Noggin 24/7?

soonerman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I'm sure this has been posted somewhere else, but I have a frustrated 2 year old missing a movie he had been looking forward to for several days.

Did E* decide not to broadcast Noggin 24/7? All of the other providers in my area have moved the N to a seperate channel so Noggin is 24/7. If so, what are they going to to with Nick GAS that is being dropped to broadband in the near future? And why won't they broadcase Noggin 24/7?

Thanks for any information you all may have.

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere else, but I have a frustrated 2 year old missing a movie he had been looking forward to for several days.

Did E* decide not to broadcast Noggin 24/7? All of the other providers in my area have moved the N to a seperate channel so Noggin is 24/7. If so, what are they going to to with Nick GAS that is being dropped to broadband in the near future? And why won't they broadcase Noggin 24/7?

Thanks for any information you all may have.

It's supposed to start tomorrow, as far as I know.

When companies split(spin off ,merge etc) They have to go through a "quiet period" where no transactions can occur. I wonder if that is what is going on.or MORE LIKELY charlie is giving Viacom Heck by not permitting them to alter their contract for 2 part time channels (I think something like this happened with romance classics) In other words ITS TIME FOR HIS ANNUAL PROGRAMMING DISPUTE!!! or The uplink guy is on vacation

Yeah, I have a highly disappointed toddler right now too.

I've had DISH for several years, and feel they have the superior home entertainment product for many different reasons, but if they end up in a dispute over Noggin, I will disappear to D* very quickly.

Dish will at this point continue to split 169 for Noggin and The N. From what I have read elsewhere on this forum, the switch today was a little rough. Since they will manually switch the signal every night, I would forsee that it would continue to be the case. D* is looking more tempting, but AT&T Uverse is around the corner for me if it becomes a dispute.

Unfortunately, we have already started shopping around with Directv and Cox Cable. The problem is that they are starting to offer as good of a value and in some cases better. Not having Noggin 24/7 is certainly not a dealbreaker. But, this combined with the other seemingly empty promises of what's to come is making it harder not to consider switching. :(

Personally, I don't care which party is to blame. The end result is inexcusable. I read about the Noggin transition and the 24/7 kick off many weeks ago. Both parties should have been prepared. The result at my house is a very disappointed pre-schooler.

I've been a Dish Network subscriber for over 9 years. I think Charlie and Jim were actually sitting at a card table during the first Charlie Chat I watched. I've been through virtually every programming dispute. I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but this one would be quite simple for me. No Dora = No Dish.

I can't get a straight answer from Dish Network at all. They have told me everything under the sun and then tried to convince me that no carrier was broadcasting Noggin this late at night even though my son and I watched it on Cox Cable not even two hours ago. I am getting the impression this is another one of Dish Networks tactics and they are trying to blame everyone but themselves for not making the switch happen.

Ok, I somewhat understand HD bandwidth problems and delayed Satellite launches, but Noggin/N, Nick GAS made their own room for this channel. The Networks made it easy for Dish to absorb this new SD channel. You should have heard the scream @ 4:09PM at my house in the middle of the Franklin movie. I can deal with some HD "delays" but my kid won't understand why Moose A. Moose is lying to him about shows being on tonight and they aren't because some people at Dish have decided that no real programming should change since the NLCS.

I posted this on The N thread also, but here is a write up on all of this mess per wikipedia.

Problems with the switch

Due to technical difficulties during the switchover to The N, Nick GAS was put back on the air for Dish Network subscribers until the problem can be resolved. When the switch was supposed to happen, subscribers to Dish Network received nothing but a black screen for a few hours, The N currently taking over Noggin at the same time every night; Nick GAS has since then been put back on-air. This was possible since the channel and its programs will be moving to the TurboNick broadband channel in the near future and because Nick GAS's consistent programming schedule was automated. DirecTV also suffered from the glitch until 7:25 AM Eastern/6:25 AM Central. Most digital cable viewers saw no problems with the transfer from Nick GAS to The N. Time Warner Cable of Manhattan is currently not carrying The N on their digital cable lineup. They have removed channel 137 from their system, this was the channel that they used to carry Nick GAS. The transition from Nick GAS to The N went smoothly on this channel, but it has since been removed altogether. According to many Dish Network technicians, they have said that the N isn't expected to switch over unto Nick GAS's channel until at no earlier than January 31, 2008. This has been confirmed by The N's Online Message Board.

I just called about a technical problem ( hdmi w/622), I also asked about Noggin/n. Dish said that Nick GAS was not going away and that Dish customers would not be impacted by the changes with Noggin/n. I expressed that I was looking forward to the change and would have wanted this to impact my programming. She said that she was sorry. I do not think it is coming, I do not think dish has a clue anymore as to who its customers are and what they want.

calling "Dish"

you know, when ever you call in to the call center you get a person..

like myself.

who knows just as much as YOU DO about the channel changes. customers call in, and yell at us, because we cant fix it. Well, you can go to our website, and basically see what i see when you call in.

I come to this site to find out MORE about dish.

reasoning for this reply is simple.

dont take it out on the people who answer the phone calls, it truly is not their fault that the engineers cant get their act together..

As far as the person who said they are gonna go to ATT U-verse... GO FOR IT! I did, for the simple fact i have NLOS...but it is great! and rumor has it that come later this year...the one dvr you already get is going be able to be accessed by all the tvs in your home, pretty darn sweet i think.

Maybe i should work for them lol.

-Disgruntled employee.

For what it is worth, I was very polite to the lady at Dish. I just asked a simple programing question. She politely answered it. She said that Dish subscribers would not be "incovenienced" by the changes made by Noggin/N. I expressed that I would have liked to been inconvenienced by having both channels, but oh well. I did not threaten to leave or switch services. I treated her with respect as I would like to be treated as an employee at a large company also. I know how it is to be berated for decisions made by people so many levels above you that you could never influence it. I took nothing out on the nice csr that helped me, my comment was that the people that make programming decisions for Dish have lost touch with the simple things( such as who there customers are). I had no problem with the CSR, I know she would not have been disgruntled due to my call.

Customer with disgruntled 5 and 2 year olds

Dish/Noggin Debaucle

Here's what I don't get....

CBS announced the Noggin/N channel split last August. That gave all providers 4 1/2 months to prepare for the switch. They couldn't figure out how to split these channels in 4 1/2 months?

I guess I don't understand what the big deal is about routing a program feed to a channel. Why is it that Dish has no problem routing Nick GAS to 177, but they can't route The N to that same channel? We use routing panels at my work all the time - route souce A to destination B....that's it. Perhaps I don't understand what difficulty they're having getting a program feed to a destinaiton channel. Hopefully, they figure this out soon. I hoped they would have had it figured out long before 12/31.