node ?

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
are the nodes weather proof or should they be installed in a protective box shielding them from the weather? If so, where can these protective boxes be purchased?

As long as the fittings are properly torqued, it's supposed to be completely water tight... I'd make sure it's mounted up off the ground though, you wouldn't want it just laying there...

I have mine inside my cable distribution box on my house. It doesn't run into any of the cables lines in the distro box, but is a nice housing. Also make sure any empty ports are terminated on the node

My Duo Node has been mounted outside on the side of my house since the day the Hopper was out. I've only had one issues and that's due to the cold. The cold issue has been fixed with newer Nodes though, I just haven't swapped mine out yet.

Reactions: ChadT41
If you can put the sucker in doors than do it..otherwise a few extra bucks for a box from Lowes to close it in is a good buy. I've gone on service calls from water damage and trust me water will find a way no matter how tight the connections are or how many loops you have. I would normally find a way to mount them inside if I could but if it wasn't a bad spot and I needed a single line in I'd put it near the dish and just use a tap some where for joeys. Dish needs to go ahead and add these things into the LNB's and stop being stupid.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
If you can put the sucker in doors than do it..otherwise a few extra bucks for a box from Lowes to close it in is a good buy. I've gone on service calls from water damage and trust me water will find a way no matter how tight the connections are or how many loops you have. I would normally find a way to mount them inside if I could but if it wasn't a bad spot and I needed a single line in I'd put it near the dish and just use a tap some where for joeys. Dish needs to go ahead and add these things into the LNB's and stop being stupid.

Remember me talking about Dish coming out with a new outdoor unit at the end of the year, I have a feeling it will be something like that. As for having the unit outdoors, like I said, I haven't had any issues with mine and being in Iowa we get plenty of rain and other crappy weather. No matter what you're going to have connections outside. There are connections on the dish and ground block and even though you can have some water issues it's not a major issue.

That would be the easiest way to build it in the future. But they still haven't got everyone on western arc to convert to mpeg 4 receivers. Unless DISH wants to spend a lot of money to upgrade everyone to mpeg 4 receivers and to hopper/joey setups ,as well as upgrade everyone's lnbs, I don't see it happening for now.

I don't see where conversion has anything to do with it.

It's just a numbers game, going forward is it more economical to have a "dpx" LNB vs a dpp + node? No need to change any existing installs. A dpx LNB could easily be backward compatible, or they could choose to stock both dpp and dpx.

That would be the easiest way to build it in the future. But they still haven't got everyone on western arc to convert to mpeg 4 receivers. Unless DISH wants to spend a lot of money to upgrade everyone to mpeg 4 receivers and to hopper/joey setups ,as well as upgrade everyone's lnbs, I don't see it happening for now.

Converting customers will have nothing to do with it. This would only be for new installs and customers upgrading their equipment.

Like they did with the dp, and dpp, or even the two dishes, to one. There are some customers with the initial two dishes, because they never called in to get them upgraded.

I asked my installer if I had a choice where to put my duo node and he said sure, anywhere within reason I wanted it. I chose to take the 3 sat coax into an eve then down into a closet, then 3 receiver coax back up into the attic along with one through the wall to the receivers. Much easier to troubleshoot that way. I already had all the attic to receiver penetrations made with CAT5 in them, so we could tie a string onto the CAT5, pull it up, tape the coax to it, then pull it back down. I was very pleased with my installer's work and attitude. He did work for an independent dealer, though.

I don't mind buying the box, if I knew what size to get. It is also possible to place in the crawl space, but I don't want to drill any more holes into the foundation. I presently have 2 cables from the dish running into the house for the 2 722's. If I have enough slack in the cable, can the installer just cut the cables & insert it there or will different cables have to be run from the dish to the node?

A solo node will use two cables, a duo node will need three.

If placing the node inside, he can probably cut and re-terminate the cables to place the node in-line.

If it's outside, then there would need to be enough slack to accommodate the drip loops. If the node will be at the Dish, there could just be new, short cables between node and Dish, and the existing cables from the node to inside.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)