Nokia and Microsoft to cozy up?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
This rumor is getting too persistent to ignore.
Nokia, Microsoft announcing partnership next week, possibly involving Windows Phone 7? -- Engadget

Would be interesting to see this develop but hard to ignore the risks
So, here's the question: can Nokia become another Samsung, LG, or HTC, betting its hopes and dreams on its chops as a hardware manufacturer alone? Historically, Nokia has been defined as much (if not more) by its platforms than by its hardware, which lacks Samsung's capability for end-to-end in-house sourcing.
Diogen.

Tying themselves to MS is like tying on a rock and jumping overboard.

It will take one heck of an ad campaign to re-educate the public that iphone and Android phones aren't the best of breed now that Microsoft is back. I think I'll stick with Google and Apple. Latest report is that we will know what is happening by Friday.

It looks very likely there will be a deal between those two
Nokia Considers Adopting Microsoft Phone Platforms - WSJ.com
Probably not exclusive but as a replacement for the middle to higher end for Nokia handsets (I really hope they don't kill MeeGo outright).

This could be the first step in reduction of number of players in the smartphone OS market.
If RIM announces support for Dalvik (Google Java VM; reason for Oracle lawsuit), there will be essentially 3 players left:
Android, iOS and WP7. Will have to wait for summer to see what webOS' chances are to become the fourth player.

Also of interest is the avalanche of new rumors about Apple strategy: from a smaller iPad 3 to new smaller and cheaper iPhones as well as SIM-less world phones.
If anything, this looks (to me) like some analysts don't expect Jobs back any time soon.

Diogen.

Yeah this is big since Nokia is the largest cell manufacturer out there. I really like HTC stuff and waiting for the new Windows 7 Phones to get on Sprint with like the HTC Pro 7. But in the past I use to use only Nokia phones have not used one in years so maybe now it will be interesting to see what they come out with..

Read more here..

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-adopt-windows-phone-7-os-it-s-official

Video

http://gizmodo.com/#!5757776/video-watch-nokias-entire-windows-phone-announcement

As expected: broad agreement, phasing out Symbian and Qt tools, Office and Bing, etc.
Microsoft even agreed to let them change in WP7 anything they want!
Nokia will be able to customize 'everything' in Windows Phone 7, but likely won't -- Engadget

MeeGo, just like Honeycomb, is declared to be a tablet OS. Yes!

Diogen.

Yeah I think with Windows 8 will have more tablet features but Win 7 runs well on one and since it's Windows things will run on it and more choices to choose from. I plan on getting the Exopc their out of stock right now.

Apple made a fortune by proving a point that consumer and business markets are different.
Only time will show whether MS' expertise in selling to the business market - e.g. in tools, SDK - has any weight in gadget-land...

I'd give this duo a 50-50 chance to succeed. And I think NOT doing it would be worse for both players.

Diogen.

Apple made a fortune by proving a point that consumer and business markets are different.
Only time will show whether MS' expertise in selling to the business market - e.g. in tools, SDK - has any weight in gadget-land...

I'd give this duo a 50-50 chance to succeed. And I think NOT doing it would be worse for both players.

Diogen.

Yeah when it's all said and done Windows 7 & 8 Phones and Android Devices will lead the market which Android from what I read last is already doing that. Now that the big dog on the porch Microsoft is getting more serious about the Mobile platform the sky the limit for them and manufactures are seeing that now so their getting on board... Apple is still just that they will always be limited but will have a customer base to support them but they will never be in the same league with the big boys..

Diogen.

Agreed, I think MS would have to be out of the MOS business had they not made this deal but I don't think Nokia would. They still have a very large base worldwide but a dwindling market share.

The violins are playing for the ap developers who will now be tasked to write aps for 3 OS. They were complaining about having to develop for two when Android first hit.

Personally, I have favored Win Mobile OS and use it today, but I had planned on moving to either iphone 5 or the Android du jour in mid summer. Now I may want to take a second look at win mobile again.

Apple is still just that they will always be limited but will have a customer base to support them but they will never be in the same league with the big boys..
You need to at least admit facts: Apple created this league.
And made more $$$ playing in it than most of the players ever will...

The problem with Apple as I see it is Jobs' sainthood.
I don't think Jobs knows what people want. He makes them want what he creates.
A subtle difference but worlds apart: the first skill can be taught, the second - can't.
And all the Cooks around him inherited only Jobs' arrogance.

I think this will play out just like the Dell-Rollins handover.
With one difference: Jobs is not coming back...

Diogen.

Go ahead and microslice the difference if you want but in the bigger picture, Jobs put Apple on the map with his formula for success. Whether Jobs returns is unknown but what is certain, he eventually will not outlast the company. When that day comes, it will indeed be a game changer and those of us who have benefited from Job's formula for success will just need to change our game as well.

After the new agreement between MS and Nokia settled, many now believe that this will benefit MS far more than Nokia. So why Microsoft and not Android? I heard that the man behind the Nokia plan to go with MS used to work for MS. Anyone care to verify that rumor? Investors aren't happy with the plan either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)