No Satellite Signal...Tried Everything????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jgarel

Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
I have a four room Directv system that has been working for a year. Wednesday all four tvs lost all sat signals - 0 strength. My professional installer has bypassed the multi switch, shorted all wires to and from the mulit switch, tested all the recievers (I have off air to one of the recievers and it still works), bypassed the surge protector, replaced the lnb, and tried retuning the satellite. Everthing checks out fine, but there is no signal to the satellite. The satellite is bolted into a brick wall on the side of my house. Someting/someone could have banged into it, but it would not retune and does not get any signal. There are no obstructions between the dish and sky. Is it possible that the arm holding the lnb is bent (it does not appear to be) so the dish and lnb are not communicating? Any other ideas on what I might do?

It sounds to me that your installer may not be very familiar with troubleshooting, he should have taken his meter directly to the dish itself and and diagnosed the alignment and lnb right there, if no signal, swap out lnb with known good one, then align and peak dish. Even if the dish was bent a bit, you would still be able to peak the dish, just way out of the regular altitude settings. That would be a problem with a oval dish though, because the bend would not allow all 3 sats to be aligned properly.

It does make sense that they should have metered the dish, but since they did replace the lnb with one right out of the box, and then tried to tune the dish and still we got 0 signal, any idea what to do next?

it was a joke , lighten up.

they all went down at once?? if you have a round dish, the multiswitch fried, find it and replace it

dragon

The meter readings should be taken directly at the dish to lnb, so if the lnb is new and good, and still no reading, somewhere over the course of the year, you have a LOS issue, happens alot in the spring as trees start to fill in.

Has anyone checked to see if voltage is getting to the LNB? Is this a Phase 3 or a 18" round with a separate multiswitch?

Thanks. I'll get someone out and take a reading at the dish. This is weird, since the dish does not appear damaged, we tried a new LNB, tested the wires and the multi- switch, and there's nothing between the dish and the sky - no trees, hills, houses - the dish has a clear view of the sky.

It's a Eagle Aspen, tripple feed built in multi switch, and then 4 cables are routed to a central panel with a switch.

if there is no voltage at the lnb, try the voltage at the REC side of the multiswitch (the wires going to the boxes), again if they all went down at once its the multiswitch, he already replaced the lnb

dragon

Do you mean that there is a multiswitch within the dish itself that may be bad? Because we bypassed the "multiswitch" in my central panel and tried one reciever at a time - still no signal, and we shorted all the wires on both sides of the central panel i.e from the dish to the panel and from the panel to the recievers and they all picked up the short.

You have a phase three dish with the wirs running to another multi-switch and the to the recievers. Do you have a dual tuner reciver or anoter dish for locals?? Why the mulit switch between dish and recivers??

wobbie said:
You have a phase three dish with the wirs running to another multi-switch and the to the recievers. Do you have a dual tuner reciver or anoter dish for locals?? Why the mulit switch between dish and recivers??

wobbie,

i spoke to him on the phone earlier, he has a phase 3 dish feeding a powered 5X8 multiswitch feeding 2 drd435rh rca irds, a dual tuner sd tivo and a r10 hd ird, they all crashed and burned AT ONCE. some other items, dish is mounted on side of home, no trees only beach view, so no sight issues. no ground block, they grounded the 5X8 m/s at the breaker box, no corrosion on any fittings. a professional installer from a private high end a/v store installed the system and tried troubleshooting. he put in a brand new lnb pack and barreled one line over to one of the rcas, nothing at all. one thought , i would have completely disconnected all the coax from the 5X8 and tried a barreled run to the rca. im thinking the 5X8 is fried and dead shorted and it is shorting out the lnb, what do you think? he is not a newbie, hes had directv from when it was dss and ussb and will not change, and HAS NEVER HAD A PROBLEM in all these years

dragon

Where part of the confusion set in for me was, when saying there is no signal at the dish, i wasnt sure if meaning that truely or meaning no signal on screen at tv. The very first thing I would check would before tearing anything more apart would be signal at the dish, removing all the lines there and using a self powered meter, ( birdog, channelmaster ) Once lnb and dish are online, backtrace from there, but at this point i would have to agree with the Fried 5x8 or its power supply got unplugged or is junk.

un plugged 5X8 would not short the lnb, right??!! just wouldnt pass the signal thru. also i forgot, his ota tuner in the r10 is working thru the 5X8 and the diplexer, but that is nothing but a pass thru on the 5X8 anyway, correct?

dragon

I didnt see anywhere he said that it was all shorted out, just that his installer tried some tests by shorting lines. ( not sure why you would want to short lines to test them, but had an installer who worked for me who would touch the stinger to his tongue to test for voltage, :p ) Yes OTA is just simple pass thru, dead or unplugged power supply = no power to LNB. So more than likely its one or combination of power supply and 5x8 being smoked.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts