Noob alert - time to buy real equipment.

No laughing at the sloppiness or my precision tools ;)

Got the wall panel wired up, but wanted to test it before I closed it up, and ran into my first snag - the ceiling mounts I got don't have a small enough screw for the keyhole style speakers (seen in on of the pictures below. Hopefully my new ones will be fine, otherwise I'll have to dig through Lowes to find the right fit or something.

Attachments

• IMG00115-20100122-1501.jpg
    IMG00115-20100122-1501.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG00118-20100122-1532.jpg
    IMG00118-20100122-1532.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG00119-20100122-1622.jpg
    IMG00119-20100122-1622.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 216
I see a potential problem though, could my receiver not have the proper outs to support 'modern' subs? My receiver has a single RCA-style jack for the sub, and looking at the back of this it's looking for more than that, or do i just buy an adapter and split that output and put it into the line in until I get a more competent receiver?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-3181-Value-Y-Cable/dp/B0002J1LF2"]Amazon.com: Cables To Go 03181 Value Series RCA Stereo Female to Two RCA Mono Male Y-Cable (6 Inch) Black: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21mlyEcshAL.@@AMEPARAM@@21mlyEcshAL[/ame]

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

I see a potential problem though, could my receiver not have the proper outs to support 'modern' subs? My receiver has a single RCA-style jack for the sub, and looking at the back of this it's looking for more than that, or do i just buy an adapter and split that output and put it into the line in until I get a more competent receiver?

I suppose it may depend on the sub. The manual on my Velodyne states that a mono sub output can be connected to the left RCA jack, or stereo outputs can be connected to both. I have tried a Y adaptor and just connecting to the left and detect no difference.

I'd say just connect the mono out to one of the connections. If you don't have a manual, just pick one. Then pick the other one and see if there is a difference. If so, you might try a y cable.

[EE Geek talk:] I expect no difference because the inputs are most likely joined in a balanced balun configuration that would mix the two signals without changing impedance before hitting the amplifier. Splitting them will initially half the input power of each and joining them together should simply rebuild the single signal at the balun output. It might eliminate some small amount of radiated noise that would come in from the unterminated jack, but I kind of doubt it. [/EE Geek talk:]

annoyed, none of the screws that came with my ceiling mount will screw into my speaker, and the keyhole is too small for that method of hanging as well. The AM20s even say they come with 1/4 20 screws for speakers that need it, and the manual for the speakers say that's what it takes.

I have one speaker up, but am not getting audio out of it yet. Troubleshooting it in a bit and will report back and maybe have some pictures too.

Used the keyhole slot, just instead of putting it in and moving the screw up, i unscrewed the entire bracket for the keyhole, and put it back on. Probably the way it was supposed to go from the beginning.

Up and done, and sounds good. Really need to get a new receiver though, one or two of the speaker wires are just barely staying in because it wont clamp down on them very well... thing is old.

Also misplaced my optical cable in the move... running a 5.1 receiver fed with just a composite cable is kinda sad :p

Took some pics of the rear speakers to upload here and at amazon so people see how I used the mounts. Will have those up later.

Only thin really left to do now is maybe get some black electrical tape and wrap the yellow cables (that have some of the ceiling texture spray on them... and also they are yellow :p) and at some point get a real receiver.

May mount the TV and redo the entire media nook area... but that'll be a bigger project for later probably.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)