No sound via hdmi cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

John David Langan

Original poster
I have Direct Tv HD box connected to my Sony KDL-46W5100 Ser 8022841
software aa019fn, Everything was fine till a day or two go and now no sound to my TV via hdmi cable, on any of the four hdmi ports on the tv. I tested Apple TV 2 on the Hdmi cable to Tv and both pic and sound were fine. So I doubt cable is problem. I had Direct Tv out today and they swapped out box, STILL no sound. They blame my TV. Any one have a thought???

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Hmmm, strange! You have swapped the box with no fix. The cable works with other sources. Have you tried other audio connections from the Directv box? I have lost sound on occasion. It was a problem with the DD settings and a reset of the box did the trick, but I doubt it's that since you have swapped out the box. Try changing the audio from DD to PCM, which is Dolby Digital off.

Use a different a/v component (blue ray player, Xbox 360 or PS 3) that use a hdmi connection. If the tv still has no sound with that component, the tv may the problem. If the tv does have sound, then the problem would be with some other Directv component like the lnb, switch, splitter, bbc or cable.

charper1 said:
i am intrigued at how the LNB, switch or BBC could effect the audio out?
Yeah me too. We was talking about this today. Call Sony, the tv may need an update. Rare case but I'll tell ya. We've seen maybe 10 total, but we wouldn't get a picture or sound on a Sony tv. We swapped boxes and tried everything, sub called Sony and they sent him a USB drive with instructions to update the tv. These were both older an newer tv's we seen the issue on and a tech in my market had the issue as well. Sent the drive to him and he did what the instructions said and everything can back to life.

charper1 said:
i am intrigued at how the LNB, switch or BBC could effect the audio out?

The lnb may have a bad output. The switch or bbc could have a bad input, output or internal failure. A loose or bad cable connection can also cause problems.

Sometimes when an electrical component fails, it may fail in a way which only a part of the system is effected, not the whole. Case in point, I had a customer who owned a 2004 Chevrolet Impala and could not reset his "change engine oil" message on his cars driver display. I tried several times to reset the message, which I couldn't. After diagnosing the factory radio, which is used to reset the message, was the reason the message could not be reset, it was replaced and the "change engine oil" massage was reset. The radio itself worked but an internal failure in the radio caused the reset problem.

well I would never say never, but in 15+ years I can say I have never heard anything of this sort. I would recommend TV firmware updates and trying the above tests before going those routes

The lnb may have a bad output. The switch or bbc could have a bad input, output or internal failure. A loose or bad cable connection can also cause problems.

Sometimes when an electrical component fails, it may fail in a way which only a part of the system is effected, not the whole. Case in point, I had a customer who owned a 2004 Chevrolet Impala and could not reset his "change engine oil" message on his cars driver display. I tried several times to reset the message, which I couldn't. After diagnosing the factory radio, which is used to reset the message, was the reason the message could not be reset, it was replaced and the "change engine oil" massage was reset. The radio itself worked but an internal failure in the radio caused the reset problem.

Hello cave1376,

I like the part where the factory radio was replaced and the "change engine oil" massage was reset (message I think thought massage is funnier). I still type funny :smile: as the brain knows what to type but the fingers have a life of their own.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)