No reason to sign up new to DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
SlicerMDM said:
And E* users just take the beta units they're given and then whine about all the problems.

<Thinking to self...> <how much further before this thread is closed....>

Go to the tivo forums and read about all the problems and glitches with the Directivo. There's PLENTY of them.

baloo75 said:
I am about to switch from E* to D* as soon as the HD-Tivo comes out. Why you might ask am I switching, is it because of lower monthly fees for equivalent programming? Is it because of the increased functionality that Tivo gets me? Is it because D* receivers actually work as they are advertised to? Is it because I know for a fact to get all HD on D* all as I need is a small 18x14" dish instead of I don't need a 3' dish for the foreseeable future as E* say (however long foreseeable future is)? Or finally is it because E* promises a lot of things and never delivers it and D* promises something it happens?

Look, I have a 721 which I paid ~$500 for a year ago. At that time there were several things they promised, including DishHome (don't care about this just the principle of the matter) ethernet connection, etc. etc. A year is to long to wait for this functionality. Heck it wasn't until about a month ago they finally got a stable version of the software for the 721.

Now I look ahead at getting DVR functionality for HD. It bewilders me why ANYONE would plop down $1000 for a 921 that will never work as advertised, will be buggy for the life of the product and cause lots of headaches. Sure it was the first one on the market but given E* track record does anyone really think people will be as satisfied with the 921 as people will be with the HD-Tivo? I sure don't.

E* might be cheaper upfront but I bet if you add up your cost after a couple of years, especially if you are techno weenie your cost will substantially greater with E*.

Just my 2 cents.

Sounds logical to me. My money's going to products that work.

But don't try to convince Chris. He'll just call you an uninformed, fanatic, joe six-packer..

SlicerMDM said:
Sounds logical to me. My money's going to products that work.

But don't try to convince Chris. He'll just call you an uninformed, fanatic, joe six-packer..

No I just called YOU that. You fit the stereotypical Tivo fanatic to a T. Hey do any of these things mean anything to you:

Caller Id?
Browse?
1 hour buffer?
Remaining recording time display?
Favorites lists?
A fast guide?
No 1-2 minute "please wait" message everytime you delete something?

Oh but wait, you don't need these features because your Tivo has wishlists and will record random stuff that it thinks you could like.

Chris Walker said:
E* customers know more about what's going on than D* customers do because the contact from D* management to their customers is nothing like E*'s close contact with their customers.

:haha BWAHAHAHAHA! Dude! Have you been watching the "Charlie Chats" since August? I question E*'s close contact with their own operations, much less with their customers! I'll grant you that D* is tight-lipped but at least their customers don't seem to be waiting on false promises. How long did Charlie keep promising the 522 and why is there not one in my living room now?

Chris Walker said:
No I just called YOU that. You fit the stereotypical Tivo fanatic to a T. Hey do any of these things mean anything to you:

Caller Id?
Browse?
1 hour buffer?
Favorites lists?
A fast guide?

Oh but wait, you don't need these features because your Tivo has wishlists and will record random stuff that it thinks you could like.

Chris, you brought up a couple of valid things here.

I will miss Caller ID (why the heck doesn't Tivo have this?)

Never use browse on my E* receivers so don't care.

1 hour buffer is a toss up because Tivo does 30 min on each tuner whereas E* does 1 hour for a single tuner

Favorites list will definetly miss those

guide speed, the Tivo style guide instead of the grid guide is faster, hopefully I can get used to using that because I am inpatient when it comes to guide speed.

The random recording on the Tivo can be turned off so this isn't an issue.

No device is perfect. Why is that both D* and E* should know their shortcomings and should fix them!

>BTW, E* DVR users would kill for Tivo's "lack of vision".
>Go ahead, admit it. Never mind. We know the answer

Uhhh.. If Tivo is so darn great , why the heck are you wasting your time on a Dish Network forum instead of sitting in front of your toy watching it perform all of it's magic ????

Chris Walker said:
No I just called YOU that. You fit the stereotypical Tivo fanatic to a T.

Don't forget idiot, joe sixpacker!! :D

Once again. Look at your posts. Defending E* shoddy receivers. Why don't you address that? Can you say, fanatic?

Chris Walker said:
Hey do any of these things mean anything to you:

Caller Id?
Browse?
1 hour buffer?
Favorites lists?
A fast guide?

Caller Id? - Pointless extra

Browse? - Browse what? I can browse all kind of stuff.

1 hour buffer? - Never wanted to move back more than 5 or 10 min, much less 1 hour. Is 1 hour more than 30 min? Sure. Does that make it better? Only if you'd use it. Like I said, I rarely use 5 or 10 min back, so this is pointless.

Remaining recording time display? - Never missed recording something because I didn't have the space so. Pointless

Favorites lists? - I have a favorite list. Next.

A fast guide? - Finally! A real complaint! I don't use it much. But when I do, it IS slow!

No 1-2 minute "please wait" message everytime you delete something? - Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't have to wait when I delete something. I generally have a dozen or so things saved at a time. Maybe that's why.

Feel free to make your comments on

Why it's fine for E* to ship BETA quality receivers.
Why the 721 update took, like 8 months to deliver, THEN, IT had bugs.

TONS of other stuff to list but I have to go...

Perhaps I'll fill you later about all the bugs you defend with E* equipment but, realistically, you know what these are don't you, FANATIC!

beejaycee said:
:haha BWAHAHAHAHA! Dude! Have you been watching the "Charlie Chats" since August? I question E*'s close contact with their own operations, much less with their customers! I'll grant you that D* is tight-lipped but at least their customers don't seem to be waiting on false promises. How long did Charlie keep promising the 522 and why is there not one in my living room now?
I GUESS ALL THOSE MISSING LOCALS FROM LAST YEAR DONT COUNT!!!!!!!
:shocked :D

Well the PC PVR is also buggy and has software issues. I was disapointed with the problems I had out of the box. It took me about two weeks until I finally got it to work right for the most part.

SlicerMDM said:

Caller Id? - Pointless extra

I think wishlists, Tivo's recommendations, and season passes are "pointless extras". However I do find a fast guide, caller id, browse features, favorites lists, remaining recording time displayed, and the other features I mentioned VERY useful. So who's to say that one reciever is superior to the other? And I don't know why you feel the need to harp on E*'s supposed "shoddy recievers". My 508's and 721 have worked flawlessly other than some minor issues during a previous software release of the 721, but that has been fixed for some time now. Tivo has had some bad software and bugs too, that's technology for you.

SlicerMDM said:

1 hour buffer? - Never wanted to move back more than 5 or 10 min, much less 1 hour. Is 1 hour more than 30 min? Sure. Does that make it better? Only if you'd use it. Like I said, I rarely use 5 or 10 min back, so this is pointless.

MANY times I will watch something then pause it for maybe 45-50 minutes for a phone call, and it's quite nice to be able to rewind 60-65 minutes to either watch or record the beginning.

928gt said:
>BTW, E* DVR users would kill for Tivo's "lack of vision".
>Go ahead, admit it. Never mind. We know the answer

Uhhh.. If Tivo is so darn great , why the heck are you wasting your time on a Dish Network forum instead of sitting in front of your toy watching it perform all of it's magic ????

Ever been around someone at work that uses a Mac? They don't get the hint either. It's always "man you need to switch, Bill Gates is satan, Windows is going DOWN". These Tivo fanatics are very similar, they hate Dish Network, Charlie Ergen, and have to trash them when talking to a Dish customer at every opportunity. I think it makes their day for some reason.

juan said:
I GUESS ALL THOSE MISSING LOCALS FROM LAST YEAR DONT COUNT!!!!!!!
:shocked :D

:yes Okay, I'll play that game. When I got my E* system 4 years ago, the installer assured me that I would have locals within 6 months. He had received word from E* that the final negotiations were going on even as we spoke. Care to take a guess at how that played out? Go ahead, ask me if New Orleans has locals even now. But am I angry? No, because I felt that Charlie's hardball tactics kept subscription costs low. You win some, you lose some.

At any rate, I was not promised locals by D* (or anyone else) last year and the D* forums were (for the most part) inactive so I can't really comment on "missing locals from last year." If you say so, I'll have to take your word for it. How many locals were promised?

Neither E* not D* walks on water as far as I'm concerned. I take any promises of upcoming programming with a grain of salt because negotiations between corporations can always break down. However, E*, and only E*, is responsible for their product. They control the software, development, and production. I waited 2 years for the 522. What the heck happened? Obviously that is my big bone to pick with Charlie. He kept announcing on his chat that it was coming "next quarter." And I stand by my comments about E* appearing to be out of touch with itself since August.

Chris Walker, you are a funny man! :p You joined this forum this month (I'm betting today, actually) and as of right now, you have made 13 posts, all in this topic, and alll to trash and insult people who like (or prefer) DirecTV, Tivo, and Macintosh computers.

Things must be slow at home, huh?

Chris Walker said:
I think wishlists, Tivo's recommendations, and season passes are "pointless extras". However I do find a fast guide, caller id, browse features, favorites lists, remaining recording time displayed, and the other features I mentioned VERY useful. So who's to say that one reciever is superior to the other? And I don't know why you feel the need to harp on E*'s supposed "shoddy recievers". My 508's and 721 have worked flawlessly other than some minor issues during a previous software release of the 721, but that has been fixed for some time now. Tivo has had some bad software and bugs too, that's technology for you.

I agree. Wishlists and Tivo recs are pointless. I don't use them either.

However, season pass (ie: name-based recording) is, IMO, a requirement for any DVR. It simply makes the process of recording show a no-brainer. For instance, "The Apprentice" has been changing days and times ever since it started. Know what I had to do to record it? That's right, "Hey Tivo, record 'The Apprentice'". Done.

How about recording repeats, or only first run shows? (I really don't know) Do E* DVRs do that? If I've already recorded a show, Tivo knows it and doesn't record it again. Pretty nice if you ask me. Much smarter than "Record show 'ABCD' from 7pm - 8pm every Tue night". .. "Duh, ok"..

And you ask above, "So who's to say that one reciever is superior to the other?" .. well, YOU DID! At least your first post in this thread you said "Overall Dish is the superior service".

Dude, you're simply an EchoTroll looking to start an argument for the sake of arguing. Look at this thread! The first post is a guy saying he see's no reason to go to D*. Ok, that's fine. An honest observation. And you come back with -- "Tivo fanatics", "pushy", "it's BETAMAX", "stock in toilet", "Tivo bankrupt",...

And you STILL don't acknowledge the plethora of mistakes, bugs, mis-statements, beta-release hardware, that E* made for more than a year now! Is this the "superior" company you're referring to?

Chris Walker said:
Tivo users remind me of Mac users. They are so convinced what they have is best, too bad everyone else doesn't agree.
Just like Beta tapes. Both Macs and Beta were better than their competitors - Microsoft driven IBM clones and VHS. But look what was economically viable and became the defacto standard. Macs lost because Microsoft licensed their software for anyone who cared to use it, as long as MS got their cut. Beta lost because VHS was licensed to other manufactures and Sony kept Beta as a private format ... until it was too late.

Tivos may be the best. But are they going to last longer than copycats and alternative program recording and timeshifting methods? Their only hope is to win lawsuits that would grant them a monopoly on the IDEA of recording to hard drive, the IDEA of time shifting, and the IDEA of doing all the other tricks they claim patent on. But they are destined for failure. You can patent a process, but you cannot patent the IDEA.

As long as others are not stealing the process (they have independenly figured out how to accomplish the idea) patent suits are not going to save Tivo. And the day that the court rules against Tivo MANY more people are going to be encouraged to show THEIR way of accomplishing the IDEA.

JL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)