Noob questions on D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BrightSpot

Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Ok, it looks like my site is Ok, and I can deal with the lack of a phone connection, but I still have a question or two:

1) For new customers, D* has all kinds of deals including free dish, free installation, discounted receivers and programming, etc. The catch is the two year agreement. I also see all kinds of dealers selling all the hardware for about the same discounted price. Why buy from a dealer? Does this avoid the 2 year committment?

2) If I buy it myself and install it myself and D* doesn't work out for me, I can sell it on eBay and try something else, right? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I've read all kinds of posts where D* tries to convert your equipment into leased in their computer system. Those occurances are just oddities, right?

3) If I do #2, I can still get the discounted programming packages that D* offers, right? Do they come with a 2 years agreement also?

4) EDIT: Oh, one other question: Can I take advantage of the dual tuner DVR with one coax to each receiver? Or do I need two coax?

As you've probably gathered, I'm looking at what options are available to stay away from a 2 year agreement.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Last edited:
BrightSpot said:
Ok, it looks like my site is Ok, and I can deal with the lack of a phone connection, but I still have a question or two:

1) For new customers, D* has all kinds of deals including free dish, free installation, discounted receivers and programming, etc. The catch is the two year agreement. I also see all kinds of dealers selling all the hardware for about the same discounted price. Why buy from a dealer? Does this avoid the 2 year committment?

2) If I buy it myself and install it myself and D* doesn't work out for me, I can sell it on eBay and try something else, right? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I've read all kinds of posts where D* tries to convert your equipment into leased in their computer system. Those occurances are just oddities, right?

3) If I do #2, I can still get the discounted programming packages that D* offers, right? Do they come with a 2 years agreement also?

4) EDIT: Oh, one other question: Can I take advantage of the dual tuner DVR with one coax to each receiver? Or do I need two coax?

As you've probably gathered, I'm looking at what options are available to stay away from a 2 year agreement.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

All standard receivers come with a 1 year commitment
All Advanced receivers (any HD or DVR ) come with a 2 year commitment.

I think the commitment is due to the overall cost of the receivers, example the HD DVR (hr10-250) was listed at $ 1000. Some bought it back then. It eventually came down in price.
The HR20-700 is going for about $399 (without any rebates or other deals), D* figures it is a $800 HD DVR approx.

This is why the commitments.

I just wish , after your original commitments, that any other receivers you purchase came without a commitment, but they don't see it that way.

Jimbo

ryanm86 said:
Poor Jimbo you must answer these same questions every freakin day. Your a better man than I.
Just trying to help out ....

I should just copy and paste them or put them in my sig .....
Nah, I enjoy typing ...
Trying to pick up my typing speed anyway :D

Jimbo

Hi Jimbos and ryanm86,

I don't mean to be a wise guy or anything, but I havn't gotten answers to my questions.

I certainly understand why they have the 2 year committment, but not how an independent dealer channel can exist if it has the same restrictions and sells at the same price.

One possibility might be: A D* customer who has 5 year old equipment must pay full price and installation if he wants to upgrade? Is that the only time the dealers sell equipment, is to existing customers?

How about question 4, that should be easy.

Regards,
Scott

BrightSpot said:
Hi Jimbos and ryanm86,

I don't mean to be a wise guy or anything, but I havn't gotten answers to my questions.

I certainly understand why they have the 2 year committment, but not how an independent dealer channel can exist if it has the same restrictions and sells at the same price.

One possibility might be: A D* customer who has 5 year old equipment must pay full price and installation if he wants to upgrade? Is that the only time the dealers sell equipment, is to existing customers?

How about question 4, that should be easy.

Regards,
Scott

Q. 1, By buying from a dealer, you can OWN the equipment, most of us would rather own our own than lease.
Also with some dealers such as VE. they will give you a "Forum Discount" if you belong to the site, and I thought they added to the warrenty period, although I am NOT certian of that, but I seem to remember that ... Someone correct me if that is wrong.
IF you have questions, You can pick up the phone and actually talk to Robert !!!
Not a CSR that may have nom clue what you are asking.

2. Yes , You can sell your equipment on ebay IF you desire
If you keep an eye on your account, and see that you are being charged a lease vs a owned fee call them and change it. The two fees are both the same price though, but I see where your going with it.

3. YES

4. If you have a dual tuner DVR , you DO need two seperate coaxes to the unit.

When I left you info on the commitments, I was not trying to be a pain, I was hoping for others to jump in and answer the others , perticularly the Dealer question, as I am NOT a dealer.
So I answered that one the best I could.

Jimbo

Thanks for the answers Jimbo. I am more clear on my options now. I think I will call the ValueElectronics guys this week and get more info.

Quite honestly I am Ok with my cable service, but the lack of any pro football packages is killing me. I'm a big Cowboys fan and have high hopes for them this year. But since I live in North Carolina, I will only see the national games plus the one they play against the Panthers.

BTW, I'm Texas graduate and I suspect that game next week will be a barn burner!

Regards,
Scott

BrightSpot said:
Thanks for the answers Jimbo. I am more clear on my options now. I think I will call the ValueElectronics guys this week and get more info.

Quite honestly I am Ok with my cable service, but the lack of any pro football packages is killing me. I'm a big Cowboys fan and have high hopes for them this year. But since I live in North Carolina, I will only see the national games plus the one they play against the Panthers.

BTW, I'm Texas graduate and I suspect that game next week will be a barn burner!

Regards,
Scott
Yes, Cable has a bit to be desired when it comes to the NFL package, seeing it doesn't have one....
As for next weeks game,
I hope our Defense gets thier act together, they looked down right bad on a lot of running and screen plays.
But, seeing there are only 2 returning starters, I guess they didn't do too bad.

Alot of work needs to be done between now and next Saturday.
But this should be in the Sports forum,
Sorry guy's,

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)