Nodes, HIC, taps & splitters in the attic?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Anyone here have any of these in a hot attic?

I have my coax home runs to the attic, just under the roof mounted dish. This is where the node, at a minimum, would go. Maybe 3-5 feet from the attic exhaust fan. Still, I'd say that attic gets up to at least 120 degrees. Is this a problem for any of these components?

I realized if I wanted to use a HIC I'd have to run a coax or Ethernet cable from my router in the laundry room to the node in the attic. Non-trivial since some wall cuts have been sealed. I suppose there's reason for the HIC to be in the laundry room rather than the attic.

Thoughts/experience?

I have splitters and diplexers and switches (dp34 and dpp33) and OTA antenna amps in my attic without issue for years.

HIC is probably the only question mark. Might not last as long due to the heat.

I'm assuming no ethernet near a hopper or joey rather than the laundry room?

HIC is probably the only question mark. Might not last as long due to the heat.

I'm assuming no ethernet near a hopper or joey rather than the laundry room?

Oh, I've got Ethernet drops to every possible location for a TV, Hopper or Joey.

I'm just about convinced that the HIC will simply work better.

I'll have to do some tracing. Maybe there's a drop I can repurpose.

My dual node is in the attic....it is warm to the touch...but still working

Good to know, as the node for me will pretty much HAVE to go there, or there'll be MAJOR rewiring.

May I assume that your attic gets VERY hot?

Oh, I've got Ethernet drops to every possible location for a TV, Hopper or Joey.

I'm just about convinced that the HIC will simply work better.
just stick the HIC behind the joey in passthrough and you're all set. That's all i did.

just stick the HIC behind the joey in passthrough and you're all set. That's all i did.

I'm hoping to not have a Joey, just two Hoppers.

Looking at the system job aid diagrams, pg 9 & 10, it does not show a HIC output. After some searching, I found the HIC has coax in, coax out and Ethernet. Would it work to connect coax from the node to the HIC and output that to the Hopper itself? And, of course, the Ethernet to the router.

I'm hoping to not have a Joey, just two Hoppers.

Looking at the system job aid diagrams, pg 9 & 10, it does not show a HIC output. After some searching, I found the HIC has coax in, coax out and Ethernet. Would it work to connect coax from the node to the HIC and output that to the Hopper itself? And, of course, the Ethernet to the router.

the HIC needs to be on the client side of a node or tap. For the HIC to be near a hopper, you'd have to put a tap first. A few people have done it that way on the forum.

You could even put the HIC in a room where there's currently no tv. It doesn't have to be near a hopper or joey. All you need is a client line coax and ethernet to be in the same spot anywhere in your home. Since you're saying you are very heavily wired throughout your home, i'll throw that out there as a possibility.

navychop said:
Good to know, as the node for me will pretty much HAVE to go there, or there'll be MAJOR rewiring.

May I assume that your attic gets VERY hot?

Yes....
I live in Texas, it has been around 100 degrees

the HIC needs to be on the client side of a node or tap. For the HIC to be near a hopper, you'd have to put a tap first. A few people have done it that way on the forum.

You could even put the HIC in a room where there's currently no tv. It doesn't have to be near a hopper or joey. All you need is a client line coax and ethernet to be in the same spot anywhere in your home. Since you're saying you are very heavily wired throughout your home, i'll throw that out there as a possibility.

Thank you. I'll look into that. Should I make the move, and I'm so inclined if they get OTA and manual timers from the STBs out, I want the installer to show up to a drawing of the current layout, and how I want it changed over, with everything labeled nicely and a walkway built in the attic for his (& my) convenience.

I've just lost track of where the extra cables are, so that'll be next.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts