No VOD/BB@home streaming from 612 on L701

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Title says it all. I can't get access to the streaming options from my VIP612. When I try, I get an error 145 popup saying "Can't access server" (or words to that affect). The receiver thinks it's online; resetting the network connection doesn't help; it's still visible the other direction (from DishOnline). My 722 has no such problem. This has been going on for about a week. Anybody else seeing this issue?

Another interesting fact is, from DishOnline, Receivers and Accounts tab, both my 612s show "Connect a Sling Adapter" (Sling Device column) link. Probably this is a website error...

Title says it all. I can't get access to the streaming options from my VIP612. When I try, I get an error 145 popup saying "Can't access server" (or words to that affect). The receiver thinks it's online; resetting the network connection doesn't help; it's still visible the other direction (from DishOnline). My 722 has no such problem. This has been going on for about a week. Anybody else seeing this issue?

Another interesting fact is, from DishOnline, Receivers and Accounts tab, both my 612s show "Connect a Sling Adapter" (Sling Device column) link. Probably this is a website error...

I would try resetting the bb connection via the menus then exit that menu and do a front panel reboot. Then try again. That message means you aren't able to connect to a server or its timing out. How is it connected to the internet? Can you take the 612 to the 722 location and connect it with the 722s bb connection and try again?

It is hardwired through GigE switches. And as I've said, I can see it in the other direction (from DishOnline and DishAnywhere), so IMHO it should be able to see out as well. I've done the soft reboot, hard reboot, and comm reset, all to no avail. It has been rebooting itself every morning at 3AM since we got it, without affecting the problem. I suspect L701.

One thing I failed to check is my 2nd VIP612, which I see (from DishOnline) is also on L701. I'll try that one tonight.

The actual message for error 145 is "Server connection failure". This does not happen on my other 612, nor on my 722. It barely worked this evening, briefly, with 18 titles, before going back to error 145. This is an issue with my specific 612 accessing Dish servers. Yet the receiver (and other equipment on the switch) have no issues at all. And I can "see" the receiver just fine from DishOnline. Very strange.

The actual message for error 145 is "Server connection failure". This does not happen on my other 612, nor on my 722. It barely worked this evening, briefly, with 18 titles, before going back to error 145. This is an issue with my specific 612 accessing Dish servers. Yet the receiver (and other equipment on the switch) have no issues at all. And I can "see" the receiver just fine from DishOnline. Very strange.

Can you swap the 612 locations and see if the problem follows the box or stays in the room? Can you try connecting the 612 to a different port on your Ethernet switch? Are all the receivers connected to that same Ethernet switch?

Can you swap the 612 locations and see if the problem follows the box or stays in the room?

Yes, though I haven't done so yet, and I was hoping not to have to try that. 18 titles... Bah!

Can you try connecting the 612 to a different port on your Ethernet switch?

Tried that already, with no change. You did note above that DishOnline and DishAnywhere can see and manage the receiver. So some Dish servers can indeed communicate over the network just fine.

Are all the receivers connected to that same Ethernet switch?

Well, no. I have a 4-port GigE router connected directly to 3 8-port GigE switches. Both my 612s are connected to different satellite ;) 5-port GigE switches. All switches and the router are D-link. The problem 612 is connected to a switch with a Patriot Box Office media streamer, which continues to work fine. All this stuff has worked fine for years.

Edited to add: No, that's not quite right. The satellite switch on the working 612 is a Netgear fast Ethernet switch. The satellite switch on the problem 612 is indeed a D-Link GigE switch. I suppose I could dig out another fast Ehternet switch and see if that fixes the issue...

Last edited:
Update: it fixed itself late last night or some time today. In any case, it's working normally now.

It knew I was getting serious when I showed up this evening with a big bag of network equipment to diagnose further. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)