No Sound After Pause

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ERSanders

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
Fairport, NY
On one of my two hoppers I have the above problem. It can only be resolved by allowing it to play in delayed mode, even if only a few seconds. Eventually, if it is a few sconds pause, it will skip to live with sound, but not if I push it to live. I have tried "search" and not found this previously reported. I have tried the front panel reboot with no success.

Ideas? Or should I expect a s/w fix beyond v244?

The nearby TV (Sony) is connected by component and a remote TV (infrequently used Vizio) by HDMI.

BTW, this setup was working fine for a few weeks following the hopper install and the fault just started a few days ago.

The Sony is model # KDL-46Z100 since you were probably going to ask!

Last edited:
I have that happen every once in awhile, on all 3 Hoppers. I've learned how to compensate (generally go backwards a bit and then after a sec or so go forwards again). But it doesn't happen very often, not enough to be an issue for me.

When I try to view the TV Room HWS programs recorded OTA in HD on my MB Hopper, I get no sound. Pausing , skip back, skip forward don't work. Any other non OTA programs play fine. The HWS is connected via optical cable to a AV receiver. This causes problems at the TV Room tv but is usually solved via pause, skip forward or skip back. Why would it cause problems at the MB hopper? It should be a direct connect via MOCA.

I am still having this problem. It drops the sound when the "Live TV" banner lights up in the upper RH part of the screen, so if you're looking for a cause... that's a clue!

This is related to the popping nose issue that has been documented on the forum.

I don't think Dish cares. I have offered to help figure out a solution though phone, email, an this forum. No one has cared enough to contact me about it. After a DVR event, skip forward, etc.- I get loud popping noises out of the speakers. Often my AVR will shut down to prevent speaker damage. By "often" I mean 10-16 times in 4 hours. Easy to replicate. U-Verse didn't do it. Dish does. Also, my HDMI communication fails when Dish is in the loop- meaning my TV wont control the AVR if Dish is also on HDMI. Poor engineering.

I would test the electrical outlets for polarity. $3 will buy you a 3-neon-bulb tester.
The common problem is hot-neutral reversal.
You can use an ohmmeter with some care. Any voltage but 0 or 120 is a problem symptom.
Any arc as you add a connection is another symptom.

-Ken

Ken, if your question was addressed to me, the OP, my setup is running off an APC Smart-UPS 1400 (and the polarity is proper) so I don't think my issue is line voltage related. The UPS was previously used on my 722k for four years.

I have a similar problem. After watching anything recorded on the DVR, when I return to live TV there’s no sound from the TV (Vizio). If the AVR is on the sound is there. Hopper to TV is HDMI, Hopper to AVR is optical. I think it’s a hand shake problem with the Hopper to TV connection via HDMI. Only solution I’ve found is to cycle the power to the TV.

Did you try bypassing the AVR to see if it still happens? Have you tried replacing the hdmi cable?

Yes, the UPS was taken out of the circuit and the problem persisted. No on the HDMI cable, but it is the same one that served a 722k for four years without problem.

The problem happens only when you pause a live or recorded show for a few seconds (about the time it takes the large lower "pause" banner to change over to the small banner in the upper RH corner of the screen) so I believe it is probably a s/w bug. The problems persists if you repeat the short pause, but if you let it resume from pause, with the small delay, everything is OK albeit delayed.

Yes, the UPS was taken out of the circuit and the problem persisted. No on the HDMI cable, but it is the same one that served a 722k for four years without problem.
Even so, you should try a different HDMI cable, and also bypass the AVR altogether. That's the only way to really test correctly.

BTW, I've been having issues with no sound when coming out of standby. The problem has come and gone through several SW revs. But, I would forget to note which ones.

Also, if it makes you feel better, they are aware of, and working on, audio issues of no sound from standby, after pause, after skip, etc. Or, so I've heard.

This is related to the popping nose issue that has been documented on the forum.

I don't think Dish cares. I have offered to help figure out a solution though phone, email, an this forum. No one has cared enough to contact me about it. After a DVR event, skip forward, etc.- I get loud popping noises out of the speakers. Often my AVR will shut down to prevent speaker damage. By "often" I mean 10-16 times in 4 hours. Easy to replicate. U-Verse didn't do it. Dish does. Also, my HDMI communication fails when Dish is in the loop- meaning my TV wont control the AVR if Dish is also on HDMI. Poor engineering.
I haven't seen many posts about that. I certainly haven't experienced it. And, I've had a Hopper since day one. (Well...day two or three, anyway.)

Have you tried bypassing your AVR directly into your TV to see if it persists? Have you tried different HDMI cables? Have you tried TOSlink?

Different HDMI cable especially if the one you are using is under 6 feet. Even if not under 6 feet try a other one. There should be plenty of posts if it was a SW glitch.

I have the same problem with the HWS. No sound, unless you rewind it a bit. I also find that if I change the channel to something else the sound comes back and then when I go back to the original channel I have sound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)