Noob has questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

briansanders007

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
ok I have been around FTA for a while, setup my system and all that fun stuff with a KU band. However, I have a couple questions. We moved into an area with great OTA reception so I want to ditch Directv finally however my son can't live with out Noggin so I want to pick up a package from some place like WebForm2.
I assume I need some type of cband or KU receiver that can get a card so I can pay and have it authorized? I'm new with cband stuff. I don't have any equipment other than my 36" fortec dish and a fortec star receiver for that. Would I need a 4DTV bo:mad:any box work that says it works with 4DTV)? Is that cband or can I use my ku lnb and dish? Sorry I really new at this type of stuff. I think I will just buy the channels I need and than combine them with my OTA so I can provide the channels the family watches. I'm just not sure what cband stuff to get.

Absolute minimum for C-Band will be 6 foot. You'd be better with 8 or 10'.
There are some exceptions with a lot of patience and work...
You should be able to nab a 8 or 10' aluminum mesh dish just for the taking. Most folks just 'want it gone'.
If you don't have a 4DTV receiver, you *may* want to check out SkyVision's W5 deal - it's a single bird subscription so you don't have to worry with a dish mover. They have a decent price on the receiver with that package.
If you want to go all-in, you'll want to locate a 922 receiver... and add 2 or 3 BUD's... but that's another story...
Also, be warned of the 4D Li battery woes - just search the C-Band forum for '4DTV battery' and you'll get the full spill...

thanks for the reply! I will start shopping for a dish in my neighborhood!

After looking at Skyvision it says no need to upgrade to KUBand. Well I already have a ku dish\lnb with my FTA setup. Is it possible to buy a subscription receiver (with a card) and buy programming with that? Basically like the cband packages but for ku?

If I understand correctly your looking for KU programming and from what I've heard there very little KU channels to get. So the KU LNB is probably good just for FTA.
Also not sure what you mean by receiver with a card, Skyvision has the 410 that they sell that 14karat has already told you about and the dish sizes you need. But looking at your first post and I'm not sure if any channels carry the Noggin shows. Maybe someone else knows where to find it.

OK, you can get Noggin in some of the packages, when looking and found it. Check out SRL for their W5-MTV Mini pack it shows only $7.59 a month or maybe even the Super Pak, can't tell if web page has been updated.

Last edited:
ok thanks! After looking at the skyvision package deal with the dish included. It's a 6ft. Is the stuff on W5 have a pretty good signal where a 6ft be enough?

All I can tell you about W5 is that it has a very good signal and I'm not sure how the 6'dish will handle it in different weather conditions. Now the 7.5' or larger dish will have the better signal. So I guess some of this will also depend on where your located.
I just checked their package price for the 410 and dish...if I were you I would start looking for a used 7.5' dish and save at least 200 dollars and then just buy the receiver.

w5 satellite is a very strong bird on my 7.5' and 10' the hits feeds are easy to receive and should not have any issues with a 6 foot dish.

Brian, my dad uses a 7ft with the 4D receiver and his signal is 'just OK'. On Ku it blows my 10' dish away, but not on C-band.
Unless you absolutely have no other choice, I'd go for at least 7 or 8 ft. And I would find one for free...
If you are anywhere close to Memphis, I can point you to several 8-10' mesh dishes that I'm sure would only require a knock on the door, a few tools, a friend, and a truck.

Thanks for the offer but I'm up in Nebraska. Should be quite a few around here. I guess when I see them I assume they are in use but I guess I should just stop and ask. Thanks for the feedback guys. Cband seems to be very interesting with all the packages and what you can do. Ideally I would like a motorized so I could hook up my fta and truly rock it out but I may just start with a fixed at W5. Maybe I will start up a sat farm again.

Brian, my dad uses a 7ft with the 4D receiver and his signal is 'just OK'. On Ku it blows my 10' dish away, but not on C-band.
Unless you absolutely have no other choice, I'd go for at least 7 or 8 ft. And I would find one for free...
If you are anywhere close to Memphis, I can point you to several 8-10' mesh dishes that I'm sure would only require a knock on the door, a few tools, a friend, and a truck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)