~~~No SWM to SWM system conversion~~~

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pickle3808

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
I currently have a Slimline 5 dish with the standard 4-output LNB head. I have two HR22 (I think) boxes with two inputs on each. So, all 4 outputs are being used up. No other multiswitch or anything like that is being used.

Can I replace the head on my current dish with this:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=SL5-SWM

If I do that, does that mean I can simply take the one cable that is output from the dish and use a regular splitter? Furthermore, do I need to use both inputs on the back of the receiver or can I just use one input and would get split internally (for DVRing one show while watching another)?

The way I understand it is that I get basically 8 outputs on the one cable. So if 4 are taken up with my current system and I get one of those genie boxes for another room I want to set up, how does that affect things? If I understand this right, the "Genie" box uses 5 inputs.... If I only have 8 total and 4 are being used by my two HR22s, will the genie simply only use 4 inputs, or do I have to do something else?

I'm sure there is an easy answer, sorry for the post... I just want to be sure I do things correctly.

I currently have a Slimline 5 dish with the standard 4-output LNB head. I have two HR22 (I think) boxes with two inputs on each. So, all 4 outputs are being used up. No other multiswitch or anything like that is being used.

Can I replace the head on my current dish with this:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=SL5-SWM

If I do that, does that mean I can simply take the one cable that is output from the dish and use a regular splitter? Furthermore, do I need to use both inputs on the back of the receiver or can I just use one input and would get split internally (for DVRing one show while watching another)?

The way I understand it is that I get basically 8 outputs on the one cable. So if 4 are taken up with my current system and I get one of those genie boxes for another room I want to set up, how does that affect things? If I understand this right, the "Genie" box uses 5 inputs.... If I only have 8 total and 4 are being used by my two HR22s, will the genie simply only use 4 inputs, or do I have to do something else?

I'm sure there is an easy answer, sorry for the post... I just want to be sure I do things correctly.

You can simply replace your standard lnb with a swm type. You would then need a power inserter to power the lnb and a splitter designed to work with Directv. You can't use a regular one. That would give you up to eight tuners with one cable to each dvr. If you want to add a Genie, then you would have more than eight. In that case, keep the lnb, add two more cables giving you four. They would go to a swm16 multiswitch and a power inserter which would allow for up to 16 tuners. If you do want to add a Genie, Directv will supply the swm16 and do all of the additional wiring for you.

Chip (raoul) pretty much nailed it. If you want to use the current setup get a SWM5 and the PI and splitter. By the way....ebay has the whole kit for much cheaper ;)
Here is an example of one kit

If you go above 8 tuners then you'd have the get a SWM16 which uses the same LNB as you currently have
something like this

You'd run the 4 lines from the LNB to the SWM16. There are 2 outputs. One I would hook directly to Genie (HR34)...no splitter
The other output hook up the splitter and to the 2 HR22's

With SWM only one line is needed....Sorry if some of this is rehashed ;)

Ok so I probably plan on getting the Genie. If I do that, stick with my current LNB (4 outputs). Attach all four from the dish to the SWM16 (using the PI).... Then take one single cable and attach it to the Genie. Then take another single cable, attach it to a supported splitter and then plug a single cable into each of my existing HR22s. I DO NOT need two cable for each HR22 with the SWM16 right?? This whole system will work with no problems?

Ok so I probably plan on getting the Genie. If I do that, stick with my current LNB (4 outputs). Attach all four from the dish to the SWM16 (using the PI).... Then take one single cable and attach it to the Genie. Then take another single cable, attach it to a supported splitter and then plug a single cable into each of my existing HR22s. I DO NOT need two cable for each HR22 with the SWM16 right?? This whole system will work with no problems?

thats sorta correct, you definitely want to keep your current lnb (dish feed horn) and the 4 wires, and purchase a SWM16 with power inverter. From there it depends on what your existing setup looks like and where your ground block is, hopefully you dont have cables running right off the dish into your receivers.

Ideally you want to go dish -> ground block ->swm16. the swm16 has a port for the power inserter, you run a cable to that and plug it in, this is separate from your receivers. Next you have two options, with genie or withou genie. If you want to setup now before you get the genie, trace the lines going from "sat1" on both boxes back to where your ground block was, connect these to swm1 and swm 2 respectively, doesnt matter which goes where. disconnect the cable feeding "sat2" on each dvr and just leave it as a spare. With genie you need a swm approved splitter with a green label, again I recommend ebay for these items. just search "Directv swm 1x2 or 1x4" basically you put this on SWM1 and hook one of your dvrs up to one leg, and your genie up to the other. Leave the 3rd dvr where it is. You could move the 2 dvrs onto this splitter and put the genie on swm2 alone or move both dvrs to swm2 and put the genie on swm1 alone, these are all basically the same setup in different ways.

Now if you are replacing one of your dvrs with a genie. then go back to my first method, hook the genie up to SWM1 (or 2) and the other dvr up to SWM2 (or 1) and you dont need a splitter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)