noob, thinking of getting into FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

badmotorscooter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Indy
I have been researching this FTA stuff for a couple weeks now. Before I jump in any further I am wonder if I post some pictures of my location can some of you tell me if its even possible. I am completely surrounded by trees, however I have quite a bit of yard. I am condering a 31-36" dish and undecided on the STB or PC cards yet. IF it is ok I would like to post some pictures for some input.

I think everyone here likes pictures, I know I do. As far as the trees are concerned, its more a matter of how close the trees are to you and how high they are. Also, let us know where you live, if you are up north you will need to angle your dish down more than someone closer to the equator, meaning your trees will be more of a factor.

I am located about 20 minutes southwest of Indianapolis.

hope these give an idea of what i am faced with. I took these standing near the spot i think will give the best LOS. I am starting to worry the trees may be too tall.

Attachments

• west.jpg
    west.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 183
  • general southwest direction.jpg
    general southwest direction.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 178
  • south.jpg
    south.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 169
  • southeast.jpg
    southeast.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 169
  • southeast 2.jpg
    southeast 2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 169
  • east.jpg
    east.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 156
  • driveway facing east.jpg
    driveway facing east.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 169
  • north.jpg
    north.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 185
Which of those pics is facing due south? From the looks of that, I'd think you could get quite a number of the sats....remember as the dish moves west from due south it will decrease in elevation, same thing as it moves east from your true south satellite. So, as it "looks" lower trees may become obstructions.

Here's my setup on the south side of my house. Notice how close the neighbor house is, but it doesn't interfere. The only LOS issue are the neighbor trees that cut me off to the east . I still can get 72W to 148W , with no problem.
:)

Attachments

• Dish-arrangement.jpg
    Dish-arrangement.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 175
Which of those pics is facing due south? From the looks of that, I'd think you could get quite a number of the sats....remember as the dish moves west from due south it will decrease in elevation, same thing as it moves east from your true south satellite. So, as it "looks" lower trees may become obstructions.

the 4th picture should be direct south, possibly slightly right of it. if you go by the direcTV dish which i believe points SW across the pickup truck.

Here's my setup on the south side of my house. Notice how close the neighbor house is, but it doesn't interfere. The only LOS issue are the neighbor trees that cut me off to the east . I still can get 72W to 148W , with no problem.
:)

Wow, that makes me feel pretty good then. Thanks for the pic.

Putting the dish up along the eaves of the house can get you some needed elevation.
However, for a newbie, I'd recommend a short pole in the yard for getting to know your system.
And from that vantage point, use the soda straw inclinometer below, along with a PDF printout of satellite elevation, to determine which satellites you can and cannot see.

PS: a saw is your friend - :rolleyes:

ThisBUDsForYou and his soda straw inclinometer
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...a-straw-inclinometer-line-sight-pictures.html
Delta Charlie had some variation on the idea, too
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/146479-15-min-duct-tape-elevation-gauge.html

I found a dish local to me. The guy said it is brand new and has been sitting in his shop for a while. He said it measures approx. 32.5"x30" and the name on it is Samsonic(any good?). He told me I could have it with a pole, a tripod stand, and it comes with an lnb for $35. I think its a bit on the small side, but for starting out I think its worth the $35. Now I am on the prowl for a receiver and motor. I had another question, if I am just using one dish with a motor and one receiver do i need a switch of any sort?

Not sure what Samsonic is but it sounds like it's big enough you ought to be able to get quite a bit with it, not a bad price either.

As long as your LNB is a single output I don't think you need a switch with a single dish and one receiver.

I wouldn't put a motor on a tripod (unless it was bolted down)
Should get you going for your first fixed-dish experiments! - :up

I wouldn't normally recommend a 30" for the first dish.
But at that price I sure would not discourage you , especially since it includes the LNB! - :up

As for receiver suggestions, this is as good as any:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...fta-receiver-opinions-needed.html#post1533520

I just got back home with my new dish. Not sure if I should have taken the tripod as its not a ground unit, its for roof mounting, and its massively thick! He would have taken $10 off but i thought well for $10 I may find a use for it. I am planning on mounting this on the ground probably about 4 ft high on a pole. I assume I can get a 1 5/8" pole then mount the motor to it, and the dish to the motor. How do I know the correct orientation to screw the lnb down? I would guess straight up and down as possible so you can then adjust your scew with a motor? The lnb is a samsonic ace 1075, single output.

I installed a Samsonic once, good dish but, the elevation scale was off by 11 degrees!
Bob

Hi, make sure you spend some time on dishpointer.com before you settle on a spot to install the dish. Try to research some of the different satellites and see what might interest you the most. There may be a spot that you can mount the dish that will allow receiving a satellite that interest you. Also consider using two dishes if there is something in the way of you getting everything you are interested in. Looks like you have quite a lot of room to work with and you may well be able to get just about everything with two dishes mounted in carefully selected spots.

BTW - a good compass will help but you can also zoom way in on dishpointer.com and see pictures of your house.

Hope this helps, DC

PS - start with a STB receiver! Leave the much harder to setup DVB for later.

Last edited:
If you are installing a motor and sinking a pole into the ground for a permanent installation, I would use a 2 3/8" pole to bolt the motor to (much more sturdy). The dish bolts to the shaft on the motor, which would be 1 5/8".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts