No signal on Satellite B - Newbie needs HELP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

amuhm

Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
I have a Samsung TS160
Triple LNB (Phase III) dish mounted on roof (professionally installed)
Terk 5x8 Multiswitch
OTA Roof mounted antenna

I get a good signal on Sat A and C but nothing at all on B

I got the Triple LNB dish a while back before I had a HDTV receiver. Now that I have a HDTV receiver I cannot pull down the majority of DirecTV HD content. OTA works fine, but I get nothing from HBO-HD or HDNET

I checked connections, replaced cables, checked to see the roof mast was vertical and plumb. I even had a professional installer check the setup and he is baffled.

Any suggestions?

Zipcode: 60201

Does your dish have a multiswitch built into it? If so, is the 5x8 multiswitch cascadable? Do you have all 4 lines from the dish hooked up to the multiswitch?

I have the same system and my HD Net is playing just fine. Better call DirecTV again. What kind of OTA antenna are you using and does it work really good?

dgordo said:
Does your dish have a multiswitch built into it? If so, is the 5x8 multiswitch cascadable? Do you have all 4 lines from the dish hooked up to the multiswitch?

I think it has a multiswitch built into it...phase III type...I think the dish even said something like multiswitch on it...it has four cables coming out that used to go directly to four different receivers.

Since I put the Radio Shack OTA antenna, I put in the multiswitch so I wouldn't have to run separate cables to each of my TVs from the antenna

The multiswitch is the Terk BMS-58. I am not sure if it is cascadeable since I don't know what that means. :no

slater said:
I have the same system and my HD Net is playing just fine. Better call DirecTV again. What kind of OTA antenna are you using and does it work really good?

I live in the Chicago Area and I had trouble pulling in the local CBS affiliate. I tried many different options and finally just got the biggest one Radio Shack had. I think it was like $150

amuhm said:
I think it has a multiswitch built into it...phase III type...I think the dish even said something like multiswitch on it...it has four cables coming out that used to go directly to four different receivers.

Since I put the Radio Shack OTA antenna, I put in the multiswitch so I wouldn't have to run separate cables to each of my TVs from the antenna

The multiswitch is the Terk BMS-58. I am not sure if it is cascadeable since I don't know what that means. :no

My understanding is that you can't use more then one multiswitch unless the second one is cascadable. Try removing the 5x8 multiswitch and see if your problem will go away.

dgordo said:
My understanding is that you can't use more then one multiswitch unless the second one is cascadable. Try removing the 5x8 multiswitch and see if your problem will go away.

I believe that the BMS-58 by TERK is cascadable

Maybe the mulitswitch is bad, what happens when you remove it and run a line from the dish straight to the receiver?

If I'm seeing how Directv has their dish set up, Sat A is on the left (looking at the LNB from the back of the dish), Sat C is in the middle, which is where HD stuff is, and Sat B is on the right.

Have you made sure there is nothing blocking your view of Sat B?

Neutron said:
If I'm seeing how Directv has their dish set up, Sat A is on the left (looking at the LNB from the back of the dish), Sat C is in the middle, which is where HD stuff is, and Sat B is on the right.

Have you made sure there is nothing blocking your view of Sat B?

Clear line of sight as far as I can tell....goes above the trees

Here's the weird thing...I went and bought a new Samsung HD DirecTV receiver (same model) to see if it was an equipment problem. Same problem even with the new equipment. I know that Samsung recently said an upgrade may be needed. Anybody who is familiar with this upgrade know if this would cause my problem?

A couple of other pieces of information: The installer who recently checked out my system put a signal meter on my roof and said he could see a good signal from all three LNBs

The installer (I wasn't there since I was at work) said he tried a different receiver and was able to receive all three satellite signals.

The confusing thing for me is that every time I try the Samsung T160, I have the same problem (whether it is old or new). I am wondering if it a model specific thing...like the upgrade

Are all 4 wires from your triple lnbf connected to your multiswitch? If so, the first thing I would do is remove the multiswitch, and see if the receiver picks up all three orbital locations. If it still does not work, the most likely cause is cabling or connectors. I doubt very seriously if this is a brand specific issue with the receiver, in other words, if you connect a HTL-HD, you will still have the same issues. The key is that the installer can receive a signal from all three orbital locations with his meter at the antenna. The odds of two seperate receivers being defective is remote.

If you can, run a temporary cable from antenna to the receiver, bypassing the switch. Unless you have a very long cable run (which can also cause your problems) your receiver should now see all three locations. Put the switch back into the line, connecting all 4 lines from lnbf to the switch, and make sure setup still works. If it still does, then your culprit is either your existing wiring or connectors. Check all of your connections for shorting, if all is well, then you need to replace your wire.

Good Luck

Al

al said:
Are all 4 wires from your triple lnbf connected to your multiswitch? ......If you can, run a temporary cable from antenna to the receiver, bypassing the switch. Unless you have a very long cable run (which can also cause your problems) your receiver should now see all three locations.
Al

all 4 wires are connected to the multiswitch. I have tried two different multiswitches. So multi-switch issues seems remote.

I have tried two of the same brand and model of receiver with the same results. So I agree that the odds of it being receiver specific seems remote.

I do have what I consider is a long cable run (what is your definition of "long"). If it really is long, what problems can I have and what can I do to fix it (aside from shortening the cable run...in my case that is not an option)?

I don't think that it is a cable or connector issue because the installer (while I wasn't there) said that he was able to see all satellites when he swapped the receivers.

It is baffling, isn't it?

The definition of a long cable run depends on the wire. A basic copper clad steel conductor RG6 cable should easily carry 100-125 ft. Quad RG6 with solid copper conductor should carry 200 feet.

I have a setup in my home where my cable run was over 200 feet, with quad RG6. It began to act flakey, sometimes losing 101, sometimes 119 and sometimes 110. Would lose the satellite on all receivers. I moved the dish closer, and problem was solved. I doubt the long cable run is your problem, however, because sat b has never worked. Long cable runs usually make your system flakey, in other words, it would work for awhile, then act up.

I again suggest running a temporary cable from the dish antenna to the Samsung, bypassing your wiring. My guess is the wiring or connectors are your culprit, regardless of the receiver swap that your installer did. One thing I have learned about satellite tv the last 5 years installing them is that you do not assume anything.

Best of luck. Let us know what you find out.

Al

Are you sure that you have a clear line of sight above the trees? My guess is it's the trees causing your problem. The 119 has the lowest elevation. I also had an installer tell me I had a good line of sight above the trees, which I did for the 101 & 110. However, I didn't fix it until I bought the extended pole. This got me above the tree line for the 119. Now everything works perfect.

When standing behind the dish, the 119 sat is off to the right and about a 20 degree elevation.

Samsung Can't get the B Satellite

I had the same problem too! Replaced the three satellite LNB on my dish and still couldn't get it to work. Get SatelliteA and C perfectly and like you can't get HBO HD. I have a DirecTV Tivo receiver hooked up too, and checked signal strength there, and it saw the B Satellite, great signal strength. Called DirecTV with that fact and they tried a reboot, and had me reset my antenna setting on the receiver and then tried to download files. No luck. Now they are just going to send me a new receiver, hopefully the B hardware will work! Will keep you informed.

See if you can get a Hughes HTL-HD. I have one and so does a lot of other members of this forum. I haven't had any issues with mine. Works just like it's supposed to.

No Satellite "B"

I'm having the same problem with a Funai dish and a DirectV Model D-10 receiver. Satellites A & B are in the 90's but absolutely nothing from satellite B. I would like to know if I'm doing something wrong. My buddy and I spent a couple of hours trying to get it with no luck.
We've hooked up round dishes before with no prob, but this is our first multi-satellite.

Thanks in advance

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)