Noob wants to install switch, run cable

frenulum

Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I have a 522 DVR on the first floor and it's got that slick NTSC transmitter feature for the upstairs TV. On the roof, I have a Dish Pro 500 (AFAICT) with what looks like a single LNB. A three-cable bundle (RG6, RG6, ground) comes down from the dish and into the basement. I'm pretty sure it runs along the joists up to the TV room on the first floor, probably passing through the combiner/splitter thing for the benefit of the upstairs TV.

My wife wants to get TV in the basement, so I'm contemplating my options. I think I can convince Dish to give us some stuff to stay, since UVerse and TW have lots of promotions lately. But I figure that either they won't be willing to send an installer to do the wiring for me or maybe they will but I'd rather try to see if I can get new DVR equipment or additional content/packages instead.

So I think I can do the wiring, but it seems like there's no single obvious way to set it up. It's all really dependent on the LNBs outside and receivers inside, right? I'm thinking I can take the wiring to the current 522 and splice in a multiswitch. Then I'll take the old DVR 501 that I have (currently unused) and use that in the basement, hooking it and the 522 to the outputs of the multiswitch. But with whatever wiring I do, I'd like the option to try out a 722, 922, or other slick receiver sometime in the future. Regardless of what's installed in the basement, I don't think I'd take advantage of a dual-tuner down there. Maybe for the DVR, but not likely for the benefit of a second (fourth total) TV.

I think I'm handy enough to install the switch and run the cabling through the drop ceiling in the basement. I doubt that I'm handy enough to install a new dish or LNBs, or run more cables from outside->inside.

BTW, is there a noob's guide to the compatibility among dish receivers and LNBs, switches? Something that looks like a big table? I'm trying to piece together what I read on the forums and it seems like I haven't found a single comprehensive post yet.

You should have a Dishpro Plus Twin, or possible a just a Dishpro Twin on the 500 dish.
If it is a Plus Twin, only one of the coax lines might be in use if there is a separator on the 522. Tthe other can be used to run another dishpro rec

501s are being phased out. They may not reactivate it, or may upgrade it to a 512 without a contract

If you want a 722 or 922, they will require a tech visit to install it and a new dish with a new contract

If you don't need a separate tuner in the basement, you can split the TV2 output at the diplexer (looks like a splitter)

You should have a Dishpro Plus Twin, or possible a just a Dishpro Twin on the 500 dish.
If it is a Plus Twin, only one of the coax lines might be in use if there is a separator on the 522. Tthe other can be used to run another dishpro rec

Is there anything I can look for to distinguish between them? Will it indicate "Dishpro Plus Twin" somewhere on there?

501s are being phased out. They may not reactivate it, or may upgrade it to a 512 without a contract

Ok, good to know.

If you want a 722 or 922, they will require a tech visit to install it and a new dish with a new contract

Even if I pick up a used one on ebay? Does this mean that hooking those up isn't as simple as installing a switch?

If you don't need a separate tuner in the basement, you can split the TV2 output at the diplexer (looks like a splitter)

Clever idea. I don't think it'll fly with the wife, though. Unless you could get a second remote to operate that half of the 522.

On the front of the lnb, Dishpro simply say Dish Pro -- Dishpro Plus ones say DP Plus

You can use 722 or 922 with a 500 dish, but will not get much HD programming off it.
You won't need a switch with Dishpro Plus lnbs but you will need a separator on the rec.

If you do buy used, call Dish before you buy with the rec and smartcard numbers to make sure it is not a leased unit or has a balance on it. The DIRT members might be able to do it for you as well.

You can get an extra remote off ebay cheap and match the UHF freq address on your rec

Is there anything I can look for to distinguish between them? Will it indicate "Dishpro Plus Twin" somewhere on there?
The easiest way to see what LNB you have is to look at the system info screen on your receiver (Menu-6-1-3). It will also tell you if your system has a separator as well.

I split the TV2 out with a splitter for the TV in my basement and bought another remote. I wasn't in both places at the same time so it worked out ok.

If the dish catcher ever comes out, that might be an option as well. ( upgrade to 722, free sling adapter, plus catcher )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts