Noob: Does this configuration make sense?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DocPit

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Midwest
I mentioned in an earlier post that we're moving to a new home. We would like to set up our TV service so that we could view live TV (OTA or satellite) or movies on our TVs or on our laptops.

Also, we would like to maximize the mobility of our “viewing stations” (TVs or laptops). For example, we would like to be able to set up a laptop in any room; so our granddaughters could watch one show, and set up a second laptop in any other room, so our grandsons could watch another show. And we would like to be able to do that without the need for the room to be wired with coax. Ideally, we would like to be able to pick-up a signal on a laptop wirelessly or from a PLC adapter. (Would a TV tuner be another option?)

From the research we've done so far, it seems like Dish Network's ViP722k with an MT2 module and a Sling Adapter provides the greatest flexibility. However, I'm still uncertain whether I have an accurate understanding as to what capabilities are available when the 722k is combined with, say, an internet-ready TV, a “regular” (non internet-ready) TV, or a laptop.

I would very much appreciate it if someone could comment on whether the configuration described below would enable the capabilities we are looking for.

Configuration:

1) Set up Dish Network's ViP722k with an MT2 module and a Sling Adapter.

• Connect 722k to Sharp Aquos internet ready TV1 with an HDMI cable.
    • Connect 722k to broadband router with an RJ45.
      • Could the 722k be connected to a broadband router in another room using a PLC adapter?
      • Is there any way to create a wireless connection between the 722k and a broadband router in another room?

2) Connect a second digital cable-ready TV2 to the in-home cable system.

3) Connect any laptop to the internet using an RJ45, a PLC, or a wireless connection. Then login to DISH.com/Remote Access

Capabilities:

• Simultaneously record channels from four sources, e.g., two TVs and two laptops.
    • Simultaneously view live OTA or live satellite or recorded content on two devices (e.g., one TV in HD and one laptop in SD)

Does that sound right? We would like to be sure we understand how things work before we shop for "packages." I never trust sales reps to give me accurate information.

Can someone that is using the wi-fi adapter with a 722k tell me how long it takes to download a one hour program in standard definition. Also how long in hi-def. I am using a Comcast high speed connection. What is the best router for this setup. Thanks for the help.
Dish has a wi-fi adapter for the 722k if you prefer to have a wireless connection.

You don't download. With the wifi adapter and the sling adapter, you stream. If you have software that can capture the stream (if it exists), it's a 1 to 1. 1 hour equals 1 hour.

A 722k and sling adapter allows you to stream from one of the TV1 or tv2 outputs. Not both at the same time. So either grandson or grand-daughter. If you get a 722k with an OTA adapter. you will be able to record 2 sat and 2 OTA programs at once total 4. At the same time you can access a recorded program. Slingadapter is nice but a Slingbox may work better with the laptops. Works a little more like a TV in another room. As long as you have a internet connection. You asked alot of questions hard to get them all in one reply I am sure more will add as the day goes on. BTW the OTA mod is extra about 30.00? At time of install. But well worth it to me. I have the 722k and slingbox and adapter both work well for me. Fell free to follow up with questions. Peace

Doc,

It would be great if that config worked, but the sling isn't that flexible. It allows you to watch TV2 on one remote device at a time. That's about it.

So, to answer your other questions:
1) any wireless bridge or gaming adapter will work to connect the 722 to your network wirelessly
2) yes, but it's analog and SD only
3) yes, but only one at a time. And while you're watching the sling, TV2 is disabled in the rest of the house

As budda said, you can set timers from another tv or laptop via dishonline, but all recordings take place on your 722.

You can view live sat, ota and recordings on a tv and laptop at the same time. Inside your home, the laptop can stream HD.

I have yet to see an internet-ready tv that would be able to view sling content via dishonline.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)