Noob alert - time to buy real equipment.

bleh, probably going to end up just getting a nice-ish HTIB, as now im suddenly entertaining for new years eve, won't have time to have stuff shipped and stuff. Too many of these have similar specs and have a DVD or Blu-Ray player included, which is unnecessary and sometimes inflating the price more than they need to be. Annoying.

So wife unearenthed our hand me down receiver I got from a coworker, how awful is this thing?

JVC RX 6018V - Receivers - Shopping.com

Well, it will decode dolby digital. That is a big step in the right direction. Just hook it directly from the BD player and/or sat receiver. Don't bother with the video switching as it doesn't have HDMI, component or even S-video inputs, so you are better off switching at the TV.

Don't try to run optical outputs from the TV to the receiver without checking if the TV will pass rear channel information. Most won't.

But what the heck, it is free and it is likely a lot better than what you are seeing now. Definitely worth experimenting.

Yeah, that's what I am starting with, I had it hooked up at our last place, and it was buried in the garage as a result of the move. I was hoping I'd never have to see the thing again and buy new stuff, but won't be the case for now.

Probably going to buy speakers though before it goes up. I have JVC Speakers and a sub that I assume were all part of a package with that receiver a number of years ago when it was new. Many of the clips on the backs of the speakers are brittle and old though, they broke during the move just popping the wire out of them to unplug them.

Need to figure out also how to mount them. We're pre-wired, and behind the plastic covers in the ceiling is just a box with wires in it. Am I supposed to mount a speaker bracket to the plastic covers that are there currently?

Yeah, that's what I am starting with, I had it hooked up at our last place, and it was buried in the garage as a result of the move. I was hoping I'd never have to see the thing again and buy new stuff, but won't be the case for now.

Probably going to buy speakers though before it goes up. I have JVC Speakers and a sub that I assume were all part of a package with that receiver a number of years ago when it was new. Many of the clips on the backs of the speakers are brittle and old though, they broke during the move just popping the wire out of them to unplug them.

Need to figure out also how to mount them. We're pre-wired, and behind the plastic covers in the ceiling is just a box with wires in it. Am I supposed to mount a speaker bracket to the plastic covers that are there currently?

NO! Mount the speakers to the box, not the cover to the box. Is the box a regular electric box or something different?

It's a regular electric box as far as I know, 2 screws on either end of it So i need a mount that acts as both a cover and not just a mount then, right?

Looks like I haven't been calling it a bracket, which is why Google/Amazon has been failing me - like this? http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-Wall...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262800813&sr=8-16

Do I need to get certain speakers too, or will those work with Amazon.com: Klipsch Synergy Quintet III Home Theater Speaker System (Set of Five, Black): Vanns@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TV9nsa3hL.@@AMEPARAM@@31TV9nsa3hL

Or can anyone recommend any other speaker brackets?

I am probably going to start with new speakers, use the JVC sub I have, and then upgrade the other parts from there.

Looks like I'll also need to get a panel for the prewired box that is at the wall in the TV, so get to figure out bananaplugs and stuff :) Something like this? Amazon.com: GLS Audio 8 Posts Binding/Banana Wall Plate White (for?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Lp5uCn6UL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Lp5uCn6UL

Sorry, really am a noob.

It's a regular electric box as far as I know, 2 screws on either end of it So i need a mount that acts as both a cover and not just a mount then, right?

Looks like I haven't been calling it a bracket, which is why Google/Amazon has been failing me - like this? Amazon.com: Pinpoint AM20 Wall- and ceiling-mount speaker bracket Black: Electronics

Do I need to get certain speakers too, or will those work with Amazon.com: Klipsch Synergy Quintet III Home Theater Speaker System (Set of Five, Black): Vanns

Or can anyone recommend any other speaker brackets?

I am probably going to start with new speakers, use the JVC sub I have, and then upgrade the other parts from there.

Looks like I'll also need to get a panel for the prewired box that is at the wall in the TV, so get to figure out bananaplugs and stuff :) Something like this? Amazon.com: GLS Audio 8 Posts Binding/Banana Wall Plate White (for 4 Speakers): Electronics

Sorry, really am a noob.

No problem being new at something, it's fun learning, no matter how experienced you are. The brackets you linked to are nice and should work very well, so should the speakers. The wall plate will make for a neat, clean installation. You are on the right track! Make sure to post back and let us know how everything works out. Remember one important thing, WE LOVE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!! :)

I've ordered my wall thingy - Amazon.com: GLS Audio 8 Posts Binding/Banana Wall Plate White (for?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Lp5uCn6UL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Lp5uCn6UL

And 2 of the brackets to mount the speakers on the box in the ceiling -http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-Wall-ceiling-mount-speaker-bracket/dp/B0015R7EEM/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262800813&sr=8-16

Going to set up 3.1 with the speakers I have, learn what im doing before spending more money on speakers, then get a receiver, then maybe a sub, in that order. Will take before/after pics with my first step, then for my birthday in a couple weeks probably buy my speakers and the other two ceiling mounts for 5.1.

I've ordered my wall thingy - Amazon.com: GLS Audio 8 Posts Binding/Banana Wall Plate White (for 4 Speakers): Electronics

And 2 of the brackets to mount the speakers on the box in the ceiling -http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-Wall-ceiling-mount-speaker-bracket/dp/B0015R7EEM/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262800813&sr=8-16

Going to set up 3.1 with the speakers I have, learn what im doing before spending more money on speakers, then get a receiver, then maybe a sub, in that order. Will take before/after pics with my first step, then for my birthday in a couple weeks probably buy my speakers and the other two ceiling mounts for 5.1.

Good stuff! Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

So I have a concern. I read a lot of setup how-to's saying that the front surround speakers should all be at about ear level, and the rear speakers should be a few feet above (ideally).

Well if I put my speakers where the boxes are at in the ceiling, all 4 surround speakers are going to be 8 feet off the ground or so. My center will sit on a shelf right below my TV, probably about chest level to someone sitting and watching TV. Am I overthinking it, or don't worry about it?

Probably get some pics up this weekend before/after my first step.

So I have a concern. I read a lot of setup how-to's saying that the front surround speakers should all be at about ear level, and the rear speakers should be a few feet above (ideally).

Well if I put my speakers where the boxes are at in the ceiling, all 4 surround speakers are going to be 8 feet off the ground or so. My center will sit on a shelf right below my TV, probably about chest level to someone sitting and watching TV. Am I overthinking it, or don't worry about it?

Probably get some pics up this weekend before/after my first step.

When you say "all 4 surround", do you mean the surrounds and the front main speakers? If that is the case, you will notice a significant dip in the soundstage when something pans across the left-center-right. If the front mains need to be high, it would be better to place the center speaker above the TV if possible.

Well I was planning on 5.1, not 7.1, so I'd have 4 speakers (2 front, 2 back) on the ceiling where the prewiring is, and then the center in front of the TV like we had at our old house which worked well in a slightly smaller non-tile room, which makes a difference im sure. I'll take a couple pictures tonight/tomorrow and post them, I wonder if I'd be better off getting a couple of standing speakers for the front two? From diagrams I've seen though the location of the front 2 surround speakers is way too forward for 7.1 though.

You'd recommend I at least get a bracket and put the speaker on the wall behind the TV though right (yellow on attached professional-quality sketch)? My concern there is it would need to be well above the viewers head or most of the sound is going to just hit the back of the TV in the media nook thing and cause other undesired effects. The TV could be moved back a little on it's stand, but it's still got a foot+ of clearance.

I could explore mounting it on the wall if I got a receiver with the appropriate connections and was able to eliminate so much going to the TV. In a month or two we'll have our homeowners stimulus thingy... I could probably even swing buying a newer HDMI 360 so that the VGA one can be moved elsewhere.

Anyways, I'm still learning, as soon as this weekend I'll have a center and the L/R speakers connected to what you see in the diagram. The sub is sitting in the bottom of the component box, forgot to add it.

Attachments

• stevo_home_1.png
    stevo_home_1.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 200
Here's my actual living room, though now that I look at it I could have cleaned a little before my photo ;)

Note how far off to the right the front right spot is. Center will go where a stack of 360 games currently sits, or in front of the TV on the lip there if it wont obstruct/look ugly sitting there.

Depending on how things go this weekend with getting 3 speakers and the sub setup, it could lead me to rethinking the whole media nook area and mounting the TV on the wall and have the components below it or something.

Attachments

• stevo_lr_1.jpg
    stevo_lr_1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
If I was doing it, I would not use the ceiling mounts for the front, but would place them to the sides of the screen. It looks like you have room to place them on top of the media rack and to the right of the screen.

I'll let others weigh in on this, but IMHO, you would be happier by going lower.

That wouldn't be hard to do, I already have stands I used for my rear speakers in my last house (around here... somewhere.... still unpacking...).

Would also solve the problem of the right front speaker being way off to the right.

So I finally opened the prewired wall thingy behind the TV, and there are the 4 yellow cables that serve as conduit basically for the prewired speaker slots in the ceiling, but there's also a gray cable with like 5 colors wires in it. I don't even see any other place this comes out, kinda odd. Guess it could be a phone wire? But then I'd need to create another jack if I were to use it, no matter what it is.

Just odd and didnt expect to see it.

So I finally opened the prewired wall thingy behind the TV, and there are the 4 yellow cables that serve as conduit basically for the prewired speaker slots in the ceiling, but there's also a gray cable with like 5 colors wires in it. I don't even see any other place this comes out, kinda odd. Guess it could be a phone wire? But then I'd need to create another jack if I were to use it, no matter what it is.

Older phone lines are usually solid red, green, yellow and black, IIRC. Newer lines are striped. I have no idea what four yellows and a gray could be. What gauge wire is it? Is it like phone wire or more like speaker wire?

Older phone lines are usually solid red, green, yellow and black, IIRC. Newer lines are striped. I have no idea what four yellows and a gray could be. What gauge wire is it? Is it like phone wire or more like speaker wire?

No, he said the odd one had 5 colored wires. 4 wires would be phone, as Raoul said. 4 twisted pairs or 8 wires for the typical RJ-45 data line. 5 wires could be an RS-232 run, or it could be phone with a shield.

Welp... impulse purchase... saw a deal and had the cash, so figured why not. If I don't like the speakers they'll go in the bedroom or something... and check Frys to see if I can try out the Quintets before I order those instead.

Newegg.com - Klipsch SW-350 Subwoofer Single

Newegg.com - Energy Take 5 Pack 5CH Home Theater Speaker System

For the price of just the sub.

Next weekend it will all be installed, even if it takes me all day to do it. Will post pics and stuff. Going to put the 2 front speakers on stands on either side of the media nook, and the rear two in the ceiling where the prewiring is at. Center will sit on the shelf with the TV for now until we reorganize everything there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)