Non-sports package

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
I wish Dish would come out with a channel package that had all of the great cable channels, like AMC, TNT, FX, BBCA, etc. without any sports channels. My wife and I simply do not watch them, and they are the most expensive channels out there. Verizon is offering this on FiOS, which of course I cannot get. I'd be much less likely to switch away from Dish if they offered something like this. Am I alone in thinking this?

Last edited:
I wish Dish would come out with a channel package that had all of the great cable channels, like AMC, TNT, FX, BBCA, etc. without any sports channels. My wife and I simply do not watch them, and they are the most expensive channels out there. Verizon is offering this on FiOS, which of course I cannot get. I'd be much less switch away from Dish if they offered something like this. Am I alone in thinking this?

This is more of a question as to why the networks won't let Dish offer a package like you want. Technically they do offer a package without sports, it's the Smart Pack and it doesn't have many decent channels.

You are not alone on this. You can search this website and find numerous threads bringing up this topic and beating the dead horse to a pulp.

We appreciate your feedback! Certain channels are placed into certain packages depending on the agreement we have with the owner of the station. I would be happy to pass your feedback along to our programming department. Thank you!

I think it's the same same reason, fans cannot get a non news/non kids channel package. Sherman pretty much nailed it.

This is more of a question as to why the networks won't let Dish offer a package like you want. Technically they do offer a package without sports, it's the Smart Pack and it doesn't have many decent channels.

You are not alone on this. You can search this website and find numerous threads bringing up this topic and beating the dead horse to a pulp.

Nice to know I am not alone. Now, I have the Welcome Pack now and watch streaming services for the other shows we want to see, but I'd really much rather just have an AT 200 minus any sports channels for $15 less or whatever the savings would be, and watch the shows as they come on with my awesome Hopper. It is annoying to have to switch to another device to watch Netflix and even more annoying to pay (a lot) for ESPN/FOX/NBC sports channels which will never get tuned in my house.

I think it's the same same reason, fans cannot get a non news/non kids channel package. Sherman pretty much nailed it.

At least sports fans are not paying the same premium non-sports fans are paying for stuff they are not watching. News and Kids channels are cheap because the do not target the same retail demographic as sports which the data says is the most valuable.

I think looking at sports is going to be alil subjective there. Yes, ESPN is the most expensive. However, Disney costs more then fox sports 1.

The present way of bundling that is done by sat/cable companies ,is done because the subs help subsidize the total cost of the channels . They spread their costs among all subs who subscribe to top 120 through AEP. Those who hate sports help subsidize those who love sports and vice a versa. You can't get around it except for taking the Welcome pack and it is in SD ,except for locals and any FREE VIEW channels for that month. This model is dieing . The companies know that it won't survive because of internet companies like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc. The future will be by program , not channels anyway. You watch what you want to watch ,when you want to , for a price on your tv, phone, computer, laptop etc. That is why DISH is coming out with a streamlined version of their service by years end, for over the internet for like $30.00 . It will be called NuTv.

At least sports fans are not paying the same premium non-sports fans are paying for stuff they are not watching. News and Kids channels are cheap because the do not target the same retail demographic as sports which the data says is the most valuable.

The way I look it is like this, there are a lot more non-sports channels than sports channels. The cost of all those non-sports channels is equal to or more than the few number of sports channels so it's a wash when you are comparing them. I basically watch all sports channels and TBS so I could do without the hundreds of other channels that cost me more than the sports channels do.

No matter how you look at it people are paying for channels we do not want to watch but there is no way to give everyone the variety they want for an decent price. You need to keep in mind the person that can't spend a lot of money but still wants popular channels and some sports. They need a package like the AT120.

The best option I have heard of so far is to offer both the current packages we get now along with an option for just a la carte. You would get fewer channels for the amount of money you're spending but at least you would have an overall lower bill. Also, be prepared for a lot of niche channels to disappear once they run out of money because not enough people subscribe to them.

I wish Dish would come out with a channel package that had all of the great cable channels, like AMC, TNT, FX, BBCA, etc. without any sports channels. My wife and I simply do not watch them, and they are the most expensive channels out there. Verizon is offering this on FiOS, which of course I cannot get. I'd be much less likely to switch away from Dish if they offered something like this. Am I alone in thinking this?
Alone? Probably not. Although my father in law will watch NASCAR races once in a while, but for the most part, could not care less about sports. .
SO yes, I would not be going out on a limb vy guessing that there are many who would be just fine without a sports service attached to their pay tv subscription..
Which brings back the argument for a la carte availability.

Based on what folks are saying here, it sounds like OTA and Streaming here I come as I don't plan to move to a FiOS market.

And move you must. It is my understanding that Verizon has stopped FiOS expansion into new markets.

After promising FiOS for years in my market, they sold us to Frontier. Google Fiber may arrive some day, but I am not holding my breath.

The best option I have heard of so far is to offer both the current packages we get now along with an option for just a la carte. You would get fewer channels for the amount of money you're spending but at least you would have an overall lower bill. Also, be prepared for a lot of niche channels to disappear once they run out of money because not enough people subscribe to them.
Ahh, free market commerce the way it should be. The content owners would never allow it, however. :(

Reactions: ChadT41
What niche channels? The niche channels are owned by the big companies.
Yes, but if the big companies weren't able (allowed) to extort (force) the niche channel carriage (usually at ballooned rates) with their other more popular channels, then the niche channels could actually be subject to supply and demand and some would wither and die.

These are controlled by contract - and Dish has some low end packages with this.

But here is the deal - I don't like paying for lots of the garbage either - but we must because that is the way it works. You want TNT, well then you will also get TBS and CNN channels as well as others. What FX, then Fox is going to demand the provider take FS1, FS2, Fox News, and so forth.

This is a Congress issue. It should be illegal to force these things, but its not.

Yes, but if the big companies weren't able (allowed) to extort (force) the niche channel carriage (usually at ballooned rates) with their other more popular channels, then the niche channels could actually be subject to supply and demand and some would wither and die.

This is exactly my point. If customers got their way and a true a la carte system was offered then those "niche" channels would go away regardless of who owns them. With the few amount of people that watch those stations they would have to charge the customer more money in order make a profit, even more than what ESPN is charging. For instance, if you wanted to watch Rural TV you'd have to shell out close to $10 a month for it just so they can make enough money to keep it up and running.

This is exactly my point. If customers got their way and a true a la carte system was offered then those "niche" channels would go away regardless of who owns them.
So channels like HBO, Starz, Showtime wouldn't exist?
With the few amount of people that watch those stations they would have to charge the customer more money in order make a profit, even more than what ESPN is charging.
Wouldn't this make some channel providers try to make certain the channel would then be on as many stations as possible and make up for the difference via ad revenue?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)