No! Voom Reception in the Rain !!!

Voomster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
SF Bay Area
:no Voom gave me upgraded larger dish when after I went public on this fourm and spoke of no reception during the rain, well it's been a few weeks now of exceptionally dry weather in the San Francisco Bay area but last night it started to rain very lighlty for a while my new dish

In DRY weather gives me a Signal Strength reading of about 97% to 99 % which is very good and reception is perfect :yes

Last night the rain started lightly and my signal strenth went down to 79% to 82% and noticed minor signal quality issues as the rain increased in in strength interminentally

By midnight the rain was constant with heavyer burts and my signal strength now went down to 47% to 53% with NO Satalite Reception period ... :(

All during this evaluation my ota ( outside digital antenna ) kept its perfect reception at 97% to 99% from no rain to the most rain during that period.
My Weingard (ota) outside digital antenna preformed perfect. and it's doesn't cost me any monthly fees.

I not sure if my system situation is tipical or atipical :confused:
But from my observations from the first moderate rain last night and early this morning ... On those cold and rainy San Francisco Bay Area days and nights when you most want to stay indoors and watch all of those great HD Stations Voom provides and I pay for.... I be able to watch DVD's and all local (ota) over the air digital broadcasts some even in HD :)

But even with Voom's upgraded larger Satalite Dish I can count on no getting any Voom Satalite Reception in the Rain :mad:

Is this a problem that is unique to Voom, or just unique to all Satalite Digital Recepetion, or unique to my specific location :confused:
or a combination of all of the above I don't know :eek:

The only thing I am certain about .... is the San Francisco Bay Area normally gets lots of rain :!: and my

My Voom HD DBS Satalite DOES NOT WORK IN THE RAIN (for me) !!! !protest

Voomster :rainbow

I havnt got mine installed yet. Should be this Friday. I used to have Direc and lived in Maryland. We had some serious thunderstorms there. Lost signal a few times for a few minutes only. Loosing signal was just never a problem and I never gave it a second thought. Hopefully I wont be a no signal victim here in Vegas because it rarley ever rains.

You don't have many options. Live with it or dump VOOM. I feel your pain.

Oh sure, you will get lots of responses saying "get an even bigger dish / call VOOM and schedule a service call to repeak/ faulty equipment so replace everything/ email Wilt etc...
I seriously doubt any of this will help.

You will actually spend your days hoping for rainless days if you keep VOOM.

I was just approved for a 24 inch dish, LOL i asked for it when i signed up because i knew from april try at voom it was going to be an issue. they said no i ordered was installed and viola no pic, and 2 weeks later im approved for a larger dish. damn i wish i wasnt so damn brilliiant (actually i wish i was) lets hope this lets me see voom, if not im cancelling and they can bill me the 250 , no credit card on file thank you, hence the reason im not scared LOL

I don't loose my satellite signal in steady or minor rains. However, during heavy down pours I do loose my satellite signal for a few minutes untill it the rain lightens up. I have a 30 inch dish installed.

Hi Voomster,
We are in Santa Rosa, and we had problems with last night's storm as well. We just have the little ol' 18 inch Voom dish. We gave up trying to watch anything, but this doesn't happen often, and the 18 inch doesn't sound much worse than whatever size you have or the 30" that jimmykce1 talks about. We really only get problems during severe downpours (like last night). Otherwise, 94+ signal strength all the time.

I was thinking about requesting a larger dish. But if Voom is supposedly coming out with the large elliptical dish in the next few months.... :yes

I'm on the Central Coast and the first rain of the season my Voom went down. I called, and they approved and installed the 24" right away. I haven't had problems since, but we haven't had a driving storm. Pretty steady rain, the signal keeps coming in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts