Noob Question Re: RSN's

sterbz

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
If I order the AT100+ (or higher) package from E* and add the multi-sport pack for $5.99/month such that I'll get all RSN's & NBA-TV, what exactly will I be able to watch on these channels? I saw a notation on the site that no professional sports will be shown. Does this mean they'll all be blacked out (even though I'm living in another state) and I'll only get college and high school sporting events (plus the other filler programming)? I live in AZ and want to watch lots of non-AZ pro sports teams.

Also, the popular opinion seems to be that D* has a much better sports offering than E*. In looking at the package comparison chart (http://www.satelliteguys.us/bfg/comparison.htm), I don't see this being the case. I can only assume that folks are referring to premium pkg offerings on D* vs E*, instead of "regular" pkg offerings. Is this correct?

I guess I just thought I'd be filling my voids if I got all the RSN's, but the more I think about this, it sounds like the bottom line is that I wouldn't get to watch pro sports games on them, and I'll have to pay for premium pkgs instead...and D* offers them whereas E* doesn't.

I've never had satellite before...looking into it seriously now as I'm incredibly ticked off with Cox.

Thanks

In actuality, you may be able to get some games depending on where your dma is and if a particular team is close to you ie: I live in Pennsylvania and do not get Pittsburgh's rsn on my package, but would get their games on the multisports pack while the rest would be blacked out. Also some college sports are blacked out as well, but those are usually determined by conference not by location. You probably want the sports ticket packages as they offer you the out of market games. Those channels will not have any programing on them except for the games themselves (this includes the ESPN packages for football and basketball). There are some rsn's that direct has that Dish does not, depends which particular team you are wanting. They also have more of the HD rsn's than Dish has at this point. The Multisport package would get you some high school games, but a lot of the rsn's do not show them that much.

Still confused

I'm still confused. I'll try to get to the bottom line here quickly.

I live in metro-Phoenix and am only willing to pay to watch Detroit sports teams (except the Lions!) and the Big Ten. If I get others as a bonus, great. To get the Tigers, Wings, Pistons, and Wolverines (all are equally important):

Do I need to order multiple premium sports pkgs?

Is D* my only option for these pkgs since E* does not offer them, and their multi-sports pack blacks out all games that are out of my local AZ market?

Is there any other viable option (other than moving back to MI)?

All I want is an unblocked FSN-Detroit! Is it impossible to get that from Arizona?

Only way to get FSN Detroit may mean 'moving to Detroit' (if you subscribe to Phoenix locals, you will lose them). Otherwise, Pistons would be available through the NBA package, Red Wings through the NHL package. The Big Ten via the MultiSport pack may be ok or you could try the ESPN packages for football and basketball. If you want the Tigers, you will have to get DirectTV for the MLB ticket.

By 'moving to Detroit', I take it you're saying that I can program my system such that it thinks I live in Detroit? Losing all local stations as a result of this would suck just as bad, if not more, for the pure fact that some of the best HD programming is broadcast on the locals.

Wow, this is turning out to be a nightmare for my viewing preferences.

By 'moving to Detroit', I take it you're saying that I can program my system such that it thinks I live in Detroit? Losing all local stations as a result of this would suck just as bad, if not more, for the pure fact that some of the best HD programming is broadcast on the locals.

Wow, this is turning out to be a nightmare for my viewing preferences.

Correct, you change your service address to some valid address in Detriot, while keeping your billing address the same as it is now. (Do a forum search for "moving" and you'll find lots of threads on the topic!)

Also, if by local HD programming, you mean the national prime time broadcasts, then you'd keep that. What would actually happen if you "moved" to Detroit, is that your AZ locals would be replaced by Detroit locals.

Of course, one other issue to take into consideration is which sat Detriot's SD/HD Locals are on, and if they are on a spotbeam. (i.e., if they are on a spotbeam aimed toward Detroit, the signal likely wouldn't stretch all the way out to Arizona!) Some of the more knowledgeable folks on that issue should be able to pinpoint that for you.

Only way to get FSN Detroit may mean 'moving to Detroit' (if you subscribe to Phoenix locals, you will lose them). Otherwise, Pistons would be available through the NBA package, Red Wings through the NHL package. The Big Ten via the MultiSport pack may be ok or you could try the ESPN packages for football and basketball. If you want the Tigers, you will have to get DirectTV for the MLB ticket.

As of right now, E* isn't on board to carry the soon to be launched Big 10 Network.

Thanks for the informative replies.

I guess I still have a glimmer of hope. I'll look into the spotbeam aspect as it pertains to my situation to see how I'd be affected. Losing the true local aspect of Phx stations wouldn't bother me, but needing to watch shows based on the EST start time could be an issue. But that's what DVR would be all about...but in order to record more than 1 show at a time, I'd need a land line, which I have no intention of getting.

Ahhh, the joy of complications!

Thanks for the informative replies.

I guess I still have a glimmer of hope. I'll look into the spotbeam aspect as it pertains to my situation to see how I'd be affected. Losing the true local aspect of Phx stations wouldn't bother me, but needing to watch shows based on the EST start time could be an issue. But that's what DVR would be all about...but in order to record more than 1 show at a time, I'd need a land line, which I have no intention of getting.

Ahhh, the joy of complications!

With a 622, you can hang a ota antenna and still have Phoenix locals as well as what you would get from Detroit.

I just found another post that detailed a situation very similar to mine. There was no conclusion to it yet, but here's what I've come up with:

1. Billing address - "Move back to Detroit"
2. Satellite physical location - in Phoenix
3. Order E* AT100+ (at a minimum) and add the multi-sports pack. Since FSN-Detroit is picked up nationwide, I should be able to get all games as the spotbeam wouldn't be an issue.
4. Local stations - spotbeam prevents me from getting the Detroit locals (I'm now 2,000 miles from Detroit), and my billing address prevents me from getting the Phoenix locals. Get the 622 receiver and hang an OTA antenna to get the Phoenix locals. This gets me back on PST for the locals as well.

Does this sound like a doable plan?!

All professional sports (Tigers, Wings, and Pistons at a minimum; probably the WNBA team too) will all be blacked out on Fox Sports Net Detroit if you have a service address in Phoenix.

Spotbeams prevent you from getting the Detroit SD locals. But the Detroit HD locals (big 4 networks only) are available nationwide at 118.75 degrees. so your best bet is to "move" to detroit. then you'll get the big 4 in HD, nothing on FSN-Detroit will get blacked out, and you can skip the Multi-sports package.

Awesome news on the Detroit HD locals still being accesible to me! I'll just have to adjust to watching everything in EST.

Bonuses: This means I won't need an OTA antenna to get locals...and I can get the HD set without a tuner that I've been eyeing, instead of the one with the built-in tuner that was gonna set me back another 10% or so.

Does anyone know if the major E* sponsor on this site will go along with my plan? Or do I need to find another installer?

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. - If anyone else has some insight, I'm subscribed to the thread and will be checking in!

no installer will help you get out of market local channels since that violates the terms of your service agreement with echostar. to pull of your plan, you will need to get the installer to bring you a dish that picks up 118.75 and then you "move" to detroit a week or so after the install. the easiest way to get the dish you need is to (temporarily) sign up for some sort of programming that requires 118.75. you want the installer to bring you a dish 1000+ or else it won't work. i sent you a PM with the details.

I just found another post that detailed a situation very similar to mine. There was no conclusion to it yet, but here's what I've come up with:

1. Billing address - "Move back to Detroit"
2. Satellite physical location - in Phoenix
3. Order E* AT100+ (at a minimum) and add the multi-sports pack. Since FSN-Detroit is picked up nationwide, I should be able to get all games as the spotbeam wouldn't be an issue.
4. Local stations - spotbeam prevents me from getting the Detroit locals (I'm now 2,000 miles from Detroit), and my billing address prevents me from getting the Phoenix locals. Get the 622 receiver and hang an OTA antenna to get the Phoenix locals. This gets me back on PST for the locals as well.

Does this sound like a doable plan?!

One important correction...you need to "move" your SERVICE address to Detriot, and leave your billing address at your home address

Also, FSN-Detriot would be the local RSN to Detriot, therefore once you "move" you would get that channel automatically without having to get the multisport pack.

Bonuses: This means I won't need an OTA antenna to get locals...and I can get the HD set without a tuner that I've been eyeing, instead of the one with the built-in tuner that was gonna set me back another 10% or so.

Correct me if I am wrong but you could still get the TV without the tuner built into it because the 622 has a built in tuner for the HD antenna. So you could still use the antenna and get your REAL locals, plus the Detroit HD locals and RSN. :) Then you wouldn't HAVE to adjust if you didnt want to. :)

Well, after even more reading, I'm going to get the set that has the built-in tuner after all. The set is *only* going to be 32" and will initially be my primary set (i.e. definitely with a STB), but will ultimately end up as a bedroom TV once I get a bigger place (i.e. may or may not have a STB). I'd rather fork out the additional $$ for the tuner up-front just because I'm uncertain of my future set-up. It's not TOO much more.

Hopefully this all pans out. Regardless, I've learned a plethora of info in less than a day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts