No video with enigma

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Help how do I get my video back. I can FTP and SSH into my AZbox. I know it installed right... but I have lost my video link on the TV using HDMI. I have tried composite with no success either. :( any ideas?

Help how do I get my video back. I can FTP and SSH into my AZbox. I know it installed right... but I have lost my video link on the TV using HDMI. I have tried composite with no success either. :( any ideas?

K9,

Explain (in detail) what happened or what you did just previous to this condition. Something had to have changed, obviously, so did you do something recently? Or did you have a power glitch? Do you have kids in the house that could have tampered with the remote? A pet didn't just happen to crawl behind your entertainment center and eat the wires or dislodge them?

Sorry for not being able to provide a more accurate or definite answer for you, but it could be almost anything at this point. More information regarding the symptoms is required. It could be a hardware failure and it could be something dumb and simple. I suggest that we research the "dumb and simple" possibilities first. No offense intended, but the odds generally favor that direction.

RADAR

I went to upgrade from factory (latest) to Enimgma (Latest) Downloaded the file from enigmas website. The latest enigmia firmware did not have the patch.bin file in it as per the instructions for AZ up. I had went and downloaded AZ box RTI Core 1.1.12 wich had the patch.bin file in it. From there installed that onto the azbox as the AZUp would not allow me to upgrade directly to the latest core as the Kernal version was still on the old version. Once that was installed, I lost all video. I was able to log in via AZUP and attempt to install the latest firmware. Now it seems to be stuck on 2.6.39-43-theripper. And wont upgrade to the latest version.

I can telnet in through ACC and see whats going on through command line, so the box isnt dead.

K9,

Ok, that makes sense. I think that Mr3P is going to be one to help you recover from this situation. He is obviously the one that would know this scenario and the in's and out's regarding the Enigma firmware and installatioins. If you cannot get a reply right away from him, try using the search engine for his previous posts and threads here. I have skimmed them and I think that he has something along the lines of a proper recovery procedure for your situation.

RADAR

Im not sure which file you used but the current enigma2 images should be patch.e2 files. im not at home at the moment but im thinking you need to edit /etc/boot or similar to initialise your hdmi. im a bit rusty on enigma as ive been working on the new version of 4play for 4dtv pretty exclusively lately. you havent killed your box though. Have you checkt the rti forums? i know ive seen this issue posted there.

crackt out ,.

I think im coming out of the woods! :D finally was able to get a picture from Engima. Did take a look at it, and I really don't like it. Anyhow, now I'm trying to revert back to the orignial firmware using Jazup. Hopefully if all goes right, Ill be out of the woods.

K9SAT said:
out of the woods and back to the original firmware.... What is the exact advantage of Enigma? What I saw I really wasnt impressed with.

What did you not like? The advantages start with cross platform development and open source. How about active development? opensat hadnt released an update for months until enigma2 was ported to the azbox. did i mention i can control enigma2 azbox with my droid smartphone? i am looking at streaming to my smartphone as well although my azbox projects are backseat at the moment, enigma2 has and will show the true potential of the azbox hardware

crackt out,.

Hi K9SAT,
Just seeing this thread now but sounds like you were able to recover, which of course is the most important thing. While it hasn't reaslly happened since some of the earlier builds, I have experienced no video. In most cases it was easy to resolve by simply rebooting or connecting a composite cable to the display to reset the HDMI output to the correct settings. In the worst case scenario, I had to ftp in and manually edit the video output bootup settings although that hasn't happened in a long time. I can completely understand your immediate opinion of E2 as it is easy to not appreciate its advantages until you spend some time using it, especially as it is very different from factory firmware which all of us are quite familiar with. Some of the advantages of E2 over factory firmware include much greater ability to adjust settings, more responsive interface, better OSD, faster channel changing, dish motor positioning module which "autopeaks" signal, and endless potential for anything you can think of because its open source as crackt mentions. As I've stated in other threads, while E2 does have great potential, I'm still not advocating it as replacment for everyday use unless you are a hobbyist and especially for Premium+/Ultra owners as there is no hardware blindscan tool yet. That being said, I still use E2 for most of my viewing and I boot to factory on thumbdrive when needed. There is definitely a relationship between the E2 dev team and Opensat with some even speculating they are actually funded by Opensat however we will probably never know. I'm just happy to see development continue for our Azbox's including new factory firmware releases.

btw, in rereading your notes above, it sounds like you somehow downloaded/installed an older file as current install files are all patch.e2 files as crackt mentioned. Jazup is pretty nice utility and does allow for an easy recovery back to factory firmware as you discovered. RC12 is a stable build and while there are still some bugs it really is quite usable.

Maybe that's the problem is that I got a very old version of the software. I love jazup! Much better than Azup. The goal was to get the unit to dual boot as I have my setup stored with the older kernel. One specific thing that I didn't like is you couldn't do a combination of 22 khz switch, with other switches. I have a more complicated setup as I control everything through the AZ box. (see attached) To bad there wasnt a way to transfer stored positions through my Vbox back to the azbox with the enigma firmware. That would save me alot of time! Setup.jpg
pencil.png

22khz is controlled by lof switch. enigma2 has no problems controlling my diseqc and 22khz switches. once you have rc11 installed, updates can be done online.

crackt out,.

yah. from stock e2 wants a dreambox remote. the new keymap is alot better. a few more refinements and e2 would be pretty cool. i still get gears sometimes and the mediaplayer needs a tweak or two., but it does a few things factory dont(codecs maybe). nothings perfect. but if a guy wanted too the source for enigma is public and everyone can fix it. alot of good info is available. the rti team has made alot of progress. now neutrinoHD. i dont have time to play with all this stuff.

crackt out,.

From what I've read Neutrino still alpha and doesn't yet support Premium+/Ultra but everyone seems to say it is the fastest OSD so I'm sort of curious to see if it lives up to the hype.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)