No street address: How do you give Dish service / physical address?

Amiga

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
I want to move my expensive Welcome Pack to a fixed location (not traveling RV) that doesn't have a street / numbered address. I already have the dish up and running, just being anal for Dish's billing system. I can provide the street name, city, and zip code, but not a number since postal service hasn't been established on the undeveloped lot. My billing address is okay since it goes to another location. Curious what others have done with rural locations?

My post office doesn't deliver to my rural house, either. and my billing address is a PO box, but I do have a physical address, thanks to 911 requirements. Don't know who you'd check with about this, but it may be a possibility. Good luck!

Reactions: jbrelish
Yep, 911 requirements have been pushing clear street addresses for some years. Long ago, the USPS stopped assigning addresses. Some local government does it now. It did it for a few years. You may have one you don't know about.

Reactions: jbrelish
Unless you are in an unincorporated area or not in the U.S. that lot or land would have a street number or even more than one number depending on frontage, developed or not. The postal service does not issue street numbers, the town/city does. When I bought our land I had a choice of what number to use of the ones assigned to it. (Frontage coverers three house numbers) We got mail there well before the house was completed, I simply told the Post Office my address, put up a mailbox and got mail.
You said there was a road, with no road there would be no street number to the land, obviously.

Anyone remember the rural routes? RR 5 Box 9187 Anytown, TN.....the only way to find anything was to call & get directions.

It usually went something like this. Yeah turn right at old man Codgers place, go down the hill past the oak tree, when you see a cow field go just a bit further. You'll pass a church & a barn, then you'll pass another church & a barn. Now you'll be at JD's 24 hr. drive thru pawn & gun auto parts pharmaceutical adult gift bait and tackle discount cigarette outlet. Turn left right there look for the trailer with a pickup truck, some chickens & a horse in the yard. That's my place.

I like specifics, if 911 gave you a street address I'd use it. :)

Unless you are in an unincorporated area or not in the U.S. that lot or land would have a street number or even more than one number depending on frontage, developed or not.
This is not entirely true. The lot address in some jurisdictions is dependent on the relative location of the driveway. They do this so that your higher numbered address doesn't come before a lower numbered address because your driveway is closer to the center of town. Where I live, the USPS used to assign a route and box number and after the home was built and a driveway established, the county would assign a house number and the address would be changed to a conventional address.

IIRC, they now assign the house number as part of the building permit process after seeing the plans for the driveway.

Anyone remember the rural routes? RR 5 Box 9187 Anytown, TN.....the only way to find anything was to call & get directions.

It usually went something like this. Yeah turn right at old man Codgers place, go down the hill past the oak tree, when you see a cow field go just a bit further. You'll pass a church & a barn, then you'll pass another church & a barn. Now you'll be at JD's 24 hr. drive thru pawn & gun auto parts pharmaceutical adult gift bait and tackle discount cigarette outlet. Turn left right there look for the trailer with a pickup truck, some chickens & a horse in the yard. That's my place.

I like specifics, if 911 gave you a street address I'd use it. :)

This one was my favorite. "Right before you see the red barn take a right." How do I know if I'm taking the correct right turn if I haven't seen the barn yet? lol

Hahaha. I have had to write those directions down for some tech visits I set up, and I can only imagine that the tech reading it was going "what in the hell is he trying to say?". Literally just typed them out word for word.

until this year our lake address was like that. RR1 Box ___. Whats funny is apparently the Box number we use to give was wrong as they had gone through a few years earlier and given different box numbers. So instead of like RR1 Box 155 it was RR1 Box 430. Not that we cared as any bill came to the house in the Cities.

Remember the HC ones too? Like HC4 Box 167A

As for the directions the propane guy still has that on our slip. "5 places on the left past _____ big new house with John Deere mailbox"

I want to move my expensive Welcome Pack to a fixed location (not traveling RV) that doesn't have a street / numbered address. I already have the dish up and running, just being anal for Dish's billing system. I can provide the street name, city, and zip code, but not a number since postal service hasn't been established on the undeveloped lot. My billing address is okay since it goes to another location. Curious what others have done with rural locations?
Put a number on it anyway. Once the USPS gets off it's duff and you get a real address, let Dish know about the change,.

Yep, 911 requirements have been pushing clear street addresses for some years. Long ago, the USPS stopped assigning addresses. Some local government does it now. It did it for a few years. You may have one you don't know about.
A HA!! Thanks,. I was unaware of that fact.....Anyway, the OP should just stick a random number on there or use the po box number but just not tell them its a po box number

Call the local building department. They will have the lot number at the least, possibly the actual number the Postal Services will use.

I only suggested the 7/11, because back when I did RV calls, and you needed an address for a night or two, it was easy to google one real quick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)