~~~No SWM system to SWM system~~~

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pickle3808

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Ok i have a slimline 5 dish. the LNB has 4 outputs and all four go into my two HR22s (2 inputs each). I'm going to be adding a 3rd receiver (HR24). I don't really wanna swap out my LNB to a SWM LNB and then have to mess with the wiring coming into the house. So... Can I just get a SWM-8 and plug the 4 inputs from the dish into it? Then, using an approved splitter, run 3 cables to my 3 boxes? If i understand correctly, i would only need to use ONE cable per box, instead of the two I'm currently using?

Also, do i still need to use b-band converters with a SWM system? I never really understood what those stupid things were for.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Yes, i realize the SWM-8 requires a power supply.

Thanks for the help!

The bbc's literally converted the higher frequencies from the ka band (hd) to the lower frequencies (ku band) for the receiver to decode them. But they are not needed with swm.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

You won't need any splitters with the swm8 switch.

Since the OP is going to have three DVRs he will need at least the SWS-2 splitter connected to one of the outputs on the SWM8.

OP will need a 4-way SWM splitter to run off the SWM8 with a 29 volt power supply as well
The SWM8 multiswitch has two SWM outputs, so if you don't have a Cinema Connection Kit the normal way to connect would be to connect the power inserter to the connector on the SWM8 that is marked SWM1/PWR, and then use a two-way splitter on the SWM2 output to connect to two DVRs, or a four-way splitter to connect three DVRs and allow for a CCK

The SWM8 multiswitch has two SWM outputs, so if you don't have a Cinema Connection Kit the normal way to connect would be to connect the power inserter to the connector on the SWM8 that is marked SWM1/PWR, and then use a two-way splitter on the SWM2 output to connect to two DVRs, or a four-way splitter to connect three DVRs and allow for a CCK

That is one way to connect it. I would say that the most common way a SWM8 is wired is line off of SWM1/PWR goes into you splitter. The power pass line on the splitter has the PI-29 in line with one of the receivers and the other receivers/cck run to the other ports on the splitter. I almost never use the SWM2 port on the SWM8 unless I am just using 2 SWM receivers and then need the legacy ports for older non-swm recievers.

Sorry, my bad. I assumed it had outputs for 8 tuners.

Sorry, my bad. I assumed it had outputs for 8 tuners.

The swm port on the swm8 switch is like the output of the lnb, it can support 8 tuners, but still requires a splitter to "create" the "physical ports"

I usually just my pi to swm 1 and put a splitter off the output of swm2. Term the pi output.

The swm port on the swm8 switch is like the output of the lnb, it can support 8 tuners, but still requires a splitter to "create" the "physical ports"

I usually just my pi to swm 1 and put a splitter off the output of swm2. Term the pi output.

That's how I do it too. I always run a separate line for the SWM8 and SWM16

I agree. liquidforce88 - DirecTV recommends against having the PI in line with a receiver if whole home is activated because they have had problems with noise on the line with that configuration

I agree. liquidforce88 - DirecTV recommends against having the PI in line with a receiver if whole home is activated because they have had problems with noise on the line with that configuration

I don't think it's an issue with 21's though but 29's I've always ran a line for them

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)