No rain fade?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's the good thing about c-band. I have a 10'mesh and I can't recall any time that
it lost signal in even the heaviest rain..

I had a thread on the rain/snow fade on C-Band around new years
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=85580

I use a 6 footer and we have had heavy wet snow and pouring rain and no issues. The other day we had heavy clouds and snow. C-Band held like a champ...ku gone. The only thing I lost was AMC1 which is my "offset" C-Band LNB
(I have a LNB at G4/G16 and a 2nd C-Band hoseclamped to AMC1 so the signal is really low to begin with.)

OK anyone here experience absolutely NO rain fade with their c-band system and what size dish do you have? Thanks.

I recall one time in more than 20 years since I had this 10' dish when the rain came down the hardest I have ever seen before, I could not really see anything out the window, my ku-band was washed out 100% so I moved the dish to Starz on C-band that I always have at 99 quality and if I recall it went down to 76 or something like that, I started moving to a weak C-band channel but by that time the rain died down, Starz played fine in the insane rain that day but that was the most I have ever seen the signal go down on c-band in my days.

Never had any rain or snow fade issues ever sometimes i have 2 remove the snow off my dish but i still have never lost my signal all the way. on the Ku side thats a different issue. thats why C-Band rocks

I think the only rain fade I ever saw was on F1 ( quite a few years ago) which was the farthest satellite to the West I could receive and I had some LOS issues even on a good day. But of course I never lost the signal completely.......that's the beauty......unless you have a thick blanket of just the right type of snow you never lose the signal due to weather, NEVER.......well 'cept for maybe a hurricane lol.

We have a 3 meter dish at work as a downlink for several program feeds and we experience rain fade for the first time 2 days ago when we had the mother of all thunderstorms roll through! Of course we were aiming near the western horizon and through the the entire length and height of the storm. And the rain outage lasted less than 30 seconds. :)

See ya
Tony

i have a 12ft paraclipse and never had rain fade, plus it catches alot of wind lol and never lot a signal but once.its because i didnt have it adjusted down right so since i fixed that probably it hasnt lost anything. but you can check it out if you want its on BIG Dish's topic here some where :)

In the 20 years I have had C band. I never saw rain fade. I've watched tv perfectly through some terrible storms. The only thing that happens is when the dish has alot of heavy wet snow in it. The extra weight can pull you a bit off the arc until you brush the snow out. I have had a inch thick coating of ice on the dish with perfect pictures. I currently have a 12 foot dish.

Ku on the other hand is affected since it's frequency is much higher and subject to attenuation, it's just the nature of the beast.

When anyone puts up a satellite system they should design a link budget into it. This allows for adverse weather conditions, especially important with digital. The extra signal margin can make the difference of enjoying tv or watching a blank screen.

Did once but in the tropics here and it was a full on tropical deluge, down by about 20% but most transponders were still watchable. Ku - forget it wiped out completley.

I think that being as how Ku is a much higher frequency, and therefore has a shorter wavelength, a good sized raindrop (of snowflake) is cabable of knocking out the signal. Whereas with C-Band you'd need something the size of a boulder to make a difference!

Thanks for the responses guys. Good to hear no rain fade even with the smaller 6 ft dishes like iceberg has and still no problems. I currently have the directv oval dish and rain shuts it down pretty easily. And although my much bigger primestar holds on in rain better than Directv dish, it still (really thought it would have done better), also loses the signal pretty fast. :rolleyes:

I have never had rainfade on C-band with my SAMI 7.5' mesh dish.
One time it rained so hard I could not see 4 feet past my windows. Ku got pretty choppy but I went to G-1 HBO/Max and had great reception on digital and analog.

C-band is superior for rainfade protection.
That is why the cable companies love it.

Large raindrops can resonate with the wavelength of KU band.

I can only imagine the rainfade issues with KA band on D* and some Hughes data systems.

In the very heaviest of downpours I'd see a few sparklies on some channels when using a 6 footer.........with a 10' dish, not so much!

I recently added Ku band to my C band 10' dish and was was watching History Channel on Ku one rainy day It kept fading out till I figured out what was going on. switched to C Band - NO Problem.

Our 10 foot dish is 150 feet from the house. One time, the rain was so heavy I couldn't even see the dish. I was watching analog at the time and could see the picture start to fade out a little, but still completely watchable. Digital was still fine. If you're dish is going to be out in the open, wind will proabably be more of a factor as dfergie mentioned.

No wind problems for me.............3.5" shedule 40 stainless, 5 feet in the ground with several sticks of 1/2" rebar cross drilled. 15" diameter concrete base and pole is filled with concrete to the top and only 5 feet out of the ground.

I think the dish would buckle and fly off the pole before the pole would give.

Call me "professor overkill" LOL

Anybody want to help me move my dish-LOL and dig up the pole?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts