Normal for SD to HD upgrade?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glasssplinter

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
4 Corners
Just wondering what kind of experiences people had with this and if mine is something to be expected. We've had DTV for almost 3 years now and have had only one promo that we used. We had gotten out of the 2 year contract, things weren't going well and we called in needing to cancel to save some money. Well, they worked with us, offered us enough credits we could afford it and we decided to stay. Here we are almost a year later and we're doing better and want to get HD.

Called in and asked what we would have to do and CSR said we just need a receiver and the HD service activated. When we purchase the receiver though ($99), we also get locked back into a 2 year contract. Didn't much care for that and called in again and asked for retentions to see what kind of deal we could get and they only offered a couple of free channels and movie package stuff, no deals on the equipment. I've got no problems paying for the receiver but if I'm not getting a deal on it, why do I want a 2 year contract again? Is this normally how this happens? I've heard of some people getting an entire HD DVR system for almost nothing just to stay and they even asked if we wanted the DVR stuff and I just told them that the regular HD receiver would be fine. Thanks for the feedback!

If you add or upgrade a receiver it adds another 2 year contract. Only way it don't is if you're swapping a defective receiver.

If you currently only have SD then your dish will need upgraded to a new slimline dish in order to receive the HD just so you know and think its as easy as getting the box and everything works.

:welcome to Satelliteguys glasssplinter!

I have heard of many different offers from Directv, but never a waiver of commitment when upgrading. Sorry!

Thanks for the info, didn't know if this was normal practice. Looking at it from other companies and the way they do two year upgrades (cell phones) it just seems a little odd.

Hutch, from what the CSR said we only need the receiver as they mentioned nothing of a new dish.
raoul, thanks! Well, that's a bummer that they make you recommit for full price upgrading. Kinda feel a little left out since when we originally got service we could have gotten so much more stuff but didn't have a TV to support it.

If you're going from SD to HD you will need a new receiver and dish. Normally its $99 for the reciever and $50 for install so getting it for $99 installed is pretty good deal. If you want a HD DVR then retention should be able to help with a deal

Thanks for the info, didn't know if this was normal practice. Looking at it from other companies and the way they do two year upgrades (cell phones) it just seems a little odd.

Hutch, from what the CSR said we only need the receiver as they mentioned nothing of a new dish.
raoul, thanks! Well, that's a bummer that they make you recommit for full price upgrading. Kinda feel a little left out since when we originally got service we could have gotten so much more stuff but didn't have a TV to support it.

Take a look at your Menu-Settings-Info and Test-More System Info

Go down to Dish Type and tell us what it says ....

You will need a Slimline 3 or 5 to get HD signals.

Might have to see what they can do on a HD DVR as it might be a better deal overall.
Here's what the info screen shows: 3-LNB (18"x20")
Thanks for your help!

Jimbo said:
Take a look at your Menu-Settings-Info and Test-More System Info

Go down to Dish Type and tell us what it says ....

You will need a Slimline 3 or 5 to get HD signals.

This isn't a good way to tell, you can set a receiver to a slimline 5 and be fine with programming and never know the receiver is set to it. See it all the time :)

It says multi satellite on it, not slim line. So that means that they would have to upgrade the dish as well. I guess overall then if they are going to have to put some money into the upgrade for equipment and install that makes me feel better about doing the upgrade. Just have to save up now for two HD receivers. Thanks for the help!

when i was with Direct and upgraded to HD i didn't pay anything for the two receivers that they brought out. one DVR and one HD.
they did the install of the slimline at no charge also. my only cost was the $10.00 a mo for HD.

i can only guess that was a deal because i had been with them for 12 years in good standing. i have found that the ones that CRY the loudest and the longest get the best deals.

Yeah that's alot longer and glad you were able to get something out of it. Know what you mean about that but not going to argue too much if they have to put some $ into it. Just didn't want to "buy" the equipment for the full price, them sit back and get the money while I'm locked into a new contract where they provided nothing at a reduced cost.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)