Noob Question - STB & VCR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BKP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Vacationland, USA
Noob question for sure but, basically because I've never even thought about using the composite input on my VCR.. No reason to before..

So, I'm thinkin' if it's possible to use the composite output of the FTA satellite receiver to the composite input of my VCR I could save an input on my TV.. And have direct recording, taboot..

I guess my questions are.. Does this work.. How does this work.. Does the signal pass out through the composite output without the VCR on.. Are there settings on the VCR you need to change..

Thanks, Brent

sure

The VCR needs to be turned on.
And it needs to have the external composite input selected, instead of its own tuner.

I used to use my VCR as a 2-input switch to change between Dish and FTA satellite receivers.
A button on the VCR remote let me roll between:
- input 1 (front panel)
- input 2 (rear panel)
- VCR tuner
And I think any time you pressed PLAY, then the composite output contained the info from the VCR tape.
Worked well for many years.

Get some red 'n white RCA cables to connect the audio, too.
I find the stuff at the 99¢ store is adequate for most uses.
Don't spend the $99 on Monster cables.
If you're too good for the 99¢ stuff, shop at MonoPrice . com

Now, I have a hi def TV with 10 inputs. :cool:
And I threw away the VCR.

It's do-able... but you'll probably only be able to record whatever channel your fta box is on... which is a major bummer if you want to do a lot of recordings. It's ok if you don't do a lot of recording though and make sure the dish is always pointed at whatever you are trying to record and fta box is on as is vcr (although for timed recordings some vcrs have to be turned off to make the timer work).

I was doing something similar a long time ago before I looked in to getting a dvb card. If you can afford it, an invacom quad with two ports going to fta box and two going to a computer with a dvb card that's acting like a pvr for you is THE WAY to go. You'll still have to make sure you are on the right satellite with the motor (which you could set up to be controlled by the dvb card, but probably should set up to go to the fta box instead since I've read that the voltage involved in moving motors can be dangerous to computers... plus you don't want to always have to go to computer to just flip stations between birds)...

My setup just kept growing and growing once I got in to this stuff...

I use a few multi-switches to switch the RCA and S Video inputs between my various components. I have 2 cascaded together with my setup. Locally they cost around $20.

Thanks alot guys.. That straighten it out for me.. I figured it was pretty basic being a VCR..

That's an idea - using a VCR for a switch, interesting.. You must have used the front inputs..

No, I can't imagine I'll be recording too much.. Probably just stuff I really wanna watch that's on at an odd time or shows that are on at the same time..

Oh, don't worry about this cat spendin' big bucks for audio or video cables.. Inexpensive is the way to go but, quality video cables are a must..

Thanks again, Brent

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts