No TV Display on new Openbox X3 - Can Anyone Help?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Finally got my USA Power Cord today for my new Openbox X3 Rx. The bad news is no matter what I try I can't get a display on my Pani HDTV on HDMI 3?? The X3 unit powers on and immediately goes or runs to No Channels on its internal display window. On my TV HDMI 1 is for my Bell Sub Rx, and HDMI 2 is for my AzBox Rx. I have tried switching the Openbox X3 to HDMI 1 & 2 but Nothing. Tried 2 different HDMI Cables, bypassed my VBOX III and hooked it directly up to my Big dish which is currently on my true South Sat 97.0W, I have followed the Instructions that say Hit Standby Button, then hit Menu, but how can I set it up or do a FW upgrade if I can't see a Screen for the X3 Receiver? I also tried the Component Video terminals at the back of the X3 instead of the HDMI Output but still got no TV Display. Can anyone please help and let me know what I have missed OR is this an inoperative X3 Receiver? Any replies would be very much appreciated.

Sure sounds like it is in PAL mode.

Does it have a composite video (yellow) output connector? I use this on my S9 if I get out of NTSC mode. Once you set the S9 configured back to NTSC, then you can use the HDMI connector.

Last edited:
Try pressing the V.Format button on the remote a few times. The default setting for the F3/X3 is 50hz, a lot of displays won't play nice with it. I found that for every 2 presses of the V.Format button, it changes by one mode. To make things go faster, I finally connected the composite video plug in addition to the HDMI for when this happens.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

I reset my AZBox and put it in PAL mode once. I hooked it to my computer monitor via HDMI and switched it back. The computer monitor didn't care about PAL or NTSC, displays them both.

Does it have a composite video (yellow) output connector? I use this on my S9 if I get out of NTSC mode. Once you set the S9 configured back to NTSC, then you can use the HDMI connector.

Thanks for the comments. Component Terminals on top row are labelled Audio - R, L, then Yellow Treminal with Video written beside it. Component Out Terminals on bottom row are Labelled from left to Right: Pr (Red Color), Pb (Blue Color) and Y (Blue Color). Nothing working so far tried pressing the Video Format button on the Remote but didn't help, & don't have a computer with a HDMI Terminal Input. Any additional help or comments would be appreciated.

I remember the very first batch of S9 and S10 came with a firmware that doesnt output via the composite on newest or bigger HDMI TVs. They dont recognize the analog yellow/wht/red connectors either. Most people solve the problem using an older small TV. Once you get video you need to go immediatly to menu/system setup/ TV system and change it to Video resolution 1080i_60 using left/Right arrows

Try using the upgrade tool with a null modem cable and upgrade to the latest fw. I think yojiatech has both. You won't need a tv for that. If that don't work you may have a hardware problem.

Well got a really annoying Rolling Picture on some older CRT TV's, and those menus are there but really hard to tell what they say with the rolling picture. Think I am on one X3 Rx Menu that says "Upgrade by USB". The Rolling Picture appeared on 3 separate CRT TV's using the Video In and the Yellow Video Terminal on the Openbox X3. In the old days we used to have a Vertical Hold Control on older TV's which is what I need, but really baffled on how to stop the Rolling or what to do next? And getting this Box to eventually work with the HDMI Cable later on just doesn't seem to be even remotely possible!! Any advice would be appreciated.

Rolling Picture. My old TV in the living room does that all the time after a reset on the S9. But luckily the old TV in my bedroom displays it ok. I walk back and forth to get to the right display setting. Maybe you could count the steps or clicks needed on the remote needed to get you to the right place?

Well got a really annoying Rolling Picture on some older CRT TV's, and those menus are there but really hard to tell what they say with the rolling picture. Think I am on one X3 Rx Menu that says "Upgrade by USB". The Rolling Picture appeared on 3 separate CRT TV's using the Video In and the Yellow Video Terminal on the Openbox X3. In the old days we used to have a Vertical Hold Control on older TV's which is what I need, but really baffled on how to stop the Rolling or what to do next? And getting this Box to eventually work with the HDMI Cable later on just doesn't seem to be even remotely possible!! Any advice would be appreciated.

now that you have scrolling video you can use the V-FORMAT boton. Wait a few seconds between each hit until you have a steady picture. Doesnt matter the video resulution. Once is steady go to menu/system setup/ tv system and change video resolution to 1080i

Boy oh Boy, I'm shopping for new receiver and was thinking openbox X3 but now I'm a little worried!! Please give me your opinion later down the road when you get it working. Good Luck:confused:

As long as you save your settings to usb once things are setup you should be okay. A factory default will take you back to pal or 50hz video mode. The 50hz mode is what will cause the rolling picture on an older screen.

Many receivers that we have tested, which are primarily manufactured for international use are loaded with only 50hz based resolutions. The composite output may be locked to 576i and not be able to be changed in the current firmware. If you cycle through the format settings and the HDMI does not sync, the unit may only support 50hz HDMI connections.

Your only option may be to connect to a computer monitor via HDMI so you can see the available resolution settings.

Maybe your reseller could assist?

Many receivers that we have tested, which are primarily manufactured for international use are loaded with only 50hz based resolutions. The composite output may be locked to 576i and not be able to be changed in the current firmware. If you cycle through the format settings and the HDMI does not sync, the unit may only support 50hz HDMI connections.

Your only option may be to connect to a computer monitor via HDMI so you can see the available resolution settings.

Maybe your reseller could assist?

Thanks a lot SatAV and guys. Think you likely nailed down the problem re 50 Hz. Bongu the V-Format Button doesn't seem to correct this problem. Since I can see that the bouncing screen currently says Upgrade by USB, I was wondering if I inserted my already upgraded to the latest Firmware USB Stick into the USB Slot on the X3 Rx, would this maybe correct the problem? That is insert the USB Stick then Select this FW (which is all I have on the Sandisk Curser Stick), then Select Ok and wait for the Upgrade? Squid 385 can you or others help?

Doubt upgrading would fix it, cause I'm 99% sure that, that firmware will also be default to 50Hz. Being that it is coming out of the same place.
If you can see the menu even though it is rolling and I know very annoying, but can you not navigate over to change the resolution?

Maybe you could make one of these adaptors like I built to convert RGB to VGA.
VGAadptr 002.JPG

If the unit is stuck on the upgrade by USB screen, the v.format bottom will not work. You need to be FULLY out of the menu selections. Hit the exit button until you leave that screen to get to the correct point.

Sounds like you are already in the upgrade menu. Push exit and right arrow to system menu, hit ok button and down arrow to tv system. Push ok button and see video resolution. Right or left arrow to 480i, 480p or native tv. The x3 should work just like the f3 and they do work with 60hz tv's unless you got one with a corrupted fw.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)