no sound from VCr

vrajku

Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I am connecting the dish satellite receiver to the TV using component cables (Red ,blue & green) for video & RCA white & red for sound.
I am able to connect the VCR to the TV but what must I do to connect it in such a way that I can record as well. My satellite receiver has only one RCA connection which I have to use for the TV - Otherwise the satellite channels on the TV do not have sound. Pl. help

I am connecting the dish satellite receiver to the TV using component cables (Red ,blue & green) for video & RCA white & red for sound.
I am able to connect the VCR to the TV but what must I do to connect it in such a way that I can record as well. My satellite receiver has only one RCA connection which I have to use for the TV - Otherwise the satellite channels on the TV do not have sound. Pl. help

Hi, and welcome to satelliteguys.

There are several answers available to you, depending on what you need to do.

Answer1: Run the audio through the VCR before going to the TV. Connect the satellite audio outputs to the VCR audio inputs. Connect the VCR audio outputs to the TV inputs. Switch between the two by using the bypass switch on the VCR.

Answer2: Connect the VCR to the TV outputs. This will allow you to record what you are watching. It may or may not allow passthrough when the TV is off, depending on model. YMMV.

Answer3: Purchase an external video switcher from Radio Shack. Like this one: RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Video accessories: Selectors & switches: 2-Way Audio/Video Selector Switch

Answer4: Purchase a home theater (in a box or component) setup. This will allow better switching as well as giving you much better sound than you are getting from the TV speakers.

Answer5: You can purchase RCA Y adapters from Radio Shack that give you two audio feeds from a single one. However this will lower volume on both and potentially cause impedence problems, so I don't recommend it. It is cheap though, so you could give it a shot.

RS has several different types available. Here is one of them: RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Connectors & connectivity: A/V connectors & adapters: 6-Ft. Gold Series Phono Plug Y-Adapter Audio Cable

I tried Answer 1 and did not work. I have several inputs on my TV. The satellite is using one of them where the video is connected by red,blue & green component cables & the audio with RCA red & white from the satellite. This is the best choice I have to watch HD channels. Even though this TV is HD compatible , it does not have a HDMI or optical for audio.

The VCR is connected to anoter input . So when I play a tape, I do see the tape in that input. What I am not able to do is see the satellite channels in that input even when I set the VCR to line 1. I think an Audio/Video selector switch may be good . I have one infact. But could you please let me know how to switch between the two inputs . Thanks

I tried Answer 1 and did not work. I have several inputs on my TV. The satellite is using one of them where the video is connected by red,blue & green component cables & the audio with RCA red & white from the satellite. This is the best choice I have to watch HD channels. Even though this TV is HD compatible , it does not have a HDMI or optical for audio.

The VCR is connected to anoter input . So when I play a tape, I do see the tape in that input. What I am not able to do is see the satellite channels in that input even when I set the VCR to line 1. I think an Audio/Video selector switch may be good . I have one infact. But could you please let me know how to switch between the two inputs . Thanks

I didn't think #1 all the way through. You are correct in that you would still need the splitter to make this work.

To use the switch, ignore the video connections. Connect the common audio ports to the sat receiver. Connect one of the switched ports to the TV and the other to the VCR. Label the switch positions TV and VCR.

The downside of this approach is that when you are recording to the vcr, the only TV you can use would be the low resolution through the VCR.

BTW, what satellite receiver do you have? Most HD receivers I know of have multiple outputs, but I am more familiar with DISH.

Just wanted to let you know that I solved this problem. I left my satellite to TV connection untouched. I used the coax cable for my VCR & used RCA cables to TV using another input & set the VCR to channel to channel 3 & it worked! Thanks for all your help

Just wanted to let you know that I solved this problem. I left my satellite to TV connection untouched. I used the coax cable for my VCR & used RCA cables to TV using another input & set the VCR to channel to channel 3 & it worked! Thanks for all your help

I'm happy that you found a solution that met your needs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts