Nobody is paying over $950 for the 921 on eBay

markusian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
I've been monitoring the 921 price on eBay. For "New in box" systems, prices ranged from $899 to $951. Seems like the prices are going down slowly.

Anyway, I've decided to wait for that 924 thing. Any news?

-Mark

I spoke to a exec CSR/rep today.
I asked him when they're coming out.
he said "not any time soon, we're still making 921's, so it won't be for a while"

Is that an admission that 921 production will stop before 942 starts (not that a statement like this from an exec means anything)?

My Opinion: They have ramped up the 921. Perhaps because the 942 is late (will not make Christmas). E* getting the 942 out for Christmas would be equivalent to our crash program to beat the Russians to the moon (a technological miracle).

E-Bay prices are bound to drop. That's ok. I'll be happy to get $750 if/when I get sufficiently fed up to just jump to a 550 Gig HD Tivo.

Is it 942 or 924?

What ever it is. If it is better than the 921 (proving that the 921 is a lemon) they better have a fair exchange program or there just me be a class action suit!

boy921 said:
What ever it is. If it is better than the 921 (proving that the 921 is a lemon) they better have a fair exchange program or there just me be a class action suit!
The new box is a 942. Apparently, 4 tuners (2 sat, 2 OTA) and 2 simultaneous outputs.

SimpleSimon said:
The new box is a 942. Apparently, 4 tuners (2 sat, 2 OTA) and 2 simultaneous outputs.

The outputs are supposed to be ONE HD & ONE SD; NOT 2 HD.

HD programming output on SD will be downconverted. Thus you could send out to a DVD burner.

I would be interested in knowing if the software is BETTER?? :D
Also, will the 8VSB OTA tuner software & chips be better than 921???

However, by the time it comes out, I bet D* will have a updated HD TIVO & Voom will have their HD DVR with interesting client/server aspects. The Voom DVR is supposed to allow pausing a DVR event at one location & then restarting same program where you left off in another location. This would be great for main room vs. bedroom vs. exercise area etc..

The 942 DOES NOT have two OTA antennas.

Search here on SatelliteGuys for the 942, we have the first and only hands on review of the 942. :)

David_Levin said:
snip...
My Opinion: They have ramped up the 921. Perhaps because the 942 is late (will not make Christmas). E* getting the 942 out for Christmas would be equivalent to our crash program to beat the Russians to the moon (a technological miracle).

snip...
I'm sure they can get the 942 out by Christmas. It may not be Christmas of 2004 but they can surely have it out by Christmas of 2005. Or maybe 2006... :rolleyes:

Then once the 942 is released it will take several months/years to get the software working correctly. :(

The 942 software is supposed to be based on the 522 software. You have seen all the comments/complaints about the sate of the 522 software, haven't you? :no

I looked at Ebay and they do have three for sale with at least a day before the close...price $950, shipping extra and RISK...to be determined!

jcord51 said:
I looked at Ebay and they do have three for sale with at least a day before the close...price $950, shipping extra and RISK...to be determined!
OK, why the hell would you pay that (assuming they are used, or even if they aren't with no return rights), when for $50 more you can have it NEW, with a 1 year warrenty?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)