NO Show/ No call Install appointment

HD-DON

Original poster
Sep 26, 2004
Greetings from a former Voomer and wannabe DishVoomer.

After much thought, I finally ordered Dish to capture the most HD content available today. I plunged further, ordering the 942 lease. The 942 arrived prior to my installation appointment, as promised. Then my Satellite installer shows up within the scheduled time frame. I'm thinking, "all right, HD is back!"

But, after 20 minutes of conversation, I learn that "Goober" (not real name):
1) Is sick
2) This is his second week on the job
3) Doesn't understand how to wire 942 for two locations
4) Cannot find line of sight for dish placement that is close to current VOOM dish, because of large oak tree
5) Finds line of sight at opposite end of home,at the highest point of the roof
6) Has no ladder on his truck
7) Has fallen off roofs before?
8) Just married 2 weeks ago
9) New wife pressuring him to move in with her parents... yikes!

I swear, all of it is True! He called his office to report his difficulty and the results were a rescheduled appointment, for four days later. To be sure, later I called Dish back to report what happened and to confirm? my new appointment. Today, was that appointment day and no show/ no call.
I again called Dish to complain, but all they could offer was to reschedule a third appointment 12 days hence. My attempt to speak with a supervisor failed. I suspect they are hiding.

It's deja vu all over again for me, as I had the same problems with my VOOM installation last year. I guess they use the same sub contractors, so I'm afraid I might be screwed. Should I just keep scheduling appointments until someone actually shows up? Any advice or insider conacts that can help me get installed? Would I be better off hiring the installer direct?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

i would see if there is a local retailer in your area, cancel your work order with Dish, and go through the local guy, at least you can find him if he doesn't show up for the job

Call DISH up and tell them you want an internal tech to come out. In CT at least if you ask for that they send one of their own techs out. Im one and I know we arnt the best but at least we have ladders and insurance! :D

Also in CT you have to carry a state licenes for DBS work. Ask him nicely for his if your state says you need one.

If some dude with no ladders shows up at my house and has only been on the job for 2 weeks I think i would tell him to take a hike.

Dishdude said:
How did he get on the roof to discover there was no line of sight on the side near the voom dish?

Doesnt sound like goober knew how to do it but checking for LOS on a roof from the ground is easy to do.

Dishdude said:
How did he get on the roof to discover there was no line of sight on the side near the voom dish?

Dishdude, He used my 12 foot ladder to reach the VOOM dish. However, the other side of the house is higher and will require a ladder of 24 feet or more.

boy921, you are right and thanks for the encouragement.

I invested another 65 minutes on the phone this morning, mostly on hold, but did get results. It is difficult to get a Dish managment person on the phone and the one yesterday failed to help. But today, I got a break with a competent manager, who really worked hard to help correct a twice failed installation. Within 15 minutes of my conversation, the regional install co. called me, apologizing for the botched appointments. They volunteered to send their "Lead Tech" out tommorrow to complete my install and I happily accepted. I am hopeful and expecting a successful installation tommorrow.

I also had an install nightmare (or am having!). I had to wait two weeks for an install, partly because of the 942 (although it arrived over a week ago). I was promised an installation between 12:00 and 5:00. Needless to say, no technician has arrived yet. I received a phone call at 3:00 stating that the installer would be here by 5:00, but he never arrived. I called customer service with the local company I'm going through, but they couldn't find the technician or his supervisor (I almost half jokingly suggested they check the local bar for them!)

I finally received a phone call, stating that the technician was having problems at the previous location and that they were looking for someone else to come and take care of my installation tonight.

This is definitely putting a bad taste in my mouth...

I understand your frustration, but this is service work. They are tryin' to get someone else out there, and whoever does come, take it easy on him, 'cause he's probably wanting to be home right now. It sucks you've wasted time out of your day, but just imagine the day he's havin', he's only human.

A company is only as good as its employees. They just called me a 7:15 p.m. to see whether either technician had arrived. Of course, neither has made an appearance. They supposedly have re-scheduled me to first thing tomorrow, but I don't trust anyone at this point. My fear is also that the technician that finally does the work will have problems with my job too, and do substandard work. My fears will probably turn out to be unfounded, but I have no recourse at this point and this is part of my frustration. This is not the way I wanted my first satellite experience to go.

In addition, he's getting paid for his work; my time has its own value too.

If you deal with a local retailer you will bypass this situation, dealing with a large company is like a pig in a poke and it looks like you got the pig! But hay" you bypassed the local guy and saved youself a bunch of money! BS If you have a problem later, that is assuming the system ever gets installed, they will tell you to call your local retailer and they will tell you to go pound salt! PS: I was only fooling about saving a bunch of money. Retailer have the same deal but do reputible work!

HD DON here, back to report a HAPPY ENDING ! to my twice failed installation appointments. Thank goodness my first installer (Goober) didn't/couldn't even start my installation. The second appointment being a No Call/ No Show, angered me enough to invest the phone time with Dish, pursuing my install with Managers only.

The regional installation company called me back, full of apologies and motivated to please. They sent 2 Techs, one their Lead tech, out to install me the very next day. They were very good, knew what they were doing and did a great job.
Mine was a roof installation, 24 feet high, with a steep pitch. Super Dish and the 61.5 was put in a rear corner of the house, completely hidden from sight from the front of the house. Half the time, they were working in a steady rain.

Everything was successfully completed and everything is working well. I have all the promised HD channels and I'm VOOMING again. Very Happy I am.

Call me naive, but I expect good service from all the companies/people that I employ. Trouble is, more often than not, I'm disappointed with the results. Today's consumer has to WORK harder and be more involved and more demanding to receive good service. And, when I get good service, I praise the provider and TIP them well!
These installers delivered good service and earned an appropriate Tip and my appreciation.

I also had a perfect install on Saturday morning. Because of my problems, they made sure to send an experienced technician who definitely knew what he was doing. He arrived at 8:30 and was gone by 11:00 and I've had no problems!

I love the 942! My cable DVR couldn't memorize the saved position of a recorded program; the 942 handled it like a champ!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)