RSN fee) or Sports Pack... the issue is that Pac 12 doesn't want to play along... they want the same coverage as the Big 10 network -- as in everyone gets it regardless of what area you are in. I'm also sure they want a bunch more money than Big 10--and since it would be available in the basic package, it means D* would have to pay a fee for every sub in the basic package.

As much as I'd like Pac 10, I'm hoping D* will stick to their guns... there will become a point in the not too distant future when the revenue lost on advertising will be greater than the revenue gained from the additional carriage (since they cover multiple regions, this would only be the people who are outside of their RSN range who don't subscribe to Sports Pack) -- and then they will be a little more flexible in either lowering the price for national carriage, or giving in and offering it in the Sports Pack / local RSN at their current rates... At least this is how it SHOULD work. The issue with ALL the sports networks is that they use the teams as leverage, and jack their carriage fees higher and higher... Eventually there will be a breaking point, and I feel we are getting close to it.

I'd love to see something like this... Imagine if the basic packages went down by $6-8 per month, and the only sports channels in the basic package were ESPN and your local RSN... all other current sports channels except those 2 would be added to a new larger Sports Pack... but you were required to pick at least one premium option (so it would probably look like "Choice + One premium theme") -- you could add the (larger) Sports Pack which would get you all the current sports channels currently in basic packages, plus the current Sports Pack... OR, you could pick one of the movie channel packages, giving you just ESPN and your RSN plus HBO... the bill would go up by $4, but you'd have a movie channel and less sports ($12 for the first premium, discounted as you added more as usual)

If you wanted all the sports, the price would go up a few bucks to keep what you'd currently have, but you'd also get all the other channels in the Sports Pack... but if you could care less about the additional sports besides ESPN and your RSN and would rather have HBO, you'd end up saving a few. I'd take that option in a second... It's not that I hate sports -- it's just that I watch my local teams on Root and catch SportsCenter once in a while--I don't feel the urge to watch every third tier sport from leagues I've never heard of, college women's volleyball, nor do I sit down to watch endless player documentaries, nor want to watch 3 sports nuts replaying every second and "what could have been" from a "classic game" that happened 2 years back... I can watch my local teams and get sports news from the main ESPN feed and my local RSN; I'd rather leave the in-depth stuff to those people who live for sports a bit more than I do, and put my money towards another movie channel.

I'm sure the movie channels would get a bump out of this too. The sports networks would hate this -- they would only get paid for people who actually decide they want their programming! ESPN couldn't complain too much since I think the main feed has enough mass appeal that it should still be included in basic packages... they would lose a few cents for ESPN2, News, Classic, College etc.... IIRC the Sports channels used to be packaged like the movie channels... I find it funny about how they were able to get away from this -- I wonder how many people would pick movies over sports if given the option (and they had to pick at least one)

Last edited:
If there was a reality-free package, sign me up. No Honey Boo, no Duck Dynasty, no Kardashians, no crap. Just Sports, HD Extras, Comedy Central, the Fox cable family, a new crap-free Discovery channel, etc. (TBS, TNT, etc included since they show sports. No, we don't need a Turner Sports channel, but they should keep the sports on TNT. Who thinks to look for non-Braves baseball on TBS?) The Weather Channel is all flashy and HD... and a waste of time. I would take the 1990s Weather Channel in SD over what we have now. Networks need to stop putting sports on dumb channels, too. Hockey on CNBC? NCAA on TruTV? Ignorance.

Rant over, carry on.

I remember that thread. You'd think Directv would listen to their customers more. I would love to find someone who actually likes the current method - someone not working directly for the owners of the major channels and their forced bundles of crap.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)