NOOB VOOM Box help

bluetieman

Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
A few questions about the activated VOOM receivers on eBay which I am purchasing simply for OTA reception:

1. Once activated, can VOOM (or anyone else) ever unactivate them for OTA purposes??
2. How do I avoid step #2 on ebay (http://www.winnfreenet.com/voom-setup.html), everyone says that their box is activated, but who knows whether it is step 1 or 2.
3. What kind of antenna set up do I need? Will this Wineguard antenna be sufficient (I don't have a ton of cash to spend).
4. Anyone know where I can get the cheapest and best deal (maybe $40 - $50 total)??

Thank you very much.

bluetieman said:
A few questions about the activated VOOM receivers on eBay which I am purchasing simply for OTA reception:

1. Once activated, can VOOM (or anyone else) ever unactivate them for OTA purposes??
2. How do I avoid step #2 on ebay (http://www.winnfreenet.com/voom-setup.html), everyone says that their box is activated, but who knows whether it is step 1 or 2.
3. What kind of antenna set up do I need? Will this Wineguard antenna be sufficient (I don't have a ton of cash to spend).
4. Anyone know where I can get the cheapest and best deal (maybe $40 - $50 total)??

Thank you very much.

1. If the receiver was activated and never deactived by VOOM DBS (kill signal) then the receiver should be good to go since VOOM DBS is out of business and no longer has the ability to deactivate receivers. The only other way to deactivate a fully functional receiver is manually perform a "factory reset" via one of the system menus, in which case the receiver becomes a doorstop.

2. Buy only from a reputable dealer and ask them to guarantee the receiver is indeed active by having them state this fact in writing and providing you with an exchange or refund should the receiver fail to perform as advertised. Those seller claiming "I don't know much about this receiver" are lying...they know full well the receiver is not or was never active and is almost worthless.

3. Go to www.antennaweb.org or www.checkhd.com and check for local broadcasters and antenna recommendations in your area. Remember, the VOOM STB has an ATSC/8-VSB digital tuner (no analog); digital is better suited for line-of-sight, rooftop antenna is generally preferred to an indoor antenna (although an inexpensive antenna may very well work in many locations), some local broadcast use VHF in additional to UHF in your area.

4. eBay is full of cheap VOOM receivers, but many are a rip-off. If you do purchase a receiver on eBay, ensure it is active (activated by VOOM and never deactivated), it would be best if the VOOM receiver were from your DMA (various problems from moving from one particular DMA to another), and that it has the latest and greatest software version (can't recall what it was). I have given away VOOM receiver to friends and family, but I still have a couple sitting boxed up in the basement. I had them plugged in for several months, but between my HDTVs (all with integrated ATSC/QAM tuners), the Dish Network STBs, and a sony HD DVR have 7 tuners in place and the VOOM boxes were just gather dust. I have often thought about getting rid of them, but I just can't stand to part with them. Oh the memories of what was (41 HD channels) and the promise of what was never to come.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)