No sound when setting Dolby Digital off on H3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
So I bought a 75X900E set a week ago. Looks like Sony has a bug when unpausing a DVR, get this annoying pop thru the speakers. Anyways, truning off dolby digital solve the issue unitl Sony fixes, accounding to other forums. Tried that, but get no sound when off. What am I mssing? Do HDMI switching to my receiver and have ARC enabled.

First thing to always do is turn off ARC when having problems. it is possible depending on what you are using for the HDMI switching that could also be the problem. Have you just by-passed it and tried? Run directly to the TV.
If the suggestions above don't work it could be you need to toggle the Dolby setting, when you turn it off, turn it back on then off again. I would also suggest trying the DTS Neo setting if it has one. Also suggest trying PCM if it is set to bitstream.

Also try turning off the TV after making the setting change and then back on...

The issue is definitely with Sony. Popping doesn't happen when with my receiver on. Only off, with or without ARC, when sound is coming thru the TV speakers. But thanks, turning everything off , back on again, solved the issue. Getting TV sound now with DD off.

Reactions: Tampa8
The issue is definitely with Sony. Popping doesn't happen when with my receiver on. Only off, with or without ARC, when sound is coming thru the TV speakers. But thanks, turning everything off , back on again, solved the issue. Getting TV sound now with DD off.

I figured if I threw enough things out there one might work! :)

I've been in IT since 1985. Restarting all devices should have been my first step. Did some more digging. Sony released a patch late this month. Had to update via usb, since network update wasn't finding the latest software update. Anyways, this resolved my issue. I guess Sony introduced this bug with their Jan "fix"

Reactions: Tampa8
ARC, if it even works, is a problem always waiting to happen.
Yeah, trying to find the right balance. Wife just wants sound from the TV speakers. Ran a digital optical cable from the TV to my receiver. But when using the Android apps, have to switch the TV sound setting to "home audio" for it to output DD 5.1. Either way is just a short-term solution. As soon as I settle on a 4K player, will bypass any of the Sony built-in apps.

ARC, if it even works, is a problem always waiting to happen.

I think this probably depends on the hardware involved, not necessarily ARC itself. I bought my first 4K TV last summer and it happens to have Roku built in to handle its smart TV features. I don't have cable/satellite anymore so I use the built in Roku constantly for YouTube TV's OTT service, Netflix, Amazon, MLB.tv and quite a few other apps. I have been using ARC with my Denon AVR since day one with this TV and I've never had a problem with it.

It easily passes DD+ 5.1 and 7.1 audio back to my receiver and the CEC feature makes it so I don't even have to touch the AVR remote. Both devices turn on when I press the power button on the TV remote, it automatically goes to the ARC input, and the volume and mute buttons on the TV work to control everything. It's been a super convenient and seamless experience for me. I think ARC and CEC may have improved quite a bit from what some people are used to from prior experience. Either that or I just got lucky that my TV cooperates so well with my Denon AVR.

Well, the dolby digital setting off issue seems to be fixed, but no matter what the output volume from the Hopper 3 to my soundbar still is low and sounds compressed. I have to turn the volume up to 50% of max and still it is not good enough on some channels. Does anyone else have that problem. I have volume levelling off, and have tried both narrow and wide settings with dolby on or off, with almost the same results

Well, the dolby digital setting off issue seems to be fixed, but no matter what the output volume from the Hopper 3 to my soundbar still is low and sounds compressed. I have to turn the volume up to 50% of max and still it is not good enough on some channels. Does anyone else have that problem. I have volume levelling off, and have tried both narrow and wide settings with dolby on or off, with almost the same results
I notice the HD channels do sound more compressed than the SD Channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)