Noob HR22 Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NelsonBig

Original poster
May 28, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Noob HR22 Transfer to PC Question

I'm sure this question has been answered a hundred time. Sorry for the repost if so. However, I DID use the search button and I didn't come up with anything. So, here goes. Please be gentle. :confused:

Okay. I am moving and there is no DirecTV available where I'm going. I have to switch to cable (I know :down bummer). Anyway, I want to rip the video that I've already recorded. I'm pretty savvy with computers. However, The s/w for video conversions and such are pretty unknown to me. If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Even if you cannot help, I would still appreciate if you could point me to the right direction.

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but how is there no Directv available where you are moving? Do you have a lot of trees? Are you moving out of country? Apartment building? Just trying to find a way for you to not have to burn your recordings.

I would check and see if having one attached to your balcony or some other uncommon area will be okay. Don't think it is legal that they ban you from getting satellite altogether.

I'm sorry, but how is there no Directv available where you are moving? Do you have a lot of trees? Are you moving out of country? Apartment building? Just trying to find a way for you to not have to burn your recordings.

You can copy them to a DVD recorder or a VCR, the copies will be in SD only. With the right TV card you could copy them to your PC in SD.

It is iliegal for the apartment complex to prevent satellite dishes, with some restrictions. Do a search for OTARD. This is the document that lays out the rules.
Thanks for the heads up. However, after reading, I think it only applies if I have a balcony, which I don't. They can still prevent it being installed on the roof. My only option would be to place it inside a room and face it out of the window. Umm, scary. Regardless, thanks again for the heads up.

You can copy them to a DVD recorder or a VCR, the copies will be in SD only. With the right TV card you could copy them to your PC in SD.
I was hoping that wasn't the only answer. After looking around, I guess it is. Wow, I had so much hope for that ethernet port.

Thanks for the heads up. However, after reading, I think it only applies if I have a balcony, which I don't. They can still prevent it being installed on the roof. My only option would be to place it inside a room and face it out of the window. Umm, scary. Regardless, thanks again for the heads up.

I think I would look for an apartment that allowed a satellite antenna on the roof. Re copying what you have on other media, you can buy a standalone DVR for a little over $100. The downside is that presently, the input would be either s-Video or composite so in either case, its going to be SD. I was looking at one in Costco yesterday that besides the DVR, it allowed you to burn to DVD or VHS.

Last edited:
Most apartments will not allow it on the roof, However If it is a flat roof it can be mounted on a non-penetrating roof mount (technician charges usually $100 for this) or alot of the time apartments will allow a pole mount to be installed (technician charges usually $75, Apartments will normally not let it be cemented in but if the ground is ok and the pole is in deep it will not matter). By the way If you have not guessed it I am an ex-directv tech. As long as there is no damaging done to there property. Also The lines coming into the apartment can normaly be fed threw the air-conditioner.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts