Noob Install Question

knash1998

Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
Zeeland, MI
I am new to the board, and am really comtemplating installing dish network satellite service, as Charter Cable stinks for HD or even SD channels.

My question/problem is, that in thinking of my wiring situation, my main feed into my living room (where my current HDTV is setup) is coming from a splitter and is not a homerun from the main area. In addition that I have no access to re-run this cable from the basement as I recently had my basement drywalled(before I thought of getting dish).

Is this going to be a problem setting up an HD receiver with OTA capabilities though that split cable. I'm sure it's an old style 900 mhz splitter.

The other cable that it is split from not going to be used.

Thanks for the help.

knash1998 said:
Is this going to be a problem setting up an HD receiver with OTA capabilities though that split cable. I'm sure it's an old style 900 mhz splitter.

The cable run from the dish (or switch) to the receiver cannot have any splitters on it. However, the installer would probably run new lines anyway since your cable lines may not be RG-6.

As a installer the only way to insure a trouble free install and service is for every wire to be homerun from the power side of you house. A separate wire( no splitters) to every receiver at least rated for 2200 mhz. If going thought the basement is not a option maybe the attic or last option a wall penetration. That’s just my 2 cents not being there to see your house and you current cable setup that the only thing that I can say. Good luck

dragon002 said:
your first mistake is going with dish nowork for sat service

will you enjoy being constant re boots and fixes??

dragon

That is not true of all users of Dish Network. I have had dish for 6 years and have only had to reboot maybe twice.. I have the 811, and two 510's and all work fine.. So don't let one person discourage you from using Dish. They have over 11 million subs so someone likes them.

and directv has 14 million,, your point???

dragon

ps they have 9.5 mil, this is part of the reason of the FCC investigation,,,didnt know that , did ya?

Attic is not really an option, so possibly going to have to be external wall install, unless i cut a hole in the drywall.

My house is approx. 5 years old, so it may have rg6 in it already, but doubtful i suppose.

thanks for the help.

Dish customer for 8 years, the 811 was a little unstable for a while, otherwise no problems. I love my 921, and my 4 811's and my 2 311's. 5 running off RG59 that was installed in house that was built 9 years ago. All go to outside. I have added some runs with RG6, but don't anyone tell you Dish won't work on RG59 as long as there are no splitters in between. I also have finsihed basement and had to run some from outside, up through attic and back down.

dragon002 said:

dragon

Not true. I enjoy DISH very much.

sprintcarcrazy is probably still using Legacy LNBFs - they only need 1450MHz, which is considerably easier to do with RG-59.

As for the D* troll - D* requires similar cabling to E* - that is, no splitters. However, their more primitive technology is similar to the old E* Legacy stuff.

i just checked and the runs in my house are RG-6, but that still leaves me with the splitter problem. So it looks like i may have to have one external run.

I like E* lease model better than D*. I believe that with the way equipment becomes obsolete these days it's better to stay on top of new technology and if you have to spend 1,000 for and HD-DVR and it's obsolete in 6 mos. you are stuck w/ it. Granted you will have to pay for the Dish one as well, but not as much :)

Thanks for your help.

Well, the splitter never should've been sealed into the wall in the first place.

It's a (minor) safety and code violation for sure.

If you know where it is, I recommend you cut an access hole so you can mess with it. A quad-width hole would be nice, and add a blank faceplate.

This way you can replace the splitter with a barrel connector - or even a diplexer to backfeed the second room using the receiver's RF output.

Point is, one hole and a faceplate solves a lot of issues.

dragon002 said:

dragon
This was helpfull HOW?? Bored so your trolling the Dish forum looking for people to disuade..
I have had the same issues as everyone else with the 811. Right now Adelphia can not give me any HD or PQ that is worth spending money on.
The bottom line is, the picture is better with DISH than my cable co and well worth the minor aggravtion of waiting for the schedule to download, in order to have HD. I have not had to do a reboot in over 6mos.

Same here no reboots, in over 6 months on the 811's, never on the 311's and the 921 has been fine since I installed it a few weeks ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts