Noob, need answer with HD dilemma?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jasroitia

Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Atlanta
Hi all, I am new to this forum but I believe I am in the right place.

I am about to get my new plasma tv and need input on programming. I currently have directv and I am pretty happy with it but need to understand what changes do I need to make to my rcvr and programming to take advantage of my new HDTV?

Is there is HD DVR? I hear about some big changes coming with the local channels a.k.a. MPEG4, does that mean by november I need to replace whatever I order now?

Lastly what does D* and E* means?

Thanks,
KJ

D* = Directv
E* = Echostar = Dish Network

Yes there is an HD DVR. The model number is HR10-250 and if you're a current sub you can get it through the retention department for $299 - $100 rebate.

You will need a new receiver when MPEG4 is available in your area. Rumors are that they will swap out your existing equipment for free or for a minimal fee.

The MPEG4 DVR will not be available immediately after lanch of the new local HD services. The first MPEG4 receiver (The H20) will not have DVR capabilities. The MPEG4 DVR will be available sometime early next year (supposedly) and will no longer be powered by TiVo software.

Thanks for the info.

I just called D* using your infomration and they pretty much said the same as you did. Only difference, they told me that the current HD rcvr is $249 and I can expect to have new (MPEG4) system by end of the year. The upgrade will be free.

Also, the HD DVR is $649, in my case it not going to happen. Too steep!!! :eek:

Thanks again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts